BrookTrout207

August Shore Fly Fishing - Cape Cod

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Posted this in the Massachusetts forum - but figured I'd post here since I'll be fly fishing only.   Wondering if anyone could give any advice on proven spots for late Aug around the Hyannis area?   Not trying to hot-spot, but just some general direction would really help.   Lewis Bay last year (same house we are staying this year) was super warm and not productive.   Understood this is not the season to target stripers - but really just looking to get the line tight.   Thanks in advance for any input. 

Best,

Posted (edited) · Report post

Does your name BrookTrout207 suggest that your background is fresh water.

Yours is a tricky question. Truth is you don’t need even generalised replies.

In August your best times to be on the water  are during the night. Even better during new moon tides. So if you can fish happily at night do so. If not it is a skill that can be acquired quite quickly.

Stripers like structure , inlets, estuaries, and strong current. You can locate these marks by google earth. Or even simple maps.

Teams of Brits and other European Fly guys have been coming over for quite a few years now and have used these tools to figure out where to go.

Gene Bourke of On The Water game wrote a very useful guide book on fishing  the Cape. It is no longer in print but you can find it on Amazon and other places. I confess to acquiring this book and shamelessly using it .

Mike

Edited by Mike Oliver

1 min ago, Mike Oliver said:

Does your name BrookTrout207 suggest that your background is fresh water.

Yours is a tricky question. Truth is you don’t need even generalised replies.

In August your best times to be on the water  are during the night. Even better during new moon tides. So if you can fish happily at night do so. If not it is a skill that can be acquired quite quickly.

Stripers like structure , inlets, estuaries, and strong current. You can locate these marks by google earth. Or even simple maps.

Teams of Brits and other European Fly guys have been coming over for quite a few years now and hs e used these tools to figure out where to go.

Gene Bourke of On The Water game wrote a very useful guide book on fishing  the Cape. It is no longer in print but you can find it on Amazon and other places. I confess to acquiring this book and shamelessly using it .

Mike

Mike - 

Appreciate the prompt response.   Yes, most of my fly-fishing is New England freshwater - but I have an 8-weight for the occasional salt adventure.  Will look up the Gene Bourke book and thanks much for the input. 

Be mobile.Colder water.OR!!!!!!! The freshwater for great bass fishing.Before and after "sticker" time.

Two more thoughts.

Shop purchased Clousers mostly have very heavy eyes. These at a nightmare to cast. They can hurt you and can break your rod. Look up Lefty Kreh casting sinking lines. Basically you need a continuous cast with no hard stops or the fly will kick. Think Belgian cast . Basically low back cast and you are not trying for small loops.

The biggest gear help will be a line tray. Without one life will be very miserable and hard work.

Mike

Not likely to find too much in the way of striper activity in the river this time of year. Water is extremely warm. But if that is your only option and you can fish at night then always worth a try.

Shore fishing is pretty much dead. Water is too warm. I don't fish at night but that is a good suggestion. If you are lucky some Bluefish might show up which would be a lot of fun. FishHawk

A drive of less than an hour would put you in colder water than in Hyannis.At night the "time" would be less.

"Be mobile.Colder water."

"A drive of less than an hour would put you in colder water than in Hyannis."

My thought exactly.  One of the beauties of the cape is that only 7 miles (averaged) separate two vastly different bodies of water.....and two very different temperatures.

So they're getting bonito in Nantucket now and we've had a hot summer, too hot, so maybe the funny fish will show. They had king mackerel one year early you just never know. If this is your only tome to be there then make your luck. Look for small inlets or creeks dumping into Sound....fluke, big scup, blues, bass or whatever all eat small Candies, Deceivers or Gurglers. Scale down to a 6wgt for maximum fun. Good luck.

Bonito are starting to show up so if you keep your eyes open and are prepared for long waits in between opportunities, you may have shots at them. Lewis Bay should be prime territory especially if you have access to a kayak or boat. The birds should let you know where they are.