ribeye

pork back ribs

Rate this topic

9 posts in this topic

Is there any advantage / disadvantage to applying the dry rub today for Thursday when they will be smoked ? Thanks.

If the rub is salt heavy they will basically dry brine and become a bit hammy and less ribby. I know from experience. I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you like hammy ribs.

I often rub ribs or pork butt for 12-24 hours before I smoke them with no issues. Rubbing the day before is a great flavor step whether grilling or smoking meats.

11 hours ago, chitala383 said:

If the rub is salt heavy they will basically dry brine and become a bit hammy and less ribby. I know from experience. I wouldn't recommend it. Unless you like hammy ribs.

Thanks for the help , I'm going to wait. Thanks.

5 hours ago, Vt coast said:

I often rub ribs or pork butt for 12-24 hours before I smoke them with no issues. Rubbing the day before is a great flavor step whether grilling or smoking meats.

Pork Butt is much different than ribs, especially baby backs. A pork butt is a thick mass of meat, so rub penetration is very minor. This is much like folks that marinate something like a roast beef. In reality, the marinade penetration is less than 1/2 inch into the roast.

Ribs are relatively skinny......12 hours may be okay, 24 not so much. Lately I have found I get better results rubbing the ribs perhaps 2 hours at most before they hit the smoker.

I find any time I use my smoker (wsm) or grill for anything it takes much longer for the outside of the meat to dry out in the fridge than I would have thought so you might want to keep that in mind depending on your style of cook and final presentation. Ribs are generally cryovac and I find it’s worth it to rinse and dry them well, that cryovac juice can get a little gamey.  

For ribs I usually sprinkle with kosher salt the night before.  The (salt-less) rub goes on right before being placed on smoker.

On 8/4/2020 at 9:17 PM, chitala383 said:

Found this out the hard way years ago. Funny thing is some folks that visit us DO like the hammy ribs and Sometimes I prepare both. They almost smell bacon’y ( if that’s even a term) when cooking as well. So when we are doing for a crown some get rubbed with a salt based rub early in the day and sit refrigerated while the rest will be rubbed just prior to going in the cooker.