Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug. 2 - Aug. 9

Rate this topic

27 posts in this topic

Never got out. Lost power shortly after 4pm, and still dont have it. :banghd: 2 Roads near me were blocked by trees and had a large one come down across my back yard, partially on kids swing set. Another in my front.  Small area around my house seemed to have gotten a juiced up storm cell, did some serious damage, trees on cars and roads are a mess with tree parts.  

12 hours ago, Kooky said:

Never got out. Lost power shortly after 4pm, and still dont have it. :banghd: 2 Roads near me were blocked by trees and had a large one come down across my back yard, partially on kids swing set. Another in my front.  Small area around my house seemed to have gotten a juiced up storm cell, did some serious damage, trees on cars and roads are a mess with tree parts.  

Geez that sucks man. (Tree damage; though I suppose the "no fishing" part sucks too)

On the positive side.. a swingset is relatively easy to replace. A big tree into the house? Yikes. Much bigger problems.

That squall line had some legitimate storm cells for sure.

11 hours ago, rst3 said:

Geez that sucks man. (Tree damage; though I suppose the "no fishing" part sucks too)

On the positive side.. a swingset is relatively easy to replace. A big tree into the house? Yikes. Much bigger problems.

That squall line had some legitimate storm cells for sure.

Fully agree. when we were assessing after the storm my oldest says "worst day ever".  I told him, "No Way. No one was hurt, nothing really damaged, and we can clean this up ourselves.  Yes its annoying and frustrating, but could have been way worse".

I think many really underestimated the punch just that line was bringing.  

Estimated power fix is Friday at 8pm... We just call it "camping" till then. 

4 hours ago, Kooky said:

Fully agree. when we were assessing after the storm my oldest says "worst day ever".  I told him, "No Way. No one was hurt, nothing really damaged, and we can clean this up ourselves.  Yes its annoying and frustrating, but could have been way worse".

I think many really underestimated the punch just that line was bringing.  

Estimated power fix is Friday at 8pm... We just call it "camping" till then. 

At least it's not like in the winter time you lose power and no heat. Freezing pipes ...... *shivers*

Fished a jetty in North East RI this morning. I saw one pod of fish come up out of reach. They looked like small blues or bass. They were quickly gone. Didn't see anything else. I caught one small schoolie that was hiding in a rock right in front of me. Also tried for fluke and didn't get one tap. The scup fishing also looked very slow. A few caught every so often and mostly small. The bait seemed to be thinned out. There was micro bait along the bank but didn't see big pods of bait. Water was a little cloudy and surprisingly not much weed in the water.

Very nice morning. Maybe too nice for the fish.

Fished off the block, lots of BSB 2-4 lb range, zero fluke , a few scup   changed to trolling before dark and landed a few short stripes , one 7lb blue, and one hog striper got off just before landing it, was well over slot

Got out at sunset, rocky ocean front shoreline. Couple bass on pencils before dark and then sp and red gil at and after dark. Ended w over 12 fish mostly 20-24” w a few 25/26”. Fish seemed to follow bait in and out of range. we are moving past the doldrums finally. 

swung by a backwater spot after dark, and it was paved w 1/2” peanuts. Small picky bass feeding making it look like rain as bait sprayed everywhere. Too much bait and super picky fish. 

pieces are starting to line up for a potentially good fall!

Fished in my boat inshore south coast Friday. A lot of pods of Chub Mackerel. Tough to get a shot at them alone with a fly rod and when you got it right tough to get them to eat. Chasing tiny rain bait. Did get a couple. If you have the right sized fly rod I think their fun.