CanalRatWannabe

Violence on the Cape Cod Canal

Rate this topic

127 posts in this topic

Hi all, greenhorn striped bass angler here.

Last night was 3rd time out to the canal and my first fishing mission through the night. At about 02:00AM this morning, a verbal altercation between two groups of fisherman escalated to one party being shoved down the rocks on an ebb tide. At that point i grabbed all my gear, tossed it in my car and attempted to drive off. Cops came cruising into Buzzards Bay recreation area and stopped me right next to the Stan Gibbs statue. They took my car key and witness statements about what i had seen. Eventually they cleared me, returned my car key and i was allowed to leave.

Experienced canal anglers, My question to you is how often do fights break out on the big ditch? Is this common on the canal or did i just happen to show up on a one off night? 

I do carry OC spray however this particular night it stayed on my belt loop because there was no threat directed toward me or anybody that i know personally.

Tight lines!

Stay away from the West end and everything will be fine :)

if you go to the circus you will see animals

I’m still trying to figure out how and why fishing became such an attractive hobby for these Neanderthals. 

Verbal altercations have become  fairly common  the last few years. However physical altercations are not unheard of.  I personally saw one last summer.  Something about stripers that bring out the worst in people. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

.... They took my car key and witness statements about what i had seen. Eventually they cleared me, returned my car key and i was allowed to leave.

That seems odd.  Not entirely sure they can do that.  Where is DJ?

If you were not arrested, I don't think they can detain you, let alone take something from you that prevents you from leaving..

Was this the Bourne Police?

Edited by Joe G

3 mins ago, Joe G said:

If you were not arrested, I don't think they can detain you, let alone take something from you that prevents you from leaving..

I was thinking the same thing.  

Someone must have called the PD to report the assault for them the get there so soon.  Did the PD speak with the victim, or did they just take your statement and leave?

2 mins ago, bob_G said:

I was thinking the same thing.  

Someone must have called the PD to report the assault for them the get there so soon.  Did the PD speak with the victim, or did they just take your statement and leave?

OP says........"Cops came cruising into  BB recreation area.."

That seems to indicate to me they were not called, but simply on patrol.

If so, why stop OP at the statue when the incident occurred on the rocks and the police were not aware of it?

OK.... assume they were called.........then why stop OP at the statue which is a good 100 yards from the incident and not proceed to the incident scene ASAP?

Need more detail.

1 hour ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

Cops came cruising into Buzzards Bay recreation area and stopped me right next to the Stan Gibbs statue. They took my car key and witness statements about what i had seen. Eventually they cleared me, returned my car key and i was allowed to leave.

What reason did they give for taking your car key even after you had given them a witness statement? 

By the way, you're not required to talk to cops. Ever.

2 hours ago, CanalRatWannabe said:

Hi all, greenhorn striped bass angler here.

Last night was 3rd time out to the canal and my first fishing mission through the night. At about 02:00AM this morning, a verbal altercation between two groups of fisherman escalated to one party being shoved down the rocks on an ebb tide. At that point i grabbed all my gear, tossed it in my car and attempted to drive off. Cops came cruising into Buzzards Bay recreation area and stopped me right next to the Stan Gibbs statue. They took my car key and witness statements about what i had seen. Eventually they cleared me, returned my car key and i was allowed to leave.

Experienced canal anglers, My question to you is how often do fights break out on the big ditch? Is this common on the canal or did i just happen to show up on a one off night? 

I do carry OC spray however this particular night it stayed on my belt loop because there was no threat directed toward me or anybody that i know personally.

Tight lines!

3 years ago a certain FB group ran live reports of blitzes.....and the sub-humans came a running to the fish market. Unfortunately,  they have now taken over. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Seriously unless you were involved in the incident and they have reasonable suspicion to believe you were involved in a criminal activity your under no obligation to talk to LEOs, ID yourself or provide them with a witness statement. This seems like an unlawful detention and confiscation of property.

Edited by Sandbar1

2 hours ago, Joe G said:

If he looked like he was in a hell of a hurry to get out of there, they probably suspected that he was one of the parties involved. One of the things that I heard cops recite, ad naseum, at suppression hearings was the suspect making "furtive movements" which resulted in "elevated suspicion" allowing an investigatory detention, in the minds of some judges.

In any event, this is a no harm/no foul situation. An illegal detention only means something if they find something, or obtain an identification, and an arrest and prosecution results.  Does it suck to be unfairly suspected and perhaps wrongly detained, even momentarily? Yup, sure does, but no jury in MA is going to award you damages over it, even if a judge lets a lawsuit get that far.