Capecod365

Eel bait

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Going to try some eels on Friday morning. Have never tried fishing with them, I’m going to buy them Thursday night and hopefully they will last overnight. 
Any tips on how to keep them alive for 14 hours or so in a bucket? Any bucket anyone recommends? I was just going to use a construction 5 gallon bucket, but maybe something else is out there. 

Some of the jig heads iv seen aren’t circle hooks, I don’t want to break any rules so how do I work around these jig heads?

CC365

use a 2 bucket system for keeping them alive for extended periods.  Drill small holes in bottom of one bucket to allow water/slime to drain, then place that bucket into an undrilled bucket.  This way you can apply ice and cover with a towel or something that allows air in.  As eels create slime and ice melts in top bucket this allows water to drain into the bottom bucket.  

I use 3 buckets. One on top with holes in the bottom with ice. Middle one has the eels with holes drilled into the bottom to let the mucus and water run into a third bucket that catches the run off. I've kept them alive for days using this method. Good luck!

25 mins ago, Capecod365 said:

Some of the jig heads iv seen aren’t circle hooks, I don’t want to break any rules so how do I work around these jig heads?

CC365

If you're fishing *live* eels, you don't use a jighead.   

If you're using dead eels on a jig head, then... well.... there's a whole thread here in this forum about that conundrum.  

Essentially a jig is a lure and a lure doesn't need to have a circle hook.

Any 5 gallon bucket will do but the snakes will adapt their color to that of the bucket. Buy a fish filter and fill the bucket with cold water and cover it. They will get out if you don’t. I’ve had eels last over a week with this method by changing the water.

Use a laundry bag to carry when you go fishing. Keep the rod tip up and reel them in so slowly that it’s boring. Once you feel the tap drop the tip and let the fish take the eel; set the hook when you feel the weight.

6/0 or 7/0 hooks. I like Mustad 94150 but the change to a circle hook this year. 

24 mins ago, heyblue34 said:

Any 5 gallon bucket will do but the snakes will adapt their color to that of the bucket. Buy a fish filter and fill the bucket with cold water and cover it. They will get out if you don’t. I’ve had eels last over a week with this method by changing the water.

Use a laundry bag to carry when you go fishing. Keep the rod tip up and reel them in so slowly that it’s boring. Once you feel the tap drop the tip and let the fish take the eel; set the hook when you feel the weight.

6/0 or 7/0 hooks. I like Mustad 94150 but the change to a circle hook this year. 

Great advice but one thing I question. You don't try and set the hook like normal with circle hooks right? Drop the tip,feel the weight and start to reel in and the circle hook should set itself.

8 mins ago, Turkeybacn said:

Great advice but one thing I question. You don't try and set the hook like normal with circle hooks right? Drop the tip,feel the weight and start to reel in and the circle hook should set itself.

Correct.

Posted (edited) · Report post

If you just want to keep them overnight, place a wet towel over them in the bucket. If you want to keep them for a longer period some of the suggestions above are fine, just changing the towel will work for a day or two. Hooking an eel can be problematic, when I was fishing the beach I used to drop them in the sand to make them easier to handle, otherwise a towel is necessary. I prefer to push the hook up through the jaw and out an eye socket, on the first few casts watch out for the eel wrapping itself in the leader. Takes a few attempts to know when the eel is presented effectively. You want to be able to reel very slowly without the eel wrapping up the line. Not using eels anymore as the artificials have gotten better, but nothing beats an eel for big fish.

Edited by zeke04
add some text

If you just need them to last 1 night, I’ve consistently kept them alive by putting them in Large glass Tupperware (with Saranwrap holes poked throughout) and popping them in the fridge. I put 1 small ice cube in there to keep them moist but not drown them. 

a lot less work than the bucket method. Need a rag to hook them, pretty easy.

You can fill up a 5 gallon bucket with water and a dozen eels will easily live for an hour if not 2, just dont forget to empty it out. I keep eels for a week by just filling up a 5 gallon bucket in the morning and then at night for an hour to let them breathe, they may not be as lively as they would be with an aerator, but its very easy. Then toss in a freezer pack before you go out if youd like. 

I'm not an expert but this has worked for me for sixty years.

Stick your eels in an onion sack add put them under an outside faucet with a fine mist on the bag. That's it. and with the eels in the sack tie them to your waist when you fish and dunk them every know and then to keep them wiggly.

David you are getting some good advise and perhaps it would be better to have you come over the house and actually show some of the various ways you can keep eels long times . Having a live well tank or round container that holds enough water is prime to keeping eels for bait all summer. For example do you have a fish aquarium with a cover?  eels can jump out of containers and you need to be prepared for that eventuality. Do you plan to fish the beach with them or the canal or boat The size you are looking for can depend upon how you plan to use them  Peace and Prayers 

1 hour ago, Angler #1 said:

David you are getting some good advise and perhaps it would be better to have you come over the house and actually show some of the various ways you can keep eels long times . Having a live well tank or round container that holds enough water is prime to keeping eels for bait all summer. For example do you have a fish aquarium with a cover?  eels can jump out of containers and you need to be prepared for that eventuality. Do you plan to fish the beach with them or the canal or boat The size you are looking for can depend upon how you plan to use them  Peace and Prayers 

Angler #1,

I just sent you an email.

Thanks