bassmaster

Shimamo ultegra 5500

Rate this topic

41 posts in this topic

have  2 of these reels,

Nice and light,  cast ok ,  But man the rod wobble is horrible.

I would love a vs with a better lip like on the stella i think a 200 size.  Nope

Im a lefty.  

What reels dont wobble. I need to feel my plug....

Bassmaster, What's the rod wobble deal? I'm just curious what it feels like and how it affects fishing. I been thinking about buying that reel, maybe in the Ci4+ model but not worth it if this rod wobble thing is bad. Thanks. 

All the parallel reel foot Shimanos have the "wobble" for me. Until they go back to the traditional stance of a reel foot pointing inward (like everybody else) I won't buy another Shimano. Dumped a perfectly good Gossa cuz I couldn't stand the thumping, the Ultegra Ci4 plays better with some of my rods.

6 mins ago, Ba Ba Buoy said:

All the parallel reel foot Shimanos have the "wobble" for me. Until they go back to the traditional stance of a reel foot pointing inward (like everybody else) I won't buy another Shimano. Dumped a perfectly good Gossa cuz I couldn't stand the thumping, the Ultegra Ci4 plays better with some of my rods.

Yes agree

1 hour ago, JButts said:

Bassmaster, What's the rod wobble deal? I'm just curious what it feels like and how it affects fishing. I been thinking about buying that reel, maybe in the Ci4+ model but not worth it if this rod wobble thing is bad. Thanks. 

The rod wobbles and you can't feel the lure, some rods are better than other's. 

Nice reel its a shame, if your throwing pencles or poppers it wont matter and pikes and dannys on top.

This issue has been discussed before, I believe in the rod building forum.  If your rod wobbles, it is because your choker guide placement is not matched to the reel.  Notably, Shimano Tialejo rods do not exhibit this wobble, as their guide layout is specifically suited to the 5500 size for rods 10ft 6in and shorter and to the 10000/14000 size for rods 11ft and larger.  That being said I use the 5500 on a hybrid S-Glass/Carbon Fiber rod that is 9ft 6in and wrapped with the Fuji NGC layout using BMNAG guides.  I likewise use a 10000 on an 11ft 6in Zziplex Bass with the same layout/same guides.  Neither rod displays wobble on the retrieve.  The choker guide, which is the transition guide to the running guides, should be placed at a distance equal to 27 times the outside diameter of the spool lip with the spool fully extended.  The spool being  fully extended is a critical consideration for Long Cast reels.

Hope this helps.

4 hours ago, bassmaster said:

wobble is horrible

Horrible is being polite. I had a few of the 5500’s and they all sucked with the wobble.

I have the 9’6”, 11, and 12 Tiralejos. I couldn’t fish the 5500 on the 11 or 12 because of the wobble. This was a bummer for me because I had no desire to move up to the 14000 for these longer rods, and I never liked the 5500 on my 9’6”

Anyway, sold the Shimanos and moved to the Penn Longcasts. No more problems. Not only that, the Ultegras are way to fragile taking sand or saltwater splashes. Leave them home on a windy beach day.

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, FlatWing said:

This issue has been discussed before, I believe in the rod building forum.  If your rod wobbles, it is because your choker guide placement is not matched to the reel.  Notably, Shimano Tialejo rods do not exhibit this wobble, as their guide layout is specifically suited to the 5500 size for rods 10ft 6in and shorter and to the 10000/14000 size for rods 11ft and larger.  That being said I use the 5500 on a hybrid S-Glass/Carbon Fiber rod that is 9ft 6in and wrapped with the Fuji NGC layout using BMNAG guides.  I likewise use a 10000 on an 11ft 6in Zziplex Bass with the same layout/same guides.  Neither rod displays wobble on the retrieve.  The choker guide, which is the transition guide to the running guides, should be placed at a distance equal to 27 times the outside diameter of the spool lip with the spool fully extended.  The spool being  fully extended is a critical consideration for Long Cast reels.

Hope this helps.

Really, ill sell you that rod and the reel

Then

Matched my ass. I was so pissed off

Thanks for that info by the way 

Edited by bassmaster

On 8/3/2020 at 4:53 PM, FlatWing said:

The choker guide, which is the transition guide to the running guides, should be placed at a distance equal to 27 times the outside diameter of the spool lip with the spool fully extended. 

The spool diameter of the 5500 is 63mm. x 27=67" ????

What am I missing here?

1 hour ago, ermdjsm said:

Do you plan to sell your reel? I am interested in getting one. Thanks!

https://www.stripersonline.com/surftalk/topic/798631-wtb-shimano-ultegra-xtdxsd-5500/#comment-15279593

I plan on blowing it up lol.

So after maybe 1000 fish. 4 in low 30 lbs bunch in 20 and countless  others

I actually like the combo, it has the wobble,  the rods not bad, dragging fish out if the surf and fighting is not bad.         

Does it compare to my century,  no but its a great rod.

I have to take the reel apart and service inspect it today ,  if it needs bearings nothing my mic and timken sealed bearings cant do.  Reel is still holding up been wet splashed and a few dunks.   I think with these parallel reels they need guides that have longer frames to get them in plane with these retarded reels.

So will see how this reel looks and make it smooth,  feels dry.

Edited by bassmaster
Im striper Jesus

2 hours ago, olvart said:

The spool diameter of the 5500 is 63mm. x 27=67" ????

What am I missing here?

Perhaps you are confusing the stripper guide with the choker guide.  If you search the rod builders forum for New Guide Concept, or KR Concept, there has been a lot of discussion.  The dimension that you came up with is correct, and why parallel foot LC LC reels are really only effective on rods 10ft and longer.

KR-concept-guide-placement-charts.pdf

Edited by FlatWing

1 hour ago, FlatWing said:

Perhaps you are confusing the stripper guide with the choker guide

Duh, I was. Thanks for the link.

So i took the reel apart , there is a oil port on the right side, put some lubriplate in there with some oil,

Bearings look fine and line roller, pulled handle knob off amd lubed it.

It needed it.  The anti reverse get greese by cranking  the reel it seems,

Reel was going dry..

Once you pull the rotator cup off,

And anti reverse assy off you can pull the pinion gear out.

Greese also weeps out the handle and body and anti reverse housing.

Easy to service this reel.

12 hours ago, bassmaster said:

I plan on blowing it up lol.

So after maybe 1000 fish. 4 in low 30 lbs bunch in 20 and countless  others

I actually like the combo, it has the wobble,  the rods not bad, dragging fish out if the surf and fighting is not bad.         

Does it compare to my century,  no but its a great rod.

I have to take the reel apart and service inspect it today ,  if it needs bearings nothing my mic and timken sealed bearings cant do.  Reel is still holding up been wet splashed and a few dunks.   I think with these parallel reels they need guides that have longer frames to get them in plane with these retarded reels.

So will see how this reel looks and make it smooth,  feels dry.

Thanks for your reply! It's great that you like it.