Cleaning moss off roof

Rate this topic

shortys7777

Theres a bunch of moss on the shingles on one side of my house due to some big trees. Those trees are now gone and I'm looking to clean it up. House is a ranch so very easy to get up. Hit it with a power washer or a stiff construction groom? I understand the water could make for slipping injuries but I don't mind taking it easy or tying a rope around myself if it'll do a better job. 

had the moss removed by professionals. they put a chemical on it and it basically flaked off with very light pressure.  full-on powerwashing to remove moss, by itself with no additives can ruin a roof.

1. Wet the roof down from top to bottom in small sections.
  2. Apply our Algae and Mold killing detergent with an air pump sprayer
  3. Carefully low pressure power wash the roof.
Edited by srm413
typo

Never liked the idea of hosing the crap off my roof removing the single grit. Installed strips of zinc across the entire ridgeline. No more lichen or moss. WARNING: If your rain conductors drain onto the surface , it may affect the lawn and shrubs. My conductors are subterranean. Thanks.

There is a difference between interest and commitment. When you are interested in something you do it only when it is convenient. When you are committed to something you accept no excuses and produce only results. Author unknown.

On 8/4/2020 at 4:10 PM, ribeye said:

Never liked the idea of hosing the crap off my roof removing the single grit. Installed strips of zinc across the entire ridgeline. No more lichen or moss. WARNING: If your rain conductors drain onto the surface , it may affect the lawn and shrubs. My conductors are subterranean. Thanks.

Zinc strips work. 

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 8/3/2020 at 2:01 PM, Steve in Mass said:

Look up Wet and Forget..........

Steve

Have you used this stuff?

Seems like it would be a great help for my home which is in the woods and the shady roof areas have some nice moss.

Hoping to be able to help those areas last a few more years before I need to reroof.

If you did - does it soak into the moss nicely and essentially just kill that or do you end up with a problem for any bush or ground cover around the house?

On 8/28/2020 at 2:17 PM, Skeeterbait said:

Steve

Have you used this stuff?

Seems like it would be a great help for my home which is in the woods and the shady roof areas have some nice moss.

Hoping to be able to help those areas last a few more years before I need to reroof.

If you did - does it soak into the moss nicely and essentially just kill that or do you end up with a problem for any bush or ground cover around the house?

I have never used it personally, but Gary Sullivan of At Home radio show touts it all the time, and everyone that calls in loves the stuff. Only negative I ever heard turned out to be someone not using it correctly. They make a few different kinds for different applications from showers and tubs to siding to roofs.

The one for roofs comes with a spray nozzle that shoots up to 30 feet. On a cloudy day you spray down the whole area, and then walk away and just leave it. It takes a few weeks to work, but eventually it kills the moss and it disappears. It also kills the spores that would grow back.It lasts up to about 18 months.

The one for siding also works well for mold and mildew, cause unlike bleach or pressure washing, it also kills mold spores and leaves a protectant layer that continues to kill them for up to a year or more.

Or at least that is what they claim and haven't heard anyone say it didn't work. As I said, the sole exception was one woman that sprayed it on and then an hour later washed it off.....NOT how it works.......

"You know the Bill of Rights is serving its purpose when it protects things you wish it didn't."

"You can no longer be oppressed if you are not afraid anymore - Unknown"

SOL Member #174

My house is surrounded by woods so I get mildew on the shad y side, and lichens growing on the window trim. It’s like some kinda Azac (sp?). I just buy a couple bottles of Clorox, fill a hose end sprayer with with bleach and a squirt of Dawn (to break surface tension) and spray it down. Let itsit for an hour or so and repeat. Once a year keeps it clean. Just remember to wear old clothes and goggles/glasses and be aware of where the runoff goes. The commercial roof cleaners I used once before have 2 guys, one sprays all the stuff below with water to keep it from being ruined, and the other sprays a concentrated bleach solution on the roof.