scooleen74

Huge selective picky grass carp

Rate this topic

25 posts in this topic

Here in a certain area of upstate we have an epic grass carp flat with a population of large grass carp.

These huge fish sip from the surface seemingly invisible insects, I have yet to crack the code in thousands of casts I've hooked and landed one only on a crazy dad.

I took the 6 wt out yesterday and threw dry flies hoping for just a hookup but they were ignored.

Any fly anglers here see grass carp surface feeding and if so what was it they were eating? This area is wide open no overhanging shrubbery , if anything it is likely bugs being blown from trees but I can't identify what they are sipping on.

The one carp I've landed.

KIMG2750.JPG

So that would be my first problem I thought these were grass carp.  The carp pictures is what I see , monsters lots of them surface and sub surface

I saw this as well years ago in an Adirondack lake near Lake George. My take was they were eating some kind of seed or nut like milkweed or other with a feathery “parachute”. If you could mimic what they’re eating you could probably catch them on a fly. Or you could see if targeting them with a bow is legal where you are. Not sure what you would do with them once shot. Suspect they have a flavor similar to mud. 

Carp taste like their origin waters. No reason why, if you take fish from clean water, they should taste badly.  They were imported as food fish, after all. Check online recipes for gefilte fish.

Cool, common carp on the surface are likely after some sort of tiny insects, as you guessed. The good news is they are already surface feeding, so you can cheat like a bastard and chum them. Bits of bread or pet kibble, floating fish food, anything high in carbs and/or protein that floats. Tie a similar looking fly, and cast 10ft in front of them, they'll likely vacuum your offering. Barring that, a terrestrial fly, either small fished stationary, or something big and bright twitched may draw a strike from curiosity.

Oatmeal will sink though. Breakfast cereal would be another good chum. Floats well, and distinctive looking when you match the hatch. Not sure how I would tie a Cheerio fly though.

I have seen grass carp sucking something on the surface and never cracked the code either.

Good luck with grass or common in that mode

Middle of summer,as bottom algae decays, it creates gases that get trapped under the tent of microfilaments that make up the mat itself and when they get to a critical mass(the bubbles) it will lift a piece of the algae mat to the surface.An egg hook or basic sproat-style bait hook w/ a "tail" of chartreuse fox fur and a small clump of olive deer hair spun at the front does a decent job of imitating said floating algae clump.

The carp in question in the pic by the OP can also be had w/ craw,woolly bugger, damsel/dragonfly larvae imitations or just about anything buggy but not too big,keep it under 1 1/2".

Something I've noticed repeated this year is that when you have lots of inspections but no takes, a bit of some kind of scent other than human hands seems to help. Wash your hands well before rigging tackle and keep a little liquid scent to mask yourself. Caught 5 common 10~20 pounders one afternoon last week fishing a huge mayfly hatch after I tumbled to my "secret".

On 8/3/2020 at 8:52 AM, scooleen74 said:

Here in a certain area of upstate we have an epic grass carp flat with a population of large grass carp.

These huge fish sip from the surface seemingly invisible insects, I have yet to crack the code in thousands of casts I've hooked and landed one only on a crazy dad.

I took the 6 wt out yesterday and threw dry flies hoping for just a hookup but they were ignored.

Any fly anglers here see grass carp surface feeding and if so what was it they were eating? This area is wide open no overhanging shrubbery , if anything it is likely bugs being blown from trees but I can't identify what they are sipping on.

The one carp I've landed.

KIMG2750.JPG

If they're surface feeding and cant determine what's on the surface it's most likely midges . Fly guys would be using flies in the 18 to 32 sized hooks . P5260123.JPG.34228b00b110d3ee5894c5d750dee00f.JPG

Agreed, they could just be gulping air on the surface and not actually feeding at all. 

What would you use to tie an "air fly" lol.