flyntus

Need a better shock leader knot

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Hey Guys,

Went fishing yesterday in the Snake River, WA.  I lost three rigs broken off at the shock leader when reeling them in.  I am using an overhand loop in my 80 lb line and to a uni knot in my main running line.  Are there some stronger shock leaders I should be using?  I even tied the 8 oz weights on with 12 lb test so they would break before my 18 lb Sakura mainline.  Didn't work at all.  Frustrated!  Any help is appreciated!

flyntus

I used to tie a double uni but I would also double over the mainline before I tied the knot. Never had a issue.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Just so I understand this correctly, you are using an 80lb mono shockleader attached to an 18lb mono mainline, right?

When tying mono to mono shock leader knots I always just used an albright.

Never had any issues, however you almost always lose your whole rig, shock leader and all, when running mono to mono and trying to break off from a snag (it sounds like you are snagging up on the retrieve based on the situation you described). It is inevitable.

I started running 50lb braided mainline attached to my 80lb mono shockleader with an FG knot long ago just to cut down on lost rigs.

Edited by Beastly Backlash

Finally, just based on experience, light mono mainlines on an 8nbait outfit in rivers is not appropriate or advisable. Sandy beaches with little structure and no snags is fine for mono mainlines, rivers loaded with structure that you are going to get hung up on and half to break-off or pull free from will cost you.

I assume you are sturgeon fishing. I fish for flathead catfish in a similar manner.

I use an 8nbait set-up often and I roll with 80lb mono shockleader, 50lb Sufix 832 mainline. I do not recommend using any reel with less then 30ipt because a slow reel will cost you rigs because you will snag up on the retrieve often.

53 mins ago, Beastly Backlash said:

Finally, a dropper line of 12lb mono defeats the purpose of using an 80lb mono shocker.

It is also dangerous, try not to do it.

Depends, if you tie a solid ring or split ring and two barrel swivels  to the end of your 80lb and then a length of light mono to the sinker and then clip the sinker to the ring, it works very well and is not dangerous.

Ignore the reference to steel in the attached photos; this is for a SA style sliding rig for sharks

sinker connxn.jpg

sinker clippedn to ring.jpg

stopper ring.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Main line threaded thru hollow 15 feet of hollow braid with gorilla glue film the entire length.Use  a tapestry needle from local five and dime ,when applying the glue  plastic gloves and pull the braid thru your finger tips no knots . Extremely strong

Edited by Surf bomber

Thanks for all the replies everyone.  One rig is an ABU Rocket 6500 CTM on a Dblue 11'4" rod.  This outfit casts really well and I love the Dblue Rod.  The other rig is an Akios Nitron 15 on a Penn Carnage II, 12 foot rod.  Where I'm fishing, the bottom is full of stone and large rock.  My 8oz weights are getting stuck in the rocks about thirty feet deep and no matter how hard I try, I can't free the snags.  I'm going to try somewhere different soon.  I lost 3 leads yesterday.  I am targeting channel catfish but could hook a white sturgeon as bycatch.  So many places I need to explore here in the Tri-Cities area of WA.  Wish I had a friend or two to go with.  Everyone is just so shut down with the COVID.  I want to go to the coast and fish for redtail surf perch.  I don't think I will have any problems there.  I will also try the jetties for some rockfish and lingcod.

flyntus

Typical 8nbait shock leader setup is a bimini twist to generate the loop on the main line and then connect the heavier shock leader with an albright, alberto or no name. This will give you two small profile knots that should easily go through your guides without hanging up while also retaining significant strength. I suspect your issue starts with the overhand knot which is not as streamlined and can cut itself off under tension. The uni is a great knot but the ones listed above are better at connecting a running line to a loop. Good luck.