hystyk1921

Bull shark caught in Long Island

Rate this topic

11 posts in this topic

They are very occasional visitors to Long Island.

I've been actively shark fishing for over 40 years, and have never caught one, although I'm usually farther offshore, where they're less likely to be.

Bottom line is that while catching one isn't impossible, as the recent catch shows, it is a very unusual event.  Most if not all of the sharks identified as bulls over the past week probably weren't.

While bull sharks are certainly rare up here, I do find it odd that a lot of people are acting like this is the first season where sharks frequented our beaches lol. When there is bait nearshore and the water is warm, there are sharks around.

I remember many yrs ago a helicopter pilot took pictures above Cold Spring harbor of 3 or 4, 6+ ft sharks that scared the hell out of everybody.  It was a few yrs after JAWS was produced.  We would take the boat over there for  an afternoon  of swimming with the kids LOL

Wow...I was talking to Elias on Friday...and he was guaranteeing me Bullsharks will be caught on the south shore this week....

That's hilarious......

Posted (edited) · Report post

I guy I watch on Twitch streams his fishing and hooked a great white on the fly the other day out of Shinny. LIFLIESMIKE

Edited by Flybyme

1 hour ago, Cpalms said:

400lbs LOL.  not even half that.

I didn't want to be the guy, but thank you lol. I caught one in the keys that the captain estimated at 200-250 lbs and it looked like a monster compared to the posted one. A 400 lbs bull shark is very rare.

Had some friends wetsuiting a spot last week - saw them as they headed out 

they went out to some rocks and a 8-9 ft brown wandered in and made a beeline for the guy w a bass on his stringer 

his fishing partner poked it in the head w his rod as it came towards the rocks they were on and it turned and swam away

the increase in the seals down here combined w temps makes it a very interesting season for sure