surfcast

lubricants and hook files ?

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Wanted to get some opinions on some different products, I wanted to buy. First off Penn reel grease, and Liberty synthetic oil.

Any good for reel lubrication, or money spent better else ware? Next I was thinking of purchasing a hook Dr slick hook  sharpener,

same question.

https://duckduckgo.com/?q=dr+slick+hook+sharpener&t=chromentp&atb=v222-1&ia=web

Thumbs up on Dr. Slick diamond hook file.

Penn grease is good but there are lots of other good products out there as well.

For a good general reel lube, get yourself a tub of marine wheel bearing grease.

Any good auto parts store will have it and it’s inexpensive.

Don’t know anything about Liberty Synthetic oil, but if your looking for synthetic oil, you can just buy a quart of synthetic motor oil.

I’ve had good luck with Mobil 1.

Second valentine,

the big dr. slick files are good. I own atleast 2.

Penn grease is good but, I dont think it's any different than Marine grease, its definitely cheaper. That's what I use.

Posted (edited) · Report post

I don't have the Dr Slick hook sharpener, but they do generally make excellent products. The best tying scissors that I've ever used are from Dr Slick. I agree that a diamond type file is a good choice for these chemically sharpened hooks as well the other hooks when all you need is to touch up the point. I have a Rapala metal file that I use for larger hooks that need to be sharpened. 

I've used Penn grease, and there's not a thing wrong with it. There may be better grease, but likely depends on the reel & how much you use it, plus how often you re-lube. Reel oils will be a lower viscosity oil generally than motor oils, but you're also not talking about the same loads & heat with a reel. 

I used Quantum's Hot Sauce oil & grease in the past, and no problem as far as it's performance, but I didn't care for how it turned everything it came in contact with a red color. I now  prefer Ardent's Reel Butter products for my casting reels, but for spinning reels, most any reel oil & grease is fine. I also still use Penn grease on my older Penn casting type reels, of which I have several. 

I've used 3 in 1 oil & petroleum jelly for spinning reels and never had any issue, but my spinning reels have never been expensive reels either. I also have a few tubes of oil sold for Zebco reels and never had a problem. 

IMO, the only place a grease can be critical is on a drag that needs to be greased. Cal's Drag grease is what I've used for that purpose. 

Grease & oil both can become issues in extreme temperatures, but likely for most folks fishing purposes, it's not ever going to become a problem as long as the reels are cleaned periodically and  properly maintained. Of course if you dunk a reel, especially in saltwater, a reel should be cleaned & re-lubed. 

For any of the reel grease & oil brands that have been in use for a long time, you should never have a mechanical failure because of the grease or oil themselves not doing their job.

Beyond that, IMO, it becomes a personal choice what you use and in some cases the price you may pay has some bearing on that choice. Some of these brands have become pricey. 

Edited by Jim H

How about super lube grease and, oil some say it's good on reels.

I have the tube for the grease gun, I use it on tools and a lot of other things.   

4 hours ago, surfcast said:

How about super lube grease and, oil some say it's good on reels.

I have the tube for the grease gun, I use it on tools and a lot of other things.   

I’ve used super lube in reels and I think it performed pretty well.
One of the things I like about it is that it has no color and is a very clean grease to work with.

16 hours ago, surfcast said:

The dr hook file is offered in two grits, any Idea which to get? 

I use hooks larger salt water type 4/0 to 10/0 

What are the grits?

Googles them and couple good vids came up, basicly 4" for small hooks, I believe med/fine grit. The six inch for larger hooks with med/coarse grit.