sauerkraut

SCAM RE VESSEL DOCUMENTATION?

Rate this topic

7 posts in this topic

Is this a Scam?

Is the a Government Agency (USCG) sanctioned Scam?

One of my boats is USCG Documented.  About FIVE months ago-- long before my present USCG Documentation was due to expire, I received this official appearing letter in the regular mails.  Please note that the letter is undated; there is no listed physical site address attached to this "VESSEL DOCUMENTATION PORTAL" letter; and that official appearing seal in the left upper corner mimics the USCG seal but is not.  Finally, please note the last two sentences, declaring this letter to be a solicitation notice, and this is a private firm.

About 3 weeks ago, I did receive from the USCG an official notification to renew my vessel documentation and instructions to do so.  Expiration was August.  I completed the simple on-line process and have successfully redocumented.  I have the Documentation Certificate already mailed back to me in in hand.  Nevertheless, I receive yet again another mailing from this same entity, "VESSEL DOCUMENTATION PORTAL", declaring:  "ATTENTION FINAL NOTICE".

I sent a formal letter to the USCG National Documentation Center, Jackson drive, Falling Waters, WV 25419-9502, about 3 months ago re this entity; however, I have received no reply.  Therefore, I am making the assumption that this is a strategic non reply from the USCG.

So, why would I make an assertion this could be a USCG sanctioned scam?  My inquiry to the USCG was:  How could a private company or interest gain access to my documentation data including expiration dates, and mailing contact if not through the permission of the USCG?

vessel doc.JPG

Service solicitation or a scam. Notice at the beginning it says “Public records” indicate blah blah blah. So this company is accessing public records of uscg registration to solicit you to use their portal renew for a fee as outlined later in the letter. They also refer to themselves as a private company providing registration services. It mentions a subscription type multi year renewal, I assume you either pay in advance or provide billing information for them to auto renew when your registration is due every year.  Having already renewed thru the official site and having the certificate in hand, I would ignore it if you don’t want to utilize their services. 

4 hours ago, sauerkraut said:

Is this a Scam?

One of my boats is USCG Documented.  About FIVE months ago-- long before my present USCG Documentation was due to expire, I received this official appearing letter in the regular mails.  Please note that the letter is undated; there is no listed physical site address attached to this "VESSEL DOCUMENTATION PORTAL" letter; and that official appearing seal in the left upper corner mimics the USCG seal but is not.  Finally, please note the last two sentences, declaring this letter to be a solicitation notice, and this is a private firm.

About 3 weeks ago, I did receive from the USCG an official notification to renew my vessel documentation and instructions to do so.  Expiration was August.  I completed the simple on-line process and have successfully redocumented.  I have the Documentation Certificate already mailed back to me in in hand.  Nevertheless, I receive yet again another mailing from this same entity, "VESSEL DOCUMENTATION PORTAL", declaring:  "ATTENTION FINAL NOTICE".

I sent a formal letter to the USCG National Documentation Center, Jackson drive, Falling Waters, WV 25419-9502, about 3 months ago re this entity; however, I have received no reply.  Therefore, I am making the assumption that this is a strategic non reply from the USCG.

So, why would I make an assertion this could be a USCG sanctioned scam?  My inquiry to the USCG was:  How could a private company or interest gain access to my documentation data including expiration dates, and mailing contact if not through the permission of the USCG?

vessel doc.JPG

Anything and everything official and federal will have a site URL like https://xxxxx.xxxxx.gov/  The key being the LAST thing BEFORE the first forward slash is .gov - scammers will make up urls with something like military.gov.com/  The only important part is the pieces after the last period and before the forward slash. If that's not .gov/ then it's not the government.

TimS

On 8/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, TimS said:

Anything and everything official and federal will have a site URL like https://xxxxx.xxxxx.gov/  The key being the LAST thing BEFORE the first forward slash is .gov - scammers will make up urls with something like military.gov.com/  The only important part is the pieces after the last period and before the forward slash. If that's not .gov/ then it's not the government.

Thank you for this information.

Yours, SauerKraut

On 8/3/2020 at 6:35 PM, TimS said:

Your answer is the 4th and 5th words in the first line of that "document".  They are "public records".  That's how they know you, your address and all the other stuff you're asking about.

On 8/3/2020 at 1:47 PM, sauerkraut said:

Is this a Scam?

vessel doc.JPG

All documentation records are public record nd subject to unlimited public disclosure. You (or anyone) can go the C.G. documentation website and look up the documentation data for any vessel. That is provided for by law. The Coast Guard probably ignored your letter because you had no idea what you were talking about.