mickymac

Kayaking and Video

8 posts in this topic

Just bought a GoPro 7 to mount on my kayak. Anyone else do this? If so, any tips, suggestions, apps, websites that would be helpful?

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, mickymac said:

Just bought a GoPro 7 to mount on my kayak. Anyone else do this? If so, any tips, suggestions, apps, websites that would be helpful?

I’m just starting with this as well but if you’re planning to buy any GoPro brand accessories I’d sign up for at least the trial GoPro Plus account and stock up. All of the accessories are around 20-50% off. It made the GoPro batteries and charger about as good a deal as Amazon generic batteries. The other mounts and such are still probably a bit more than money than Amazon cheapy mounts but supposedly they are better quality. 

I filmed a couple of outings using the head strap but I couldn’t get a low enough angle without hitting my hat brim. I don’t think the chest mount would work well in a kayak. I ended up making a PVC arm following a video I found here in another thread (I think @EricJ made/posted it?) and I put it in the mast mount on my Hobie, but you could modify to fit a different kayak:

I made mine a little different in that I used a short section of pool noodle instead of pipe insulation, on the angled section only. I also only used one 45 degree elbow and I attached a GoPro gooseneck mount to the PVC end cap (which I glued on, no threaded end) and I can easily get whatever angle I want. 

Edited by drmevo

6 hours ago, drmevo said:

I filmed a couple of outings using the head strap but I couldn’t get a low enough angle without hitting my hat brim. I don’t think the chest mount would work well in a kayak. I ended up making a PVC arm following a video I found here in another thread (I think @EricJ made/posted it?) and I put it in the mast mount on my Hobie, but you could modify to fit a different kayak:

months after making that video, I realized that even with the center of the PVC filled with foam (great stuff), the sound transfer from the kayak up to the internal microphone of the camera was still too much. So, I added an external mic mounted on top of the camera with a shock dampening mount. It was a huge improvement in reducing so much of the noise from the kayak. Laying the rod down or peddling even.

That said.. I have not recorded myself fishing on the kayak in a very long time. I have had some nice catches too ...

On 8/3/2020 at 8:47 PM, EricJ said:

months after making that video, I realized that even with the center of the PVC filled with foam (great stuff), the sound transfer from the kayak up to the internal microphone of the camera was still too much. So, I added an external mic mounted on top of the camera with a shock dampening mount. It was a huge improvement in reducing so much of the noise from the kayak. Laying the rod down or peddling even.

That said.. I have not recorded myself fishing on the kayak in a very long time. I have had some nice catches too ...

Interesting, maybe the pool noodle and/or gooseneck is eating the vibrations on mine but I haven’t noticed it to be an issue.

I can also see this video thing being a passing phase for me but it’s still kind of interesting for now. I thought it might also be cool to give family and friends an idea of what I’m doing on the weekends and evenings if they’re interested. This year and last have been tough for me in terms of catching larger stripers but I’m hopeful to get a nice fish on video or at least a photo before the season ends. 

On 8/3/2020 at 8:47 PM, EricJ said:

I feel a fluke video coming....

10 mins ago, Pma531 said:

I feel a fluke video coming....

lol.... well I missed the opportunity for a really good hybrid striper video.