Machine_Ruse

Advice on Old Town Sportsman Salty PDL (aka Ocean Kayak Malibu Pedal)

56 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hi everyone,

Quick introduction: I spent most of my youth doing a lot of inshore fishing on the east coast of Florida, but for the past two decades I've been living in Northern California, and I've probably only fished a dozen times over those years. I've always missed it, and have recently decided life's too short, so I've decided kayak fishing is the way to get back into it. I'm now actively looking for my first kayak. I've been lurking here for a while, and now I'm seeking input from those with the experience.

I live inland a bit, so the California Delta is much more accessible to me than the coast, but I'd like something that could adequately fill both needs. Also, I'm an average sized guy, so I don't think that comes in to play (5'11", 185). Also, I was initially looking at paddle yaks, but the more I've continued researching, I think pedal is going to be the way to go for me.

The price/warranty/value equation has pushed me away from Hobie and towards Old Town.

I'm really interested in the Sportsman Salty PDL 120. It's brand new, so there's not a lot of information out there. Also, I'm about 99.9% sure this is the same exact kayak as the newly redesigned Malibu Pedal. I believe the only differences are the branding and hull color choices, and the fact that the Salty comes with EVA deck pads. I prefer the high visibility colors of the Malibu Pedal line, and could add deck pads myself.

I'd like to know what people's thoughts are, and does anyone have experience yet with the Salty or the redesigned Malibu Pedal? Since the Malibu has been around a few years, input on the older models would be helpful also, especially if there are concerns that have been addressed in the redesigned hull.

I haven't ruled out the "regular" Sportsman PDL 120, because I'm not cheap enough to let $300 make my decision, but my understanding is that the hull design of the Salty/Malibu will likely provide better secondary stability, while the regular Sportsman hull will provide better primary stability. Feel free to correct me, but the increased secondary stability would be more beneficial in moving water.

All input is welcome, and thanks for staying with me on this long post!

Edited by Machine_Ruse
Ironically, to make it a little shorter.

I just purchased the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL.  One of the reasons was reading the reviews of the Riddler on his experiences with the PDL series, I would strongly advise you to go look up that info that he provided, outstanding review , good and bad points.

I did take into consideration the couple extra dollars so I can only tell you what I have experienced with the kayak I purchased. The Sportsman was the Topwater series, I think. 

I have been using my kayak on lakes in the upstate NY area for the last month  until this past week when I had it out on the outer cape ( Ptown area).   The kayak is a tug boat ..not the lightest thing in the world but I'm figuring out ways to maneuver it on dry land ( C Tug has worked well). 

The boat is stable, I never felt worried even with sitting higher than my other sit on tops.. I had no issue pedaling even in rougher chop..its not a dry ride though but the drain by the front hatch area does a great job. The PDL drive is pretty cool..I was able to use it and drag a tube and worm around all day and not get too tired. I have been using a Ocean Kayak before this and no question the pedal is much better for fishing  My Buddy has a Predator which might be the salty now? his boat is faster than mine  but I'm older than him and figure I dont have to beat him to a spot anymore :).

It seems the company thought about some things and either changed or added. The seat is not like the old one with a cross bar so it was comfortable. Really like the forward facing rod holder makes changing a lure easier.

I do wish there were pre drilled holes for cables for mounting the fishfinder...never thrilled about drilling into a boat you just purchased.

The boat works great for me but I have a long way to go to figure out the longevity of the yak but so far I'm very happy.  Hope some of this info helps. 

2 hours ago, ziggy6 said:

I just purchased the Old Town Sportsman 120 PDL.  One of the reasons was reading the reviews of the Riddler on his experiences with the PDL series, I would strongly advise you to go look up that info that he provided, outstanding review , good and bad points.

I did take into consideration the couple extra dollars so I can only tell you what I have experienced with the kayak I purchased. The Sportsman was the Topwater series, I think. 

I have been using my kayak on lakes in the upstate NY area for the last month  until this past week when I had it out on the outer cape ( Ptown area).   The kayak is a tug boat ..not the lightest thing in the world...

Not surprisingly, The Riddler's previous posts were very influential on my decision to move towards Old Town's PDL platforms, instead of Hobie's.

Your experience with the "regular" Sportsman PDL 120 being a tug boat is one of the reasons I'm considering the Salty. According to a customer service rep from OT, the hull of the Salty is based off the Predator MX, which was marketed for "mixed waters". It's not an exact copy though.

However, the Sportsman Salty PDL 120 is an exact copy of the 2020 version of the Ocean Kayak Malibu Pedal. The first couple years of the Malibu Pedal were slightly different, with a smaller tankwell and minus the angler features. For 2020, these boats are exactly the same, except for colors and the EVA deck pads on the Salty. OT even confirmed for me that the new "Sportsman Seat" is an exact copy of the "Beach Element Seat" on the Ocean Kayak.

Back to comparing these two Old Town models against the Hobie line, I have a feeling that the Sportsman Salty PDL 120 competes directly with the Revo 13, and the regular Sportsman PDL 120 competes directly with the Outback.

I wish I could demo both versions of the Sportsman 120!!!

Thanks for the input Ziggy!

Edited by Machine_Ruse
To show some gratitude, lol.

9 hours ago, Machine_Ruse said:

Back to comparing these two Old Town models against the Hobie line, I have a feeling that the Sportsman Salty PDL 120 competes directly with the Revo 13, and the regular Sportsman PDL 120 competes directly with the Outback.

In terms of specs, Old Town doesn't appear to have an analog to the Revo. The Salty is still the same hull weight as an Outback and the length and width are about the same as well. The seat also appears to be much higher on the OT. You might be right in that it's the closest thing they have to the Revo, but they don't seem comparable on paper. If anything it seems like the regular Sportsman is somewhere between an Outback and a Pro Angler. 

1 hour ago, drmevo said:

In terms of specs, Old Town doesn't appear to have an analog to the Revo. The Salty is still the same hull weight as an Outback and the length and width are about the same as well. The seat also appears to be much higher on the OT. You might be right in that it's the closest thing they have to the Revo, but they don't seem comparable on paper. If anything it seems like the regular Sportsman is somewhere between an Outback and a Pro Angler. 

That's an absolutely valid point that the Salty and standard Sportsman don't have the same specs on paper as the Revo and Outback.

I guess what I meant is, a Revo 13 fan would probably prefer a Salty and an Outback fan would probably prefer the regular Sportsman. Whenever I looked into Revo 13 vs. Outback, I noticed that those who chose the Revo did so for the increased speed and secondary stability, which is what I believe the Salty has over the regular Sportsman. Granted, many Revo fans also want a lighter kayak when compared to the Outback, and the Salty certainly does not provide that advantage over the regular Sportsman.

In comparing the weights of the Salty and Revo 13, part of the extra heft of the Salty is obviously from it being wider. I'd also be curious to know the specs of the thickness of the walls of these hulls. Does anyone have that information?

If Old Town is making their hulls thicker, that could account for not only the extra weight, but might also account for why OT is willing to warranty their hulls for life.

It’s all water under the bridge, good luck finding any old town kayaks instock except for the minn Kota ones.  But yes if I was to get an old town the Salty would be it.

6 mins ago, ne_dan said:

It’s all water under the bridge, good luck finding any old town kayaks instock except for the minn Kota ones.  But yes if I was to get an old town the Salty would be it.

But I can dream... and pre-order! Lol

On 8/3/2020 at 11:41 AM, Machine_Ruse said:

In comparing the weights of the Salty and Revo 13, part of the extra heft of the Salty is obviously from it being wider. I'd also be curious to know the specs of the thickness of the walls of these hulls. Does anyone have that information?

So the advertised "assembled" weight is 85 lbs on the Salty ... I believe that is the weight of a loaded kayak with power assembly and seat. That puts it damn close to a Revo in weight. The advertised weight of the Salty drive is 19 lbs ... meaning the striped hull is a very manageable 66 lbs ... less than a Revo or Compass. Impressive ...  

42 mins ago, jeffreyrichard said:

So the advertised "assembled" weight is 85 lbs on the Salty ... I believe that is the weight of a loaded kayak with power assembly and seat. That puts it damn close to a Revo in weight. The advertised weight of the Salty drive is 19 lbs ... meaning the striped hull is a very manageable 66 lbs ... less than a Revo or Compass. Impressive ...  

That would be cool but I really doubt it. I think it just means the weight with all the rigging attached to the hull (rudder, bungees, hatches, etc.) minus the drive and seat. The paddle version of the Sportsman 120 is listed at 82lbs. 

Well I bit the bullet. I did confirm with Johnson Outdoors that the 2020 Malibu Pedal is the same exact boat as the new Sportsman Salty PDL 120, with the exception of EVA foam deck pads and the little plastic tackle box. As stated earlier, I wanted the higher visibility colors of the Malibu.

Unlike with the Old Towns, there appear to be a few of the 2020 Malibu Pedals in stock at places, probably because most people aren't aware of the redesign (and some retailers are still using old pics on their listings, but using the manufacturer part number of the new model).

That said, mine should be here next Saturday, so we'll see.

Now to see if Johnson Outdoors will let me purchase a replacement set of Salty deck pads to install on the Malibu!

Thanks everyone for your input.

21 mins ago, Machine_Ruse said:

Well I bit the bullet. I did confirm with Johnson Outdoors that the 2020 Malibu Pedal is the same exact boat as the new Sportsman Salty PDL 120, with the exception of EVA foam deck pads and the little plastic tackle box. As stated earlier, I wanted the higher visibility colors of the Malibu.

Unlike with the Old Towns, there appear to be a few of the 2020 Malibu Pedals in stock at places, probably because most people aren't aware of the redesign (and some retailers are still using old pics on their listings, but using the manufacturer part number of the new model).

That said, mine should be here next Saturday, so we'll see.

Now to see if Johnson Outdoors will let me purchase a replacement set of Salty deck pads to install on the Malibu!

Thanks everyone for your input.

So is the weight of this kayak without seat and drive (what you'd be car topping) 85#, or is it in fact 66#? Trying to translate the spec-speak. I would be very impressed with a stripped hull weight of under 70 # ...

4 hours ago, jeffreyrichard said:

So is the weight of this kayak without seat and drive (what you'd be car topping) 85#, or is it in fact 66#? Trying to translate the spec-speak. I would be very impressed with a stripped hull weight of under 70 # ...

I didn't try to confirm the weight, because although I'd love a lighter kayak, the 20# wasn't going to be a determining factor for me. I'll be transporting it in the back of a truck with a hitch extender.

I doubt it is only 66# though. The Salty/Malibu is the same length, and nearly the same width (1.5" narrower) as the regular Sportsman PDL 120. It's just a different hull design that emphasizes speed and secondary stability over primary stability.

If I actually receive it next weekend, and it's actually the model it's supposed to be, one of the first things I'll do is weigh it without the seat and PDL drive. I'll weigh those individually also, and post the info back here.

Edited by Machine_Ruse
Spelling...

On 8/6/2020 at 3:24 PM, Machine_Ruse said:

I didn't try to confirm the weight, because although I'd love a lighter kayak, the 20# wasn't going to be a determining factor for me. I'll be transporting it in the back of a truck with a hitch extender.

I doubt it is only 66# though. The Salty/Malibu is the same length, and nearly the same width (1.5" narrower) as the regular Sportsman PDL 120. It's just a different hull design that emphasizes speed and secondary stability over primary stability.

If I actually receive it next weekend, and it's actually the model it's supposed to be, one of the first things I'll do is weigh it without the seat and PDL drive. I'll weigh those individually also, and post the info back here.

@Machine_Ruse Were you able to weigh it? How do you like it so far?

4 hours ago, Rangler said:

@Machine_Ruse Were you able to weigh it? How do you like it so far?

Unfortunately, when I arrived to pick it up, it was last year's model of the Malibu Pedal. This was in spite of assurances during the ordering process that it was the updated model. So I left without it.

I am still without a kayak and waiting for stock. One of the nation's largest kayak retailers, Kayak City, who is less than an hour away from me, said they are not carrying the Salty PDL. And they're not an Ocean Kayak dealer. That means I'm left waiting for one of the smaller dealers to receive stock, which is probably at least another month away.

Effing COVID...

10 hours ago, Machine_Ruse said:

Unfortunately, when I arrived to pick it up, it was last year's model of the Malibu Pedal. This was in spite of assurances during the ordering process that it was the updated model. So I left without it.

I am still without a kayak and waiting for stock. One of the nation's largest kayak retailers, Kayak City, who is less than an hour away from me, said they are not carrying the Salty PDL. And they're not an Ocean Kayak dealer. That means I'm left waiting for one of the smaller dealers to receive stock, which is probably at least another month away.

Effing COVID...

Thats a bummer man. Can I ask you why you are going with salty pdl over regular sportsman 120 pdl? I was waiting for Hobie but my local dealer told me that they are expecting a 2021 announcement sometime in Nov...