Gully

Spending some time in Connecticut in September

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

So the lady and I will be at a wedding in Wolcott on the 12th of September. We’re gonna make a mini vacation out of it while we’re in the area. Looking for quiet rustic towns with a downtown area to enjoy a nice meal. I would love some recommendations for places closer to the coast and of course fishing access.  Also curious of what kinda gear I should expect to bring. Not looking to go super hardcore, just wanna wet a line. I’m mostly a light tackle guy who would enjoy catching snapper blues and small stripers and be perfectly fine with that. And maybe some fly fishing action if that’s not gonna be too much trouble. A cool spot to fish with small fish is more enjoyable to me than fighting a mob to catch a slob. I will be with my wife so I’m not going to desert her to fish. She will fish if she’s in the mood. Any advice guys would be great and thanks in advance!!  

I'd go east of New Haven. Around the CT river is really nice. 

The mouth of the river has a state park I've been meaning to goto.  Supposed to have a long patio/boardwalk thing that u can fish from.  Goes along the river bank.  Ct DEEP website has a great interactive map of all the public fishing places.  

Bluff Point State Park in Groton has a nice beach front and also salt pond behind it where you can wet a line. Since you speak of Sept, you could also try Niantic (Cini Park) has a board walk and beach where you can park for free after Labor Day. I’ve caught small stripers and nice blues from shore there. Rocky Neck SP in East Lyme, and Harkness in Waterford also offer access.  In Groton there’s Eastern Point Beach, which has some rocks to fish off, and Uconn Avery Point has some nice rocky area to fish off. With Covid not sure what will be open but there are spots you can get to the water in E CT. Good luck and keep us posted on your success! 

I would second Waterford/ Groton with the parks that were mentioned.  Are you currently living in CT?  Ct is still in Phase 3,so some indoor dining is allowed,but limited. Who knows what it will be like in a month?  I live in the area and love it,you'll have fun.

On 8/1/2020 at 5:03 PM, Good2Go said:

Bluff Point State Park in Groton has a nice beach front and also salt pond behind it where you can wet a line. Since you speak of Sept, you could also try Niantic (Cini Park) has a board walk and beach where you can park for free after Labor Day. I’ve caught small stripers and nice blues from shore there. Rocky Neck SP in East Lyme, and Harkness in Waterford also offer access.  In Groton there’s Eastern Point Beach, which has some rocks to fish off, and Uconn Avery Point has some nice rocky area to fish off. With Covid not sure what will be open but there are spots you can get to the water in E CT. Good luck and keep us posted on your success! 

I haven't fished in CT in many years but these were all great spots when I did. Excellent advice.

I would focus your fishing efforts in the locations Good2Go provided. In addition to your striper gear I would make sure you have 15 pound fluorocarbon and some small metal/tin/epoxy jigs as you may have a shot at a tunoid from shore.