Advice on Old Town Sportsman Salty PDL (aka Ocean Kayak Malibu Pedal)

On 8/28/2020 at 3:49 PM, Machine_Ruse said:

I saw that video, and his others. I'm basically getting on YouTube and Google everyday and searching for any new videos or reviews on the Salty. Once I find someone with the Salty or the Malibu Pedal, I subscribe to their channel so that I can see any new videos they post. I'm totally down the rabbit hole on this right now, lol.

Couple thoughts on the RX Angler guy. First, he thinks a $2k kayak is "cheap", so if money is no object, there might be another kayak that fits your needs better than the Salty. For the "cons" he listed in the video you linked, the first two were storage related items that are easily handled aftermarket if you need it. The lack of an anchor mount isn't important to me (at least that's what I think right now). The hull slap has been mentioned by others and is a concern for me. I do not believe it would scare the fish, I just don't want to be annoyed by it. I'm not sure that I would be annoyed, and I'm also not sure that hull slap isn't just inherent in a hull design that is meant to handle rougher waters, like the Salty is. For example, I've seen lots of complaints about hull slap on the Outback. The regular Sportsman PDL 120 probably doesn't have the same amount of hull slap, but it's also less capable of dealing with the surf, waves, and chop than the Salty is going to be. So it's a trade-off. In regards to the amount of water coming into the deck when the PDL unit is up, I'm concerned about that, but I'm not sure how often I would use the kayak like that.

If you watch the subsequent video that RX Angler put out after the video you linked to, he basically talks the Salty up and says it should be priced at $2100 or $2200. He took it out sight fishing in some really shallow marsh and kept the PDL unit up all day. He said the hull slap ended up not being a factor at all, but he was still annoyed by the water coming in with the PDL unit up.

Look up Chris Canning on YouTube. He has some recent videos on the Salty. While watching them, realize he's not a very experienced kayaker (watch how he didn't know how to do a self-rescue after he intentionally flipped it). From what I saw in his videos though, it confirms the Salty has a lot of secondary stability, but in exchange for less primary stability than the regular Sportsman PDL. So the Salty feels more "tipsy".

There's also a YT channel called The Fishing Adventures of Catterman. He's a goofball, but has a couple videos on the Salty worth watching.

JakeW **** has some videos using his Malibu Pedal, and I ask him some questions about it in the comments section. He also mentioned the hull slap in a video, but replied to me that it ended up being a non-issue. His primary kayak is a Predator PDL, but he still has the Malibu and still takes it out.

Nicholas Lytle of Navarre Kayak Fishing no longer has his old YT channel with the videos on the Malibu Pedal, but his Facebook page is public and you can see his old posts and comments where he's pretty complimentary of the Malibu Pedal (circa September 2017). He's also made some comments in the official Old Town Facebook pages.

All this isn't to say that I think the Salty is the end all be all of kayaks. I'm only pointing out other opinions.

The Salty is just designed for different use than the regular Sportsman PDL 120. If you're fishing lakes, ponds, and slow moving water, then I would definitely be leaning towards the regular Sportsman PDL 120. For myself, I want to also be able to use my kayak for inshore saltwater fishing, and can foresee the possibility of some lightweight surf launches, so I don't think the regular Sportsman is ideal for that. I feel like I'm actually trying to decide between the Salty or the BigWater/Predator, which is obviously a big step up in price and weight. And I'm not sure which of those two factors bother me the most. The Salty isn't lightweight, but it's still more of a grab and go than the BigWater/Predator, which means I might use it more.

Everyone says to demo before you buy, but that's easier said than done. Even then, the conditions you're demo'ing in might not totally be applicable.

Just more paralysis by analysis, lol.

I was on the same boat until yesterday. Literally searching for ‘old town salty’ on youtube, google etc.. and stumbled into 2019 topwater 106 pdl for very good price. I have a small car, mazda 3 hatchback. It turned out that it would be a work to car topping anything bigger than 106. I havent hit the water yet but it looks like perfect for my first kayak. 

6 mins ago, Rangler said:

I was on the same boat until yesterday. Literally searching for ‘old town salty’ on youtube, google etc.. and stumbled into 2019 topwater 106 pdl for very good price. I have a small car, mazda 3 hatchback. It turned out that it would be a work to car topping anything bigger than 106. I havent hit the water yet but it looks like perfect for my first kayak. 

Congrats on finding a deal! I'm wondering if I should just wait it out and see if the post-COVID world is going to have some deals.

On 8/29/2020 at 5:18 AM, Chumslick1 said:

Light chop.Very dry ride.

Thanks for that info. I'd be super appreciative if you're able to post your experiences as you get to use it more, especially in any surf and something more than light chop.

Enjoy that thing while I wait for them to make their way out to the west coast!

I may have found a difference between the Sportsman Salty 120 and the Malibu Pedal - it does not look like the Malibu has the same rudder control as the Salty. Specifically, the Malibu appears to be missing the ball control at the end of the control and more importantly the tension control knob.

I am not sure how effective that tension control knob is, but I do like the concept. That is something that may push me towards the Salty.

Edited by Burbot

49 mins ago, Burbot said:

I may have found a difference between the Sportsman Salty 120 and the Malibu Pedal - it does not look like the Malibu has the same rudder control as the Salty. Specifically, the Malibu appears to be missing the ball control at the end of the control and more importantly the tension control knob.

I am not sure how effective that tension control knob is, but I do like the concept. That is something that may push me towards the Salty.

That is one of the things I brought up to Johnson Outdoors one of the times I spoke to them over the phone. The rep told me that the Malibu now has the "upgraded rudder control". I still haven't seen one in person to verify that myself, but that's what I was told.

They also provided me with part numbers and prices for the foam deck pads that come on the Salty but not the Malibu.

14 mins ago, Machine_Ruse said:

That is one of the things I brought up to Johnson Outdoors one of the times I spoke to them over the phone. The rep told me that the Malibu now has the "upgraded rudder control". I still haven't seen one in person to verify that myself, but that's what I was told.

They also provided me with part numbers and prices for the foam deck pads that come on the Salty but not the Malibu.

That's good to know. Edit - looks like they also sell the upgraded knob for $36.

Do you recall cost on the foam pads? I'm not overly concerned with it since I do not plan to stand and fish, but I've read they can also make the kayak a bit quieter. 

I'm debating putting in an order for a Malibu Pedal vs waiting to buy the Salty in the spring.

Edited by Burbot

4 mins ago, Burbot said:

That's good to know.

Do you recall cost on the foam pads? I'm not overly concerned with it since I do not plan to stand and fish, but I've read they can also make the kayak a bit quieter. 

I'm debating putting in an order for a Malibu Pedal vs waiting to buy the Salty in the spring.

Here's the part numbers for each side, sold separately:

01.1316.0068 (Left)
01.1316.0069 (Right)

$20.99 each

47 mins ago, Machine_Ruse said:

Here's the part numbers for each side, sold separately:

01.1316.0068 (Left)
01.1316.0069 (Right)

$20.99 each

Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on the Malibu Pedal from West Marine. They're saying it will be here in two weeks.

Planning to install a rudder bolt from the Navarre Kayak video instead of the new rudder control in the event that the kayak does not have the updated control.

38 mins ago, Burbot said:

Thank you. I just pulled the trigger on the Malibu Pedal from West Marine. They're saying it will be here in two weeks.

Planning to install a rudder bolt from the Navarre Kayak video instead of the new rudder control in the event that the kayak does not have the updated control.

Did you confirm with West Marine that they had the newly redesigned Malibu Pedal? I ordered one from them last month, after being assured by their customer service that they had the new one, but when it arrived at the store it was the old design with the smaller rear tankwell, old rudder control, etc. I didn't accept it, and a few days later the store manager told me he got a hold of Johnson Outdoors and confirmed that West Marine wouldn't have the new Malibu's until October.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but just wanted to warn you about my experience.

3 mins ago, Machine_Ruse said:

Did you confirm with West Marine that they had the newly redesigned Malibu Pedal? I ordered one from them last month, after being assured by their customer service that they had the new one, but when it arrived at the store it was the old design with the smaller rear tankwell, old rudder control, etc. I didn't accept it, and a few days later the store manager told me he got a hold of Johnson Outdoors and confirmed that West Marine wouldn't have the new Malibu's until October.

I don't want to rain on your parade, but just wanted to warn you about my experience.

I did. Customer service said they confirmed with their vendor it was the new model.

5 mins ago, Burbot said:

I did. Customer service said they confirmed with their vendor it was the new model.

Awesome. Can you send me their website link you purchased through? All I can find is the old link I used before. I still think I prefer the colors on the Ocean Kayak line versus the Old Town line.

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanted to provide an update - yesterday, the kayak arrived and I was able to take delivery.

It was the new version including larger tankwell, transducer mount, forward facing rod holder, etc.

It did have the old rudder control without the tension knob, but after watching a Navarre Kayak video on the subject, I am ok with that as I can adjust tension at the rudder.

Very excited to take it out this weekend.

Edited by Burbot
Punctuation

15 mins ago, Burbot said:

Just wanted to provide an update - yesterday, the kayak arrived and I was able to take delivery.

It was the new version including larger tankwell, transducer mount, forward facing rod holder, etc.

It did have the old rudder control without the tension knob, but after watching a Navarre Kayak video on the subject, I am ok with that as I can adjust tension at the rudder.

Very excited to take it out this weekend.

Glad to hear it worked out for you! I'm still without, so might have to give West Marine another shot. At least it's risk free.

Slight bummer on though rudder control though, especially since you'd also have to pay for the pads if you wanted those also. Since the Malibu Pedal and the Salty are the same MSRP, but the Malibu doesn't get the pads and upgraded rudder control, I wonder there is some other "bonus" or feature on the Malibu. Maybe it's their colors?

Which color did you go with? All four are awesome, but I think I'd want Sunrise or Ahi.