Baitandswitched

Fishing Wife Needs Help Surprising Husband!

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

Hi all!

I'm going to cut right to the chase.  My husband is a huge Striper enthusiast.  Our wedding anniversary is August 29th and I wanted to take him fishing on either the Damriscotta or Sheepscot river.  He has always laughed and poked fun at my lack of fishing know-how so I'm DETERMINED to surprise him with this trip.  I have borrowed a 25" outboard from my brother and I plan on departing early in the morning for a nice long day of fishing.

I was hoping you guys could tell me which of the 2 rivers would be better for Stripers this time of year, as well as any other tips I should know of for a successful anniversary surprise :D  He has all the gear in the world in the garage, if you could provide that too it would help make for an even better surprise!  

I attached a photo of the map area I was thinking of taking him.
God bless you all.

Donna

Screenshot at Aug 04 10-45-15.png

Welcome to SOL.  Your husband is a lucky fellow and I commend your efforts.  Perhaps an inquiry would be better answered in the Coastal Maine/New Hampshire sub-forum.  

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/forum/16-coastal-mainenh-fishing/

As far as your question goes however, SOL is a very public forum and it is generally frowned upon to publicly divulge specifics about fishing locations.  This is something that we call “spot burning” in the fishing community and is very much a no no, especially in a public forum setting. Perhaps it would be a better approach to ask in the Maine/NH forum about local guide services or tackle shops in the area that would be able to help you while not putting specific details about any locations on blast.  I hope you understand and good luck in your search.  :)

I don’t know the areas, unfortunately, but I have to tell you that this is just such a great gift and he’s lucky to have you. I hope you both have a wonderful time together and I wish you nothing but the best of luck. 

Tim, transfer this to the right subforum. Will you. For this nice lady.

I`m sure nothing will actualy burn.

Would you have the opportunity to pre-fish and learn the area a little? Maybe somebody from this site would be willing to tag along, or a local tackle shop can recommend somebody who could guide you. Come to think of it, does your brother fish the area? Or, he might know someone who does, and the three of you could put in a few hours a week or two in advance. 

I'm so I'm so sorry!  I will try to redo this post in that forum.  I had no idea "spot burning" was a thing either.  I appreciate all your suggestions about tackle shops and local guide services.  My brother is more of a yuppie pardon my language.  The boat doesn't get much use unless it's being driven to a fancy restaurant in Portsmouth so he's been relatively useless.  I will repost this in the "Coastal Maine/New Hampshire sub-forum" as recommended by @Water Dog

Posted (edited) · Report post

No need to apologize...  it’s all good! :)  Hopefully, people on the Maine sub forum will be able to help.  Either way, you’re gonna have a blast drift fishing on your anniversary.

Edited by Water Dog

On 8/4/2020 at 1:48 PM, Baitandswitched said:

Hi all!

I'm going to cut right to the chase.  My husband is a huge Striper enthusiast.  Our wedding anniversary is August 29th and I wanted to take him fishing on either the Damriscotta or Sheepscot river.  He has always laughed and poked fun at my lack of fishing know-how so I'm DETERMINED to surprise him with this trip.  I have borrowed a 25" outboard from my brother and I plan on departing early in the morning for a nice long day of fishing.

I was hoping you guys could tell me which of the 2 rivers would be better for Stripers this time of year, as well as any other tips I should know of for a successful anniversary surprise :D  He has all the gear in the world in the garage, if you could provide that too it would help make for an even better surprise!  

I attached a photo of the map area I was thinking of taking him.
God bless you all.

Donna

Screenshot at Aug 04 10-45-15.png

Can't comment on Sheepscot since I never fished there and when asking a local guide about it his comment was "Don't".

I do fish the D-scotta once in a while and can say that your lower river spot is definitely a "Don't".  You should be exploring the coves that come off the river.  I've never fished that far up the river as your other spot so I can't comment. 

This may be a foreign concept to many here who fish from Portland south to the Chesapeake Bay, but don't be looking for boats fishing, there usually aren't any.  It's rare to even see 1 boat fishing in any given spot.  I grew up fishing on LI, NY and it's so nice not fishing in an armada, often having a school of feeding stripers all to ones self.  

I would suggest Tube'n Worm trolling like the local guide does.  Let's you explore and cover a lot of ground and it is productive, just too boring for my Type A personality, I have to be doing something.

15 hours ago, Roccus7 said:

Type A personality,

I`m type B.

For example, I really dislike walking in a group being front - center.