nedakjohn

Round up alternative

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

doing some massive weed kill.   round up alternatives?  google has options but I want to know what you guys are using.

I've used Roundup with little luck. Used Spectracide lawn and weed killer and it works pretty good. I'm in SE NC and the weeds are brutal here, alot of kinds and tough to kill. You may need multiple treatments.

11 hours ago, Bill163 said:

I've used Roundup with little luck. Used Spectracide lawn and weed killer and it works pretty good. I'm in SE NC and the weeds are brutal here, alot of kinds and tough to kill. You may need multiple treatments.

Round up, 2-4-D, and diesel fuel, cut 45, 45, 10. Moving back to NC Saturday, probably not to far from you honestly.

20 mins ago, Grayson said:

Round up, 2-4-D, and diesel fuel, cut 45, 45, 10. Moving back to NC Saturday, probably not to far from you honestly.

Please-  don't be spraying diesel intentionally.  It's got some environmental toxicity -  They sell stronger strength Roundup- ( Glyphosate ) if you have woody, tougher to kill vegetation.  Yes-  they are now finding some health risks with occupational exposure to Glyphosate but if you use some common sense, where a little PPE, you should be good.  Much shorter half life than diesel

Just now, rathrbefishn said:

Please-  don't be spraying diesel intentionally.  It's got some environmental toxicity -  They sell stronger strength Roundup- ( Glyphosate ) if you have woody, tougher to kill vegetation.  Yes-  they are now finding some health risks with occupational exposure to Glyphosate but if you use some common sense, where a little PPE, you should be good.  Much shorter half life than diesel

In a typical yard use pump sprayer, there's not enough diesel to leave anything but minimal trace amounts. Discussed this with an ag scientist, mixed correctly it's just enough to accelerate the glysophate. Normal use? No. Large patches of tough to kill brush? Yes. Much better than repetitive round up soakings, or when people turn to burning, used motor oil, and other worse options. Worked commercial landscaping for a short stint after high school, and have seen some very questionable things.

Roundup sucks. It takes a week or more to kill anything after you spray and it doesn't prevent weeds from growing back. I bought a container of it last year and I regret it, and the stuff isn't cheap. I like Ortho ground clear better. It kills everything within a day or 2 and nothing will grow back for the rest of the year.

Few weeks back I wanted to try something less toxic around my dog so tried 40% vinegar. It turned everything brown within hours but two weeks later everything grew back with a vengeance. Plus the fumes from the vinegar are super strong . I would not recommend it.

18 hours ago, nedakjohn said:

doing some massive weed kill.   round up alternatives?  google has options but I want to know what you guys are using.

First off, what are you trying to kill? Also are we talking yard, landscape beds, woods, etc?

Posted (edited) · Report post

I refuse to spray roundup or the like here at the beach as the bay has changed so much since I was a kid

Granted, I'm talking stones, but this weed torch makes weeding fun.  And people just can't help themselves, so many have stopped to ask where I got it.  Not me, but you get the idea

Best-Weed-Torch.jpg

Edited by makorider

I use a burner that take a small bottle and is shaped like a cane.  Works great-  cant use it in the middle of a lawn but works well for pavers. sidewalks, and areas where you are good with total destruction.  I wouldn't use for poison ivy as I'd be worried about fumes/particles- too many horror stories I've heard around that.   

1 hour ago, makorider said:

I refuse to spray roundup or the like here at the beach as the bay has changed so much since I was a kid

Granted, I'm talking stones, but this weed torch makes weeding fun.  And people just can't help themselves, so many have stopped to ask where I got it.  Not me, but you get the idea

Best-Weed-Torch.jpg

Started to burn the weeds in gravel to avoid roundup.  I think some of them, especially grasses, really like to get burned.  Come back fast and strong.  Generally still a better solution for me but thought I wouldn’t have to do it so often. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

17 mins ago, JimW said:

Started to burn the weeds in gravel to avoid roundup.  I think some of them, especially grasses, really like to get burned.  Come back fast and strong.  Generally still a better solution for me but thought I wouldn’t have to do it so often. 

Yeah the grass is tough.  The other weeds get their roots cooked I'm sure.  The grasses, unbelievably, not so much as they do come back.

I did learn to walk/work backwards when I found the pebbles were melting into the soles of my sneakers, they were that hot.  How anything survives I have no idea.

I wouldn't burn poison ivy either....my brother was covered head to toe and EVERYWHERE in between when we cleared a bunch of brush up at our Champlain camp and burned it.  He was a mess for a while

Edited by makorider

OH...while I love this torch...the sound it makes alone is awesome...DO NOT do it after a rain.  Stones are somewhat pourous and absorb water, then explode when you torch them, sending shards of red hot stone into your shoes etc.  Wear sunglasses.

1 hour ago, makorider said:

OH...while I love this torch...the sound it makes alone is awesome...DO NOT do it after a rain.  Stones are somewhat pourous and absorb water, then explode when you torch them, sending shards of red hot stone into your shoes etc.  Wear sunglasses.

It sounds like a jet aircraft. It is cool but I had the same experience with some stuff coming back stronger so pull those. 

Also use it to light the charcoal if I’m in a hurry. 

6 hours ago, JimW said:

Yes-  grass can come back.  Some more than others.  I have been going back after a day or two and hittign them again.  Not sure yet if it really make a difference.