bassmaster

Shimamo ultegra 5500

Rate this topic

43 posts in this topic

have  2 of these reels,

Nice and light,  cast ok ,  But man the rod wobble is horrible.

I would love a vs with a better lip like on the stella i think a 200 size.  Nope

Im a lefty.  

What reels dont wobble. I need to feel my plug....

This reel is a real garbage. I bought one here in a new condition. It was smooth at the beginning and I caught few fish with it. I was very pleased with it until yesterday when the cranking became hard. When I tried to open it to see what’s going on I observed how cheap is the material and the parts and how it is designed poorly. For example, accessing the rotor nut to take it  off is a nightmare.  It is surrounded by walls. When you finally reach it, it does not come off.  
I own like 30 reels and I have no issues servicing all of them except this piece of sh$$. Last time I experienced similar garbage was an Okuma reel and it was over fifteen years ago. I am really surprised to see a company like Shimano selling this garbage.

0287ED9F-3F08-4986-B3F8-10F371EF5AA9.jpeg

Edited by levari

23 mins ago, koalaslim said:

Levari did you get yours wet and sandy?  I just used one for a week in Florida, went okay, wondering what I should watch out for as far as maintenance.  

I did not use it in sand. I wade a little in shallow water. Pebble beach. Normal fishing in salt water.

Edited by levari

1 hour ago, levari said:

This reel is a real garbage. I bought one here in a new condition. It was smooth at the beginning and I caught few fish with it. I was very pleased with it until yesterday when the cranking became hard. When I tried to open it to see what’s going on I observed how cheap is the material and the parts and how it is designed poorly. For example, accessing the rotor nut to take it  off is a nightmare.  It is surrounded by walls. When you finally reach it, it does not come off.  
I own like 30 reels and I have no issues servicing all of them except this piece of sh$$. Last time I experienced similar garbage was an Okuma reel and it was over fifteen years ago. I am really surprised to see a company like Shimano selling this garbage.

0287ED9F-3F08-4986-B3F8-10F371EF5AA9.jpeg

Left hand thread ,see that thing that stops line from going under soool, get rid of that,  did it bind on you. Sounds like it did and bent the **** inside

I tried both ways and it is stuck. It did not bind. It was hard to crank at the beginning. Then it got better but not perfect. I came home, tried to take it apart and then I encountered this issue. Now I can crank it but it makes noises.

I will send it to Shimano and if they try to charge me I will leave this garbage with them.

i can’t figure out the idiot who designed this reel. Who the f$$$ place a nut inside walls.

Edited by levari

5 hours ago, levari said:

When you finally reach it, it does not come off.  

Its a left hand thread.

A box wrench makes it dead easy to access the nut.

I would think twice about removing the skirt designed to prevent line getting under the spool; I tried and it was not a good idea

Edited by ZAFisher

32 mins ago, ZAFisher said:

Its a left hand thread.

A box wrench makes it dead easy to access the nut.

I would think twice about removing the skirt designed to prevent line getting under the spool; I tried and it was not a good idea

Tug on line, been doing that for years, Tim S told me that when we were fishing 90 years ago,    that part causes that problem.

As i had tge same problem he did