Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Deerslayer6837

Spinning reel on conventional rod

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

4 hours ago, Deerslayer6837 said:

Is it a problem to use a spinning reel on a conventional rod. Specifically a 12 ft 2016 St. Croix Legend? Thanks

Welcome aboard deerslayer

I have an Ithaca deer  slayer...:th:

As long as the first guide isn't too tiny for the reel spool you should be good. The tfo gis is marketed as being both spinning and conventional. I have the 10'6" 2-6 version and use a daiwa bg 5000 on it and it's great.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Spinning rod guides and conventional rod guides (always were) traditionally wrapped on opposite sides of the rod spline

Edited by SC

When new, is ok. But dont switch back to conventional reel after that.

As SC mention, guides were wrapped opposite side of back bone. My mates and I tried before, our rods break after switching spin n convt back n forth. But no problem at all when stick with spin only, "when new".

Assuming your using it to chunk since it a 12’ .. for that no problem .. idk if I’d be tossing plugs all day with it but to send some lead and meat it will work 

On 8/4/2020 at 3:37 PM, Deerslayer6837 said:

Is it a problem to use a spinning reel on a conventional rod. Specifically a 12 ft 2016 St. Croix Legend? Thanks

I always do that and also try my conventional reels on my fly rods... pairing is way overrated

I just love getting on for some refreshing discussion.

Many rods are now made to use both as spinning and conv, The spline use to determine where the guides were installed but it is not as pronounced on new blanks due to better technology in construction

Posted (edited) · Report post

On 8/5/2020 at 6:02 AM, SC said:

Spinning rod guides and conventional rod guides (always were) traditionally wrapped on opposite sides of the rod spline

Which reallyrmakes no difference when in use I wrap dual purpose often... I remember a test cast aiming at my 100 yard tiny wire flag next to the tape measure.... Got a leaner... Got it on film too... 

If fishing braid it's barely noticeable 

Ive even acid wrapped the first 3 guides of some high end spinners that I got bored with and made them into bfs rods... I can throw 1/20th of an ounce and have a blast doing so with my baitcasters 

Edited by scoobydoo

tried to make it work on a cts vapor trail wrapped conventional.  too much line slap on the gathering guide

18 hours ago, baldwin said:

The words spine and spline are both used. I used to see spline more often a few decades ago.

I know; been wrapping rods for 50 years, seen them both. Spine is the word to use, spline is wrong.