Pierce

1st ever reel

Rate this topic

32 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

Was doing some home cleaning, finally found my 1st reel that I purchased. A Shimano Navi 3000, still remember bought it 2nd hand as Cash Converters lol......This small reel caught and feed me dinner with plenty of Bream, Tailor and Whiting.

What is your first ever reel? If you can still remember.

15963637728121363590333.jpg

Edited by Pierce

First ever used: department store bottom shelfer, used into pieces. First reel I bought: Diawa ultralight of some description, stolen from my garage, probably by a "friend."

something like this:$_1.JPG

I cant believe that anyone could really fish, with this.

And I also cant get over the fact that Daiwa is making a U turn towards such a "feel" in a reel.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Daiwa 400 like this one on a a 6’ pylon orange fiberglass rod. She was some real eye candy! Got it for Christmas when i was 7. Caught tons of LM bass on it for years.

6D4A6D51-4A82-4AC4-8B78-EC672EEE5F1E.jpeg

Edited by Mack26

Olympic model 81 l couldn't afford the real reel wanted Michael 300, this was around 1953 before l was in high school settled for the copy think it went for around $8.00 dollars and all the parts from the Michael 300 fit should l need a part.

A lot of bottle collecting and grocery deliveries with a basket bicycle to get the money for this, this reel put many of meals on the table Lots of fluke stripbass and blackfish when in season.

5f26c089841fd_Olympicmodel81.PNG.d9cb9327a7954fd44d46bbdc823578e4.PNG

Mitchell 300 hand me down which was probably 20 years old when I got it.

I still have and still use it occasionally.
It just goes to show you that simple reels which get regular care and maintenance can last a lifetime.

The old Mitchell’s really were great reels.

I think that they weren’t quite as robust as their Penn counterparts, of the time, but I have a bunch of them and they’re all still running well.

First ever reel - given to me by my dad was one of those old Mitchell Garcia 300 spinning reels. The first reel I ever purchased was the original version of the old penn spinfishers (before they added the extra '0' to the size number)...I believe it was a SS440. Wasn't a fan of when they went graphite (corresponding to when they added the extra zero - i.e SS4400...I think the SS650 and larger continued to be made with aluminum

I remember my grandfather's Mitchell 300, which I still have packed away with the box. My first reel that I remember was a Mitchell 308. 

6 mins ago, albacized said:

First ever reel - given to me by my dad was one of those old Mitchell Garcia 300 spinning reels. The first reel I ever purchased was the original version of the old penn spinfishers (before they added the extra '0' to the size number)...I believe it was a SS440. Wasn't a fan of when they went graphite (corresponding to when they added the extra zero - i.e SS4400...I think the SS650 and larger continued to be made with aluminum

I have some of those old graphite models.

I can’t say that they’ve ever given me any trouble but I also can’t say that I really liked them. 
I think they were the last reels, in my rotation, that I would reach for.

As the years went by they got used less and less.

Now, they mostly just sit.

Thanks for sharing the pictures! Not surprised to see Mitchell and Daiwa here. Trying to think back to when I was a kid. My father was never interested in fishing, so I think my first was probably a cheap Shakespeare combo from Kmart. All I could afford hahaha

2 hours ago, Mack26 said:

Daiwa 400 like this one on a a 6’ pylon orange fiberglass rod. She was some real eye candy! Got it for Christmas when i was 7. Caught tons of LM bass on it for years.

6D4A6D51-4A82-4AC4-8B78-EC672EEE5F1E.jpeg

ahh,the old,proven bronze series.

remember them very well,never owned one but,did own the daiwa GS-13 gold series.

HH