sold 5 22kw generators since yesteday

Rate this topic

coolhandfluke

20 mins ago, Bass Ackwards said:

We have an 8500 portable that's running now. It powers the hot water, well pump, and most of the house. Have to be very stingy using flipping switches on. Our generator is about 5 years old, paid about $700 for it and another $600 for the election to hook it up with some sort of a box thingy. It's running now.

I have this same deal however its not strong enough to run the AC

6 mins ago, Cavemonkey said:

I have this same deal however its not strong enough to run the AC

Same here, our two window air conditioners had to be turned off. We also have full power in the kitchen and our other fridg and freezer.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

I have 8k I bought a couple years ago and it stayed in the box till the last outage. Really didn't want to use it unless I had to, fear of the unknown. The gen is large enough to run everything except the ac. Also had the electrician install an outside receptacle to the panel and a panel cover lock out so it can only run on the gen or the service.  The gen runs on either propane or gasoline, so I have been accumulating tanks.  With the 75' cable the whole thing ran about $1500. 

My neighbor has a home standby maybe 4 years old and I believe paid $8000 and it's sweet. Only issue they had was the first time it was needed the power went out. The power came right back shutting down the gen and went right out again. The gen never restarted but since than the same circumstances have recurred without that issue. 

6 mins ago, IsmailG said:

Keep telling myself to buy one and keep procrastinating, after today I'm definitely getting one. Most important for me is fridge and AC, 10KW should enough no?

NO, not with AC. Depending on the size of the AC I would guess 14,000 bare minimum.

fishinambition  Posted June 30 ·After a decade and a half of trolling and disrupting the website, frank's finally fed up with Tim's bull****

22kw will run pretty much everything in a house with a 200amp service.  as for the pad, you no longer have to put the concrete pad under it. you can box out an area with stone.

the gen and transfer switch is just under 5k

Fish come and go, but memories of fishing with family last forever.

2 mins ago, coolhandfluke said:

22kw will run pretty much everything in a house with a 200amp service.  as for the pad, you no longer have to put the concrete pad under it. you can box out an area with stone.

the gen and transfer switch is just under 5k

Are you selling mostly NG ones? I can't imagine keeping a 22kw genny full of gasoline. 

I'll have mine on the rocks.

I can see why whole-house generators are becoming more common. The New York Times is reporting today that there are over a million outages just in New Jersey: with that number, it's going to be a long time before everyone is back online. Going two or three weeks without power, or even with a portable generator (and no A/C) would suck balls.

Terri Mae does not approve this message, but screw him.

7500 watt Gillette gen set here. Enough to run refrigeration, heat , some lights, Master bedroom a/c. The trick is not all at once. My father and I did the transfer switch and sub panel. Judicious use of the breakers in the sub panel keeps everything on an even keel till the utility company gets things running again. 

We were out 13 days during Sandy! The biggest concern is fuel. The gas tanks on modern cars prevent siphoning for use in the Generator. Figure on having 2 day gas reserve in a big storm till the gas stations are up and running.

My son has one of the large Generac built ins on propane. Terrific system as long as the electronics package holds up. His does not have a manual override. 

Marc  

"Don't mess with old farts...age and treachery will always overcome youth and skill! BS and brilliance only come with age and experience!"

In favor of an immediate moratorium on both Commercial and Recreational taking of Striped Bass.