Striper1851

Albies off the Cape?

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

while you never know, I wouldn't get your hopes up. Generally see Albies in BB or off the Islands before the middle Cape/Hyannis area. Nothing reported yet.

I agree - too early. Last year was the first time I ever picked up an albie in Aug, but wasn't until the 3 week of Aug. These have historically been a Sept/Oct fish for me...but on the flip side, I had never caught a July bonito, but I caught one this year on July 10th...so you never know

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went out this morning  - didn't see any obvious Albie action, but the bluefish bite was very good. Those Tern birds are amazing little indicators (I don't typically see them much on the North shore, mostly those lazy fast-food fed seagulls). Obviously got into every-cast action when they were fully around and diving, but even when we saw a single really curios Tern spinning around a spot there was something under them and a hook up.

Edited by Striper1851

Fished yesterday out of Hyannis looking for early bones and king Macs. Just small blues. Lot of weeds and mung. Didn’t see any jumpers.

I was along the southside yesterday and may have seen one lone school of bones out of range...but not convinced enough to say with certainty...Wheeling terns circling over an area that was moving down current fairly rapidly, but with only occasional splashes to show evidence of actual fish (literally splashes, the kind bonito can make, but not hallmark bonito splashes/greyhounding/leaping). Closer in, it was small fussy bass on tiny bait, to which I could only entice hits by really dialing down the lure size (small, half oz crippled herring...)

Yup I chased those terns and threw small epoxy jigs and mariahs and got small blues and scup

the splashes I saw were small blue fish hitting tiny bait

only fished couple of hours

Went out today between ****** and finally got into some Albies on the out going. So many pods of bluefish around hard to tell what those terns are diving at so most were feeding bluefish, but the albie boils were pretty obvious - small, tight circles of fast moving surfacing fish with bait fish flying out of the air - often appeared then disappeared as quickly as you can race to them. We had one line ripper at side of boat that came off last second before lifting it in, had a good look at it and easily ID'd it - looked good size. Another guy out there we saw bring one in and he claimed to have gotten a couple more in the boat over the day.

Edited by bob_G
Location far too specific.

Why must you be so specific? Great you found a fish but no need for locations. You want to tell people use PM’s. 

2 hours ago, Striper1851 said:

Went out today and ***** and finally got into some Albies on the out going. So many pods of bluefish around hard to tell what those terns are diving at so most were feeding bluefish, but the albie boils were pretty obvious - small, tight circles of fast moving surfacing fish with bait fish flying out of the air - often appeared then disappeared as quickly as you can race to them. We had one line ripper at side of boat that came off last second before lifting it in, had a good look at it and easily ID'd it - looked good size. Another guy out there we saw bring one in and he claimed to have gotten a couple more in the boat over the day.

That wasn’t a good post.  You’ll have a billion buddies now.  You may want to take out the location.

Edited by bob_G

Thanks Bob people just don’t realize how many people lurk these sites just waiting for someone to slip up with the goods. 

When it comes to albies, the only thing lurkers are waiting for is word that they're IN.

The fishermen's equivalent to

"gentlemen start your engines".

Something tells me this albie season is gonna be full of drama. Crowds, parking, stressed out cranky people...