JBreese1

Need a recommendation for a good walking shoe / sneaker

Rate this topic

33 posts in this topic

Hi all, I need first hand recommendations for a good walking shoe or sneaker. I WILL NOT BUY NIKE, THEY CAN EAT A BAG OF DICKS !!! Since my last surgery I have had many more complications. Weight gain, water retention, and breathing issue's. After a C.T. scan they found I was in congestive heart failure. I had severe fluid retention around my heart and lungs. It was compressing the artery from my heart to my lungs and caused an enlargement of the right side of my heart. The good news is that they put me on a strong diuretic. I lost 8 #'s the first two days and now am down from 233 to 218 in about 3 weeks. I have also drastically changed my diet. The wife and I are walking every day pushing for 10,000 steps. I do well some days, not so good on others. Now the problem is my feet. At night as soon as I lay down my feet start burning, tingling, and feel cold. I feel like I have sausage toes or have rolls of stuff between my toes. I CANNOT SLEEP. This happens almost every night. We saw a pattern developing. The further I walk during the day, the worst my feet are at night. Thurs I was feeling ****** and did not walk at all and my feet were so much better Thurs night. Yesterday , Fri. we did about 5 Mi. Last night was horrific. I was up past 4:00 A.M. I was ready to cut my feet off. At first we though it might have been from one of my many med's, but I think it's my cheap sneakers. Please let me know what you fitness guru's recommend. This is just for walking, I would croak if I tried to jog or run.

Thanks

Jim

Posted (edited) · Report post

Brooks Ghost are by far my favorite running/walking shoes ever. Asics and New Balance are alright too. No matter which way you go, get custom inserts.

Edited by ASrod

asics gel venture 7.  actually, it doesnt have to be the 7, their models vary very little from year to year.  

They are a trail running shoe, meaning it has good support and isnt a minimalist shoe, but they are not heavy.  

Screen Shot 2020-08-01 at 3.03.32 PM.png

Some insoles may help,but you need to know if you pronate or not, as some of those insoles are made for that,as mentioned custom may be a way to go.

The fit of the shoe is important,more important than the brand IMO.I like a high top,Danner makes some low and high tops on different lasts.I also don't mind some weight vs a light weight running shoe.

9 mins ago, PlumFishing said:

Not to get all medical, but has your doctor checked for peripheral neuropathy?

My primary had mentioned it, but it only happens at night as soon as I lie down.  I have not gone to a neurologist for testing. He is way more concerned with my other problems and keeping me alive. I have coronary artery disease, Heart disease, kidney disease, psoriatic arthritis and connective tissue disease. I had bi lateral pneumonia at the end of May that took over a month to clear my lungs. My kidneys are working around 50%. That may be why I am retaining so much fluids. They cant control my blood pressure. That may be contributing to my kidney issue's. I valley and peak with all the meds so far. I wake up at the high 190's over high 90's. Take my pills, and a few hours I am at the 1 teens over 70's. Back at night before bed I am back in the danger high zone.

I have been wearing Merrell sneakers in wide sizes for about ten years. They are great. And I have semi bad feet. 

Before you spend a lot of bucks on new shoes, you should go to a running store for evaluation. The can tell from your gait whether you overpronate or are neutral or under pronate. If you over pronate I would recommend the Brooks Beast. I have worn them for 15 years ( they keep improving them from year to year ) and they have really cut down on injuries. Another alternative would be to visit a Walmart and use the Dr. Schoolls machine that can diagnose you foot and recommend an insert.

5 mins ago, JBreese1 said:

My primary had mentioned it, but it only happens at night as soon as I lie down.  I have not gone to a neurologist for testing. He is way more concerned with my other problems and keeping me alive. I have coronary artery disease, Heart disease, kidney disease, psoriatic arthritis and connective tissue disease. I had bi lateral pneumonia at the end of May that took over a month to clear my lungs. My kidneys are working around 50%. That may be why I am retaining so much fluids. They cant control my blood pressure. That may be contributing to my kidney issue's. I valley and peak with all the meds so far. I wake up at the high 190's over high 90's. Take my pills, and a few hours I am at the 1 teens over 70's. Back at night before bed I am back in the danger high zone.

What out for hidden salt in your diet,read those labels.I have been battling high BP,I didn't respond so the dosage was increased, eventually it got lower than was optimal,so it was lowered the other day.
Are you elevating your feet after your walk?

9 mins ago, Jetty Jumper said:

What out for hidden salt in your diet,read those labels.

Jetty Jumper, Thanks. My wife is a saint. She has forced me to eat healthier, does all the shopping and cooks only healthy for me. It is frustrating to go to the food store with her. She compares every item looking at salt, saturated fats, trans fats, calories and everything else. It is too bad I didn't start this 15 years ago. I would be in much better shape now.

Jim

JIm -

Have you considered you might have Restless Leg Syndrome (Kramer's partner Sara Silverman suffered from RLS - aka "Jimmy Legs" - on an episode of Seinfeld)? It manifests in a bunch of different ways - heat, itching, numbness, twitching, weird feelings, etc. - usually at night. It's believed to be a form of neuropathy and gabapentin, an anticonvulsant, is one of the treatments for it.

Ref shoes, after a really painful bout of plantar fasciitis eight or ten years ago a podiatrist clued me in on SAS (San Antonio Shoes) sneakers. They are $200 plus bucks a pair but they are all I wear now - with added arch supports. I haven't found any walking shoes that work better for me, and they seem to last longer than other brands, making the price almost bearable.