ASrod

August 2020

Rate this topic

20 posts in this topic

Nothing today. Tried a new spot with deeper water and I couldn’t pull anything up. I’ll be interested to see how it plays out after this tropical storm.

8/1 It was slow for me as well. Saw another boat bag 2 (rocks?) live lining next to me. I only managed a 9.5" Spot in about 1 hour of fishing. I also cast netted some peanut bunker to use as chum for my next trip. This weekend overall was slow and unproductive for me. Didn't see very much bait popping or birds on the water. As we pulled back into the marina all the seagulls were chilling on the jetty rocks. They probably knew the fish weren't biting too.

thanks for the reports. i hit colonial beach saturday wind an water was rough.i caught one rock 17" an some nice white perch. a few spot.got back in just before storm hit. sunday went to pointlookout same water an wind rough, water laid down around noon. got two flounder,to short to take home.perch were nice size. threw back a bunch of small croaker. hope things pickup after storm. be safe out there.

Today seemed to be a nice improvement. I lost a few fish including one pretty large one. I won’t claim numbers but it was a nicer fish compared to what I’ve caught this season. Saw a bunch of fish to 26” caught in another spot on live spot while I couldn’t manage anything on a plug over there.

Caught some extremely skinny schoolies above keeper size today. They all went back to hopefully fatten up. Tons of jumbo spot too.

6 hours ago, ASrod said:

Caught some extremely skinny schoolies above keeper size today. They all went back to hopefully fatten up. Tons of jumbo spot too.

Seen any sizeable croaker anywhere on the western shore? Don't have to give exact location just a roundabout would be nice. I'll probably focus on crabbing for the next few weeks but I always bring some tackle with me too and cast around a bit in places, so getting a few decent croaker would be a nice change of pace.

5 hours ago, yakscientist said:

Seen any sizeable croaker anywhere on the western shore? Don't have to give exact location just a roundabout would be nice. I'll probably focus on crabbing for the next few weeks but I always bring some tackle with me too and cast around a bit in places, so getting a few decent croaker would be a nice change of pace.

Croaker have been trash. All 4-7” and super annoying. Huge and bait size spot have been everywhere in the lower Calvert County area. I had like 15 of them in 45 minutes while mainly focusing on live lining.

1 hour ago, ASrod said:

Croaker have been trash. All 4-7” and super annoying. Huge and bait size spot have been everywhere in the lower Calvert County area. I had like 15 of them in 45 minutes while mainly focusing on live lining.

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully larger ones will show up. Good to see lots of spot though, they're a preferred bait for a lot of live lining trips. I saw a ton of menhaden this year in the bay for the first time in a while, it was really nice to see. They were schooled up around the bay bridge from late winter through early spring on a few trips I took out there. I trolled 1 up and it was a solid 10" fish, far too big to live line but cool to catch.

11 mins ago, yakscientist said:

Well that's unfortunate, hopefully larger ones will show up. Good to see lots of spot though, they're a preferred bait for a lot of live lining trips. I saw a ton of menhaden this year in the bay for the first time in a while, it was really nice to see. They were schooled up around the bay bridge from late winter through early spring on a few trips I took out there. I trolled 1 up and it was a solid 10" fish, far too big to live line but cool to catch.

I woulda thrown it back live exactly where I was lol. Bay bridge is solid that time of year.

15 mins ago, ASrod said:

I woulda thrown it back live exactly where I was lol. Bay bridge is solid that time of year.

Yeah DNR was patrolling and I didn't have circle hooks to live line with, so it wasn't worth the potential fine. I've been stopped a few times by them in my kayak and it's always been around that time of year, or in the dead of winter. I guess there are too many other people to worry about in summer and fall. 

I did catch a few 18-25" striper in that same spot right around that time, so yeah maybe there were bigger ones just below them feeding on those menhaden. Alas, I'll never know. Had I not gotten my new PB a few weeks before that, I probably would've been going all out live-lining.

thanks for the updates.where are the target ships located at point lookout? I think it try solomons on sunday if the weather is good.be safe out there.

1 hour ago, danta said:

thanks for the updates.where are the target ships located at point lookout? I think it try solomons on sunday if the weather is good.be safe out there.

38.04027, -76.15472