PeterO

Wilford Brimley won’t be down for breakfast

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Had his last bowl of oatmeal and moved on at age 85.  Probably did more for Quaker Oatmeal and keeping Americans’ cholesterol down than any other individual.  He made oatmeal special.  Thank you Mr. Brimley.

12 mins ago, Markushook said:

Thought he died years ago :D 

I just said same to my wife. 

The issue is he was cast as a much older man in Cocoon than he was when that was filmed. As the New Yorker spotted in 2018, when Tom Cruise, then 31, starred in 1993’s The Firm:

“Brimley was fifty-eight years old—plodding, portly, with a gray walrus mustache, his grandfatherly mien in this case turned sinister. He was just two years older than Cruise is now, appearing boundlessly vigorous as the super-agent Ethan Hunt in the latest ‘Mission: Impossible’ movie. Cruise has been very, very famous for the past thirty-five years, and in that time it’s been difficult to reconcile his unchanging appearance with the flipping pages on the calendar.”

The same could also be said of Brimley, but he was typecast in a rather different role, which he performed equally well in numerous movies, TV shows, and commercials.

I was on a Sole drop hunt in Alaska and had a porcupine get in my food and I was left with instant Quaker Oatmeal and the whole rest of the hunt I had his voice in my head about Oatmeal , Like every role he played , RIP