scoobydoo

Is the made in the USA Atlas Rotary really this much of a piece of $hi! ?

Rate this topic

24 posts in this topic

How much do you have to spend to get a quality intelligently designed vise?

I was looking forward to this thing.....and it crashed and burned the second I put the assembly into the post threaded into the base....

The tolerances were so laughably bad....to take up the slop.  I wrapped 30lb Tuffline waxed rigging floss around the rod where it inserts into the post/ sleeve....I used friction tape but didn't like the color goo....But the fact I could still fit the rod with wraps of friction tape is a joke....I wrapped the thumb screws as well as they wanted to back out all the time....and not maintain a lock.

The tolerances all over this thing are abysmal.

I don't understand how they let these go out the door like this....(many others have mentioned the same)

The notches cut in the jaws are cut perpendicular to the jaws themselves....and cut straight...so you can only put a straight section of hook in the notch.....Unfortunately your hook shank now just continues at the same angle of the arm.....Instead of a horizontal presentation.  What is the point of having a rotary vise if the head of what i'm tying sits at a 45 and flip flops when rotated

Why not offer a joint or a reciprocal bend in the armature.....

The vise doesn't really even lock up clean...I thought I was upgrading from my childhood chinesium cabelas vise 15$ 

The rotation is herky jerky....sticks  and lets go....cleaned out a few metal shavings...and lubed the bone dry armature with 100$ grease....crap design.....no way to fix 

I saw everything mentioned in a few videos....and all played them down...How ass backwards is the fly tying industry?  All these reviewers saying it's a good value, quality, sturdy.....Are they all trying to suck the MFR's teet for freebies or something.....

I don't even tie flies....just jigs....

I think the only made in the USA product of any quality I've purchased int he past year has been power pro.

I haven't used the Atlas vise, so I have no comment.  I CAN say that the Renzetti and Dyna-King lines, the apparent leaders, are wildly expensive for what they are. (See my "Underwhelmed by Renzetti" thread in this Forum). This is one of those corners where American producers, small, family businesses, have gotten sclerotic. They're ripe for annihilation by any Chinese machinist. The rise and fall of American industry, in miniature.

Couldn't agree more about reviewer, on-line ones for sure, but print aren't much better...

Not sure where the line between a reviewer and a pimp should be drawn, but I'm pretty sure the pimps are generally more honest...promise an experience you won't forget and no one forgets herpes.

1 hour ago, scoobydoo said:

How much do you have to spend to get a quality intelligently designed vise?

I was looking forward to this thing.....and it crashed and burned the second I put the assembly into the post threaded into the base....

The tolerances were so laughably bad....to take up the slop.  I wrapped 30lb Tuffline waxed rigging floss around the rod where it inserts into the post/ sleeve....I used friction tape but didn't like the color goo....But the fact I could still fit the rod with wraps of friction tape is a joke....I wrapped the thumb screws as well as they wanted to back out all the time....and not maintain a lock.

The tolerances all over this thing are abysmal.

I don't understand how they let these go out the door like this....(many others have mentioned the same)

The notches cut in the jaws are cut perpendicular to the jaws themselves....and cut straight...so you can only put a straight section of hook in the notch.....Unfortunately your hook shank now just continues at the same angle of the arm.....Instead of a horizontal presentation.  What is the point of having a rotary vise if the head of what i'm tying sits at a 45 and flip flops when rotated

Why not offer a joint or a reciprocal bend in the armature.....

The vise doesn't really even lock up clean...I thought I was upgrading from my childhood chinesium cabelas vise 15$ 

The rotation is herky jerky....sticks  and lets go....cleaned out a few metal shavings...and lubed the bone dry armature with 100$ grease....crap design.....no way to fix 

I saw everything mentioned in a few videos....and all played them down...How ass backwards is the fly tying industry?  All these reviewers saying it's a good value, quality, sturdy.....Are they all trying to suck the MFR's teet for freebies or something.....

I don't even tie flies....just jigs....

I think the only made in the USA product of any quality I've purchased int he past year has been power pro.

I had one.    Pretty much agree with everything you've written.   Tolerances are crap and the rotary feel is even crappier. As soon as I saved up a little cash I sold it and bought a Stonfo Rotary.  (made in Italy).    It's sad since there really doesn't appear to be any quality control and with today's modern CNC equipment there is no excuse and it wouldn't have cost much if anything to tighten up the tolerances and offer a product much better than what they've offered.   I suspect  Wolffe Industries are run by folk that don't fish or tie flies and probably contracted this out to some local machine shop that doesn't understand the true functionality of a good fly vise.   

My Stonfo was almost twice the cost but more than twice the vise.  Two sets of jaws as well as a tube fly adapter.    So far I like it but don't like the base.   Much too light and moves all around trying to put decent tension on mono thread.

HT

5 hours ago, HillTop said:

I had one.    Pretty much agree with everything you've written.   Tolerances are crap and the rotary feel is even crappier. As soon as I saved up a little cash I sold it and bought a Stonfo Rotary.  (made in Italy).    It's sad since there really doesn't appear to be any quality control and with today's modern CNC equipment there is no excuse and it wouldn't have cost much if anything to tighten up the tolerances and offer a product much better than what they've offered.   I suspect  Wolffe Industries are run by folk that don't fish or tie flies and probably contracted this out to some local machine shop that doesn't understand the true functionality of a good fly vise.   

My Stonfo was almost twice the cost but more than twice the vise.  Two sets of jaws as well as a tube fly adapter.    So far I like it but don't like the base.   Much too light and moves all around trying to put decent tension on mono thread.

HT

I assume you bought the transformer?

I'm likely to return this and get the stonfo elite....can it take a 5/0 bass jig hook.

And can I wrench on it..like really pull on some heavy thread.. (puffball jigs take some pressure to flare the rubber)

I'm not interesting in tying flies...just jig hooks..I don't even need a fancy vise...a cordless drill or vice grip would work fine..lol...I just want something that looks pretty should I decide to film it.

I'm also considering the Regal saltwater revolution with the UV colored head..literally only because that UV purple pops on camera.

6 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I haven't used the Atlas vise, so I have no comment.  I CAN say that the Renzetti and Dyna-King lines, the apparent leaders, are wildly expensive for what they are. (See my "Underwhelmed by Renzetti" thread in this Forum). This is one of those corners where American producers, small, family businesses, have gotten sclerotic. They're ripe for annihilation by any Chinese machinist. The rise and fall of American industry, in miniature.

Brian...I've about had it with made in the USA...seriously..

I'm at the point that If it says made in the USA....I'll look elsewhere....time and time and time and time and time again....

I see lotsa chineseum vises....I'd bet that at 1/4 the price they offer more precision and performance.

11 hours ago, BrianBM said:

I can't speak of Atlas as I have no experience, I'm a Dynaking man.  But I have no problem paying more for US/UK/EU built gear if its good quality. I have always avoided Chinese gear at all costs. I like to award innovation rather than cheap replication.  

6 hours ago, scoobydoo said:

I assume you bought the transformer?

I'm likely to return this and get the stonfo elite....can it take a 5/0 bass jig hook.

And can I wrench on it..like really pull on some heavy thread.. (puffball jigs take some pressure to flare the rubber)

I'm not interesting in tying flies...just jig hooks..I don't even need a fancy vise...a cordless drill or vice grip would work fine..lol...I just want something that looks pretty should I decide to film it.

I'm also considering the Regal saltwater revolution with the UV colored head..literally only because that UV purple pops on camera.

This is the Atlas I had purchased and subsequently sold.

Atlas.png.2413e56c1242bad54a1e739cf51519f8.png

If you want a rugged vise for just tying jig hooks look at the Regal vise.   Last your's and your grandchildren's lifetime and all you'll ever need.    They have a less expensive non-rotary as well.

regal.png.44442b89ffc4b1a87de051502580f8fd.png

HT

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have the Atlas pictured above. I bought it because it was made in USA and the price was right. That was over five years ago, and it works for me. Maybe quality control has deteriorated or I'm just dense and numb.  The first vise I had was called a triple AA from a kit my mom gave me when I was 12 years old. The Atlas is a vast improvement. I tie mostly salt water patterns with it and they catch fish. Hopefully after reading this review,  I don't  begin to have problems with it or my head is filled with doubt and want for an elite vise, a Porsche or a Maserati. I do like and have T and T rods  and appreciate the USA engineering that hasn't been smuggled out by the Red Menace from Hong Kong. The  T and T four piece eight weight fits nicely behind the backseat of my 2001 chevy pickup. Growing up with five bros and sisters, I understand value and ate what mom put out and enjoyed it.

Edited by yarddog59

Ditto on the Stonfo, Hilltop. Expensive? Yes!  But all inclusive and beautifully done.  Haven't experienced any base problems yet. Hey, it's made in Florence (Firenze) Italy.  There are a lot of beautiful artworks there and Stonfo is another.  I am prejudiced, being Roman and all.

Had basically the same experience with the Anvil Apex. Awful tolerances, jaw notches basically impossible to use, jerky rotary...but the breaking point for me was that thumb screw CONSTANTLY coming loose. Gifted the Anvil to a beginner tyer and replaced it with a Renzetti Traveller that I couldn't be happier with. 

9 hours ago, The Fisherman said:

Just don't buy this light:

I think I have the most elaborately lit fishing tackle bench on the planet.......I don't think that's an exxageration.

Don't think I'll be needing any lights any time soon...lol

It's backlit with a pair of 80 watt led street lamps....and that's just the backlighting. :)