NEED GUIDANCE!! Hobie Mirage V1 Sprocket stripped. Need new sprocket?

Hoping someone might be able to guide me. I believe I stripped my V1 mirage drive Sprocket. No matter how much I tighten the screw, the mast Pin and fin on one side pop out anytime I paddle against strong current.   I end up having to cut my trips short and paddling (usually frantically) back to shore. 

1) I’m not sure if a stripped sprocket is the problem but I can’t think of anything else.

2) I am having a really hard time locating a v1 sprocket. Seems like nobody has them in stock. Any leads on where I may find one?

thanks so much. 

6B5CC23E-4DB8-4FDF-8F6F-CD1B33BD18D2.jpeg

CBB430CF-4620-4303-8FE1-F1D7D0F14B3F.jpeg

(*member formerly known as 'ER31400')

6 mins ago, Jeffz1 said:

Looks like you could drill and tap a new hole. Probably be the easiest fix too.

A Texas kayak store managed to track one down for me but it may be a while before it delivers. I’ll give it a shot.

i just hope it’s the sprocket that is the actual problem.

Worst comes to worst ... drill a hole through the mast and the other side of the sprocket... then use a narrow nut and bolt (or even ss bailing wire) to secure. Good luck

Any society that charges it's own children for knowledge, is doomed to fail.

Whilst intelligence is not affected by geography, it is influenced by education, opportunity and drive.   

Now is the time to change our attitude towards blues, next year may well be too late (Somebody listened :th: )
Member of the Yellow Eyed Devils
May you never have to fish to live, rather live to fish.

Grind the front side of the steel mast and give a flat surface, drill and tap a set screw and insert from front 

don’t over tighten the set screw as threads on plastic will get stripped

use ample amount of JB weld (will be permanent)

replace with new when arrives

be sure to constantly cool the shaft while grinding so the heat won’t melt the plastic fin

Yellow Eyed Devils
There's no Sense in Nonsense!

So let me get this right.... Set screw that holds the mast in place is not staying tight because the female thread is stripped..

If it were me i'd just helicoil the hole, loctite the screw & be done with it, no new anything, no grinding & drilling new holes....

you'll now have steel threads in place of the plastic one, ... A stainless helicoil will out last the kayak....

23 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

I stripped my V1 mirage drive Sprocket. No matter how much I tighten the screw, the mast Pin and fin on one side pop out anytime I paddle against strong current.  

Just re-read this ...Can you confirm something;

Are the actual threads in the plastic stripped or is it the wrench hex in the set screw that's stripped & its the wrench that's is spinning in the screw?

Your post Is kind of ambiguous, You stated "no matter how much i tightened the screw" ...

Sorta suggests to me that there's still threads in there but you just cant get the screw tight enough, it just keeps loosening on you.....

45 mins ago, BillZ said:

Just re-read this ...Can you confirm something;

Are the actual threads in the plastic stripped or is it the wrench hex in the set screw that's stripped & its the wrench that's is spinning in the screw?

Your post Is kind of ambiguous, You stated "no matter how much i tightened the screw" ...

Sorta suggests to me that there's still threads in there but you just cant get the screw tight enough, it just keeps loosening on you.....

you are correct. It keeps loosening up on me. Seems like the plastic is stripped (not the screw). I’ll try the Loctite. Thanks

1 hour ago, BillZ said:

So let me get this right.... Set screw that holds the mast in place is not staying tight because the female thread is stripped..

If it were me i'd just helicoil the hole, loctite the screw & be done with it, no new anything, no grinding & drilling new holes....

you'll now have steel threads in place of the plastic one, ... A stainless helicoil will out last the kayak....

That’s a good idea. Thanks.

18 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

That’s a good idea. Thanks.

Yeah, Helicoils are great, thats a permanent fix & an upgrade to any threaded  plastic component, it opens up a whole new door to future repairs.... don't know your thread size but a 10-24 repair kit is about 20 bucks, probably more cost effective then buying a whole new part.

Reason i suggested helicoiling the original hole is; that thread is already in the most optimal place, Its buried inside that thick gusset.... that gives you the most thread engagement possible, if a hole is drilled & tapped anywhere else on the outside of that little hub, you will only have about 1/2 the thread engagement in the surrounding matl & in plastic you want the most engagement possible....that thread, even in the thick section, already stripped once....

5f2c0fd01ff34_strippedthread.jpeg.7f96e83f51b045017ff2a275ebfe995f.jpeg

Edited by BillZ

dude...

you have it in wrong. the thread is on the other side man.

nevermind! didnt realize the V1 didnt have the screw in sprockets. Just upgrade it with the v2 sprocket. im sure theres alot of us that have the mast and fin in our garage frmo when we all switched from that to turbo fins.

Edited by chewy2000913