ThirstyOwl III

Looking for a Backpack Cooler for fish.

Rate this topic

17 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’m looking for a backpack cooler recommendation (preferably with a hard case cooler compartment).  I’m less interested in it  keeping cold for long periods of time, and more interested in something tough enough to withstand being pierced by a dorsal fin.

thanks!

Edited by ThirstyOwl III

I use the 28 can Coleman with Maxcold freeze packs.  The cooler portion is a soft sided cooler. I have had no problem with tears or leaks.

45 mins ago, MaxKatt said:

Yeti makes a nice one, but you’re in for $300 bucks.

That’s what I’m trying to avoid. Plus I don’t ever have a need to keep a fish iced for 5 days straight in the backpack.

just looking for something that I could use when traveling and take day trips fishing. If it could keep my fish cold for 8 hours I’m happy. More concerned with dorsal fins piercing the bag. 

5 hours ago, hhager23 said:

Have you considered just a regular backpack with a plastic trash can in it? If you don't care about the cooling....

That’s actually not a bad idea. Even a large Tupperware with an ice pack in it may work.  Only need it to stay cold a few hours.

2 hours ago, ThirstyOwl III said:

That’s actually not a bad idea. Even a large Tupperware with an ice pack in it may work.  Only need it to stay cold a few hours.

What size/type fish are you catching?

Honestly a small drybag with a few ice packs could work.

Maybe combine that with the plastic can idea. Line the space between the can/bag walls with flexible ice packs.

Drybag shape works better for a tubular object too.

Bought a grundens dry backpack 30L rum runner. bought 5 years ago. One of the best bagS I have for keep stuff dry or storing fish aslong as you wash it down the smell doesn’t stick to the bag but I have honestly left bait in the bag over night and had no problem getting the stink out well worth the $60.00 ! Checked the price and it’s still at $60.00 some places have them for $80.00 not great for night fishing as it’s black and even with good eye sight not very easy to find smh..

i don’t have a lot of fish pictures but plan to do a porgy trip tomorrow and will post a picture with fish and ice ect it’s a great bag.

54 mins ago, savfish said:

Not trying to be funny but you  can cut the dorsal fins off before putting them in the backpack if that is your biggest concern.  

I use an inexpensive stamped pair of scissors with grippy teeth that nurses use for removing bandages and clothing from patients for just that purpose.  They're light and work quite well for that application.

Every soft cooler I’ve ever used on my kayak eventually gets pierced.  Realized there are no backpack coolers with hard Cooler compartment.

going with the Grundens and will put my own plastic container in there.

thanks all. 

RTIC backpack cooler is amazing and about half the price of the Yeti. Fits a plano box, plenty of ice and some keepers if you need