MooseJuice

Stradic vs Saragosa?

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

Hey all,

I'm new to the spinning gear game, as I have been a freshwater fly fisherman for most of my life. I am shopping for some new spinning gear for use on the boat and kayak in the Cape Cod area. I will be fishing for Stripers, Bluefish, Albies, Bonito, Mahi and black sea bass. I have been looking at both the Shimano Stradic and Saragosa reels but don't understand the difference. Can someone please explain the difference and the pros and cons to each?

Also, I have been told that the Shimano rods are a great value and have looked at the Teramar, Tallus and Terez. What do you guys recommend for my application? I was thinking about getting a light rod for small epoxies, a medium rod as a workhorse and a heavier rod for chucking the big stuff or live-lining some pogies. Thoughts?

Thanks!

John

You will need different rods and reels for what you want to do. Fishing for schoolies go with a medium rod (what ever you want), stradic 4000 will handle that and other light stuff for albies and bonito, Then get a Saragossa  5000 or 6000 with a rod rated Heavy to deal with live pogies and heavier plugs. The Saragossa is a beefier reel that can take punishment and used for bigger fish. One size doesn't fit everything unfortunately.

Friends don’t let friends buy Penns. Ha ha. 

Just a note on the Stradic, the 5k size is the same EXACT size as the 4K version except with a deeper spool and egg shaped rod handle knob. 

The Gossa has bigger sizes and will fair better in bigger rods. Both will handle big fish and the species you are after. 

The current saragosa is a fully sealed reel whereas stradic has a mixture of seals and measures to slow water ingress. To make things more complex there is a new saragosa out this year that may or may not be sealed. As said earlier, smallest saragosa is 6000 (5000 is a 6000 with shallow spool). Saragosa is a pretty light reel for its size compared to metal penn reels, I can swap out out that stupid egg handle knob with a yumea t knob and knock about an ounce off the weight of a 6000 saragosa and make it weigh about the same as a ''4000'' sized penn reel I own.

I was under the impression the OP was talking about boat fishing and if so you want the rods and reels to balance .  I have yet to see a stripe bass over  power a saragosa 6000 with the proper rod.  I have had fish 50#s that were handled. I wish it happened more often.  For boats I use 7-71/2 ft rods.  If I were surf fishing the reel size would be different.

11 mins ago, piscamaniac said:

there is a new saragosa out this year that may or may not be sealed.

Chances are good it is sealed. I've had a look at the schematics.

Same design perimeter body seal

It looks like Shimmia have used the same metal/rubber seals on the handle screw in points as they have used on the Stella SWC, but they could be plain flat rubber ones

Sealing to rotor and AR looks to be the same except for an additioal O ring and spacer - might make it better, might not

The IP rating it has been given is as a result of the seals and O rings that have been installed on the line roller.

Saragosa 10000SWA.png

I have a Stradic ci4 4000 that I use for small bass and fluke from the surf. It is my favorite setup. It’s extremely light and has held up well for two seasons. If you are going light get the stradic. 

4 hours ago, ZAFisher said:

Sealing to rotor and AR looks to be the same except for an additioal O ring and spacer - might make it better, might not

If you mean the rotor nut, what you call a spacer looks more like a bushing to give a floating shaft effect, the twin power sw has a bearing here (it's a while since I cracked my twinpower open, but definitely a bearing) the stella has a bearing with flanged bushing inside. Anyway, it's looking good, with a few nice upgrades.

Posted (edited) · Report post

5 hours ago, piscamaniac said:

The current saragosa is a fully sealed reel whereas stradic has a mixture of seals and measures to slow water ingress. To make things more complex there is a new saragosa out this year that may or may not be sealed. As said earlier, smallest saragosa is 6000 (5000 is a 6000 with shallow spool). Saragosa is a pretty light reel for its size compared to metal penn reels, I can swap out out that stupid egg handle knob with a yumea t knob and knock about an ounce off the weight of a 6000 saragosa and make it weigh about the same as a ''4000'' sized penn reel I own.

Yes, plastic is much lighter then metal. Plastic is awesome! 

The Gosa 6000 is 16.4oz whiles the Penn Slammer 4500 is 14.7oz.

Both reels have the same line capacity, approx 300yds of 30lb braid. One reel is a mix of plastic and metal while the other is all metal through to the brass main gear.

Regardless, if the OP does go the route of a Gosa he should get the 6000. It is a waste to get the 5000 when all the Gosa 5000 is is a 6000 with less line capacity. Same goes with the Gosa 8000, it is nothing more then a Gosa 10000 with a decreased line capacity.

I will never understand why anyone buys a 5000 or 8000 Gosa or Spheros.

Finally, with new Gosas coming out this year it might not be a good idea to buy the current gosa knowing that parts might not be easy to come by in the immediate future.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

4 hours ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Y

I will never understand why anyone buys a 5000 or 8000 Gosa or Spheros.

Finally, with new Gosas coming out this year it might not be a good idea to buy the current gosa knowing that parts might not be easy to come by in the immediate future.

I actually want the low gear ratio for power and 5000 size for less line since I need it for tight quarter structure fishing and I have to change line very frequently. I'm only spooling a 100 yds on it and changing it every 6 months after rotating. So less line just mean less mono backing for me.

BTW, there is a BIG difference between a non SW Stradic 4000/5000 and a SW Shimano in the 5000/6000 size.

4000/5000 Stradic FK vs Stella 5000 SW and Spheros 5000/6000

20200804_174057.jpg