FishingmaniYaks

AUGUST 2020 Fishing Report

Rate this topic

152 posts in this topic

Report as little or as much detail as you would like to provide the reader but please don't post specific street names or areas.

A specific spot is too much information!
It's not like telling a friend or two, posting it here is telling thousands. Doing so only creates crowds, garbage, and loss of our spots.

Try to keep other conversations, inquires, and rants in separate threads.

For example, you can say that you caught fish in Ocean County but saying that you got them at Ocean Beach is a no-no.

The terms to use are..........

Monmouth County
Ocean County
Atlantic County
Cape May County
North Jersey for the Hudson and other backwaters.

County name plus "In the back" for Inlets, Rivers, and Bays.

As a collective group I hope we can all fish for a greater cause this spring. It is known that the stock is in trouble, but still salvagable. Please release the females properly, and keep a modest amount for the dinner table if you so choose.

Crazy year has now led us into August already. Heat waves has made fishing pretty tough last few weeks. Early in the a.m. seems to be the ticket for me. Was out today from 630am to 2pm. (Kid swap in the kayak) fish bite turned off around 1030am. Had all sorts of pickings today somewhere in the Raritan Bay. Weakfish in numbers I haven't seen in years to 24", cownose rays to blow your arms off, porgies the size of plates, and a pretty decent fluke bite. All after a good rain from yesterday. Water temp topped at 83 so still steamy. Fluke in picture is 22" to give a perspective of the porgies. 

20200801_090237.jpg

20200801_145024.jpg

Looks awesome. Any suggestions for what bait to try at night or early morning? Thinking of going to nomoco or hook, or potentially IBSP.

1 hour ago, Raak said:

Looks awesome. Any suggestions for what bait to try at night or early morning? Thinking of going to nomoco or hook, or potentially IBSP.

Bunker.  

1 hour ago, Raak said:

These were caught on straight gulp 4" mullet(green). Clam works pretty good for them. Actually hooked a live clam accidentally, opened it and worked very  well on a 3/0 hook. You definitely want to size down on the hooks but these being so big I still got them. Guaranteed I would have had more because of how many times bitten off. Chum bag will work great bringing them to you if possible.

5 hours ago, FishingmaniYaks said:

Crazy year has now led us into August already. Heat waves has made fishing pretty tough last few weeks. Early in the a.m. seems to be the ticket for me. Was out today from 630am to 2pm. (Kid swap in the kayak) fish bite turned off around 1030am. Had all sorts of pickings today somewhere in the Raritan Bay. Weakfish in numbers I haven't seen in years to 24", cownose rays to blow your arms off, porgies the size of plates, and a pretty decent fluke bite. All after a good rain from yesterday. Water temp topped at 83 so still steamy. Fluke in picture is 22" to give a perspective of the porgies. 

20200801_090237.jpg

20200801_145024.jpg

Wish I could catch like that off the surf in the RB right now haha. Anyway hit central Cape May co. for kings today. Caught a couple of kings but we couldn’t keep the spots away. We decided to just embrace it and the kid and I caught like 30-40 spots in a few hours. He had a blast. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Split outings today. The Empress wanted a beach day. MoCo predawn to noon. I’m convinced something is up with the water up there. Light N wind turning S, end of high tide to low, water heavily stained and lots of mussel spooge. Short fluke  to 16”. Thankfully no rays. Saw a guy fill a plastic bag full of cocktail blues.

SoMoCo dusk 60min. Steady S wind middle of outgoing, plenty of white water, clean and warm. Thought I had the First cast curse with a lil fluke. At the end of the outing all of a sudden line started peeling. I thought I had another ray on. But I tightened up the drag and it felt like an angry bass or decent bluefish. Turned out it was my first keeper sized bass of the year. 32” to the tape. Took the naked Zman curly tail. She was pretty warm and still swimming for me to battle another day/night. Great way to start August! 

E2BBCD77-9DFA-4EDE-BFF3-1743E9283FD7.jpeg

Edited by DeeMonee

10 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Split outings today. The Empress wanted a beach day. MoCo predawn to noon. I’m convinced something is up with the water up there. Light N wind turning S, end of high tide to low, water heavily stained and lots of mussel spooge. Short fluke  to 16”. Thankfully no rays. Saw a guy fill a plastic bag full of cocktail blues.

SoMoCo dusk 60min. Steady S wind middle of outgoing, plenty of white water, clean and warm. Thought I had the First cast curse with a lil fluke. At the end of the outing all of a sudden line started peeling. I thought I had another ray on. But I tightened up the drag and it felt like an angry bass or decent bluefish. Turned out it was my first keeper sized bass of the year. 32” to the tape. Took the naked Zman curly tail. She was pretty warm and still swimming for me to battle another day/night. Great way to start August! 

Nice catch! You were using curly tail? We’re you targeting flukes and caught the strips one by accident?

Just now, Wuwu888 said:

Nice catch! You were using curly tail? We’re you targeting flukes and caught the strips one by accident?

Thanks! Correct.

Inaugural Monmouth County kingfish trip, first hour of outgoing, pretty easy & fun, caught a dozen on bloodworm FB. Fish tacos for lunch

174948CA-A0E3-485D-AECF-0EC7EE5F8C87.jpeg

Edited by suntzu

Had a beach day yesterday afternoon with the family. There was some big water and the surfers were putting on a show. Saw some spanish way out. Caught a few short fluke. Saw a guy walk off the beach in the distance with a nice sized keeper.  Also got a 20" bass on the gulp which I was not expecting. 

Edited by adams54

11 hours ago, DeeMonee said:

Very nice. Well deserved. You've been putting in the time and effort. No freezer burn, so I assume you mean this August! :D

12 mins ago, adams54 said:

Had a beach day yesterday afternoon with the family. There was some big water and the surfers were putting on a show. Saw some spanish way out. Caught a few short fluke. Saw a guy walk off the beach in the distance with a nice sized keeper.  Also got a 20" bass on the gulp which I was not expecting. 

How do you know they were spanish and not snapper blues? I’m not being a prick I am seriously wondering.

I can recognize spanish when they jump but they “frenzy” blitz the same as snappers to me when they’re way out. I do know what albies look like though and I can’t wait. It is some of my favorite NJ fishing next to top water stripers. Last year was actually pretty good for me at least. It’s almost albie time. 

1 min ago, BobBass said:

How do you know they were spanish and not snapper blues? I’m not being a prick I am seriously wondering.

I can recognize spanish when they jump but they “frenzy” blitz the same as snappers to me when they’re way out. I do know what albies look like though and I can’t wait. It is some of my favorite NJ fishing next to top water stripers. Last year was actually pretty good for me at least. It’s almost albie time. 

Spanish have a unique jump and profile that help me distinguish from snapper blues. Yesterday they werent blitzing just the occasional one-off jump. Albies are fun. Love that time of year. Except last year I had very little luck with them. Maybe I need to try some new spots. 

49 mins ago, nam1969 said:

Very nice. Well deserved. You've been putting in the time and effort. No freezer burn, so I assume you mean this August! :D

Ha! Thank you Sir! Hopefully it’s a good omen for the rest of the year. Tight lines!