Capt.Castafly

RI Fish Report Blog. Aug. 2 - Aug. 9

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

The fish blog was created as a communal gathering place to share and report weekly fishing activity. The sharing benefits those who greatly use this RI forum and our local waters.

The premise is to gather all weekly reports into one common portal unit, making it easy to access, view and add your own reports.  

This is the third year with this kind of approach. Last year was great participation. 

Post your success or skunks.   Either way, black or white, zero to hero,  let us all know if the bite is good or is it not worth fishing at all.

Fresh, factual information is the best Intel source we have today at our disposal. 

Here it is August, the Dog Days of Summer. Water temperatures are at its highest, coastlines are always busiest with tourist and beach goers.

If you pay attention to the sunrises, the sun is raising now after 5:30am.  Two thirds of the summer is already over. Going to fast for me.

Since I hadn't been keeping up with the weekly report threads...I'll offer my observation of the trend I've experienced going back to the end of June through this past Sat. I've been fishing the NE corner of the state from shore in that time span and have probably logged 18-20 trips in that span...for the first two weeks, the blue fishing was good, although mostly small (topped out around 5lbs). The first bonito I witnessed being caught was back in the last weekend of June, and I finally got my first bone on 7/10...also a fair smattering of smallish stripers.  On the flip side, although these game fish were moving around the area, there were no real concentrations of bait (just that really tiny stuff you can see spray away from your lure on retrieval)...so there was nothing really for them to sit on.

However, since the trip on 7/10 (when I caught a bonito), the situation has almost become dire, with a total of 6 very small schoolies, 2 small bluefish and two of those frigate/bullet tuna + a variety of bottom fish that hit epoxies bounced down deep...on the flip side, the bait situation has improved a lot, and if the featured guests show up, they may stick around instead of just blast through. So hopefully just a lull

Fished south eastern bay area from shore today and yesterday.  Observed huge schools surface feeding near shore with masses of bird action.  The fish were mostly bass with some blues.  Most of the bass landed were close to keeper size but no keepers landed.  It was with in an hour of high tide, low wind, sunny, and the bait was all very small.  The lures that worked were small plastics (4"), small epoxies(1oz and lower), and bone jumping minnow.  I didn't risk a Hogy soft bait, but feel that it would have worked well too.

Surfed this morning and saw bass busting bait.  No surf casters or boats on them for 4 hours I was in the water.  Even when the birds were diving on bait, the boats still didn't get the hint.   

Posted (edited) · Report post

Went south today to a popular jetty. Perfect clam condition with plenty of kayakers and boats searching for the bullets. Tons of different pods pops up around high tide for almost 2 hours. Unfortunately I don't see any one hooks up as they were on tiny bait that were like 1/2" (fry?). I was surrounded by them and was not able to get them to bit anything. Closer observation that they look like a large mackerels that comes in 8-10 together and it's only about 15-18" long at most. Maybe other can chime in of what they are. 

On the other hand, bottom fishing is slow. Zero flounder were caught. 2 keeper seabass and lots of sea robins and scup. 1 dog fish. Others might be fishing for togs as today reopened? Wind picked up around 11ish and we headed back.

Edited by foxfai

2 hours ago, Captain Tuttle said:

Surfed this morning and saw bass busting bait.  No surf casters or boats on them for 4 hours I was in the water.  Even when the birds were diving on bait, the boats still didn't get the hint.   

Similar situation for me, although I got the hint. There’s a ton of small bait around, and the terns are usually a good indicator. Sometimes, it seems like it’s just bait and birds, but I’ve managed a few keeper-sized bass lately on light tackle.

The bait is both out front and in the rivers and inlets, but so far I’ve only caught the larger fish out front. Many of the blitzes I’ve seen in the rivers have been from very small stripers. 

Fished Sunday evening from about 6 to 10pm from shore in a big river North East RI. Things didn't start well. After a couple casts my bail flipped and sent my new hydro pencil with new hooks out to sea. Just ordered that thing on line. I knew I probably should have ordered two. A few minutes later I was putting a ranger back in my bag and it slipped out of my hand and fell to the bottom. Oh well.

Now to the fishing. The wind was brutal. The water was clean (nice). The bait was stacked. Small peanut bunker and small silversides or slender bait all over the place. A few pods of fish working under birds and one was huge. But it was frustrating. They were either too far out, to far to the right, to far to the left. They did come close enough a few times and they were blues in the 4/6lb range. But I could only catch one. By the time I got another cast off they had moved. In total I managed 4 blues and two very small bass. The bass were caught after dark. I tried a few other spots on my way to the car but no luck.

Now I have to see whats going on with my reel. I've lost two hydro pencils to bail flip the last month. The reel is about 20+year old penn 6500 ss. I have to pay attention to where the bail is when casting. It's annoying. Also the anti reverse is not engaging quickly. It rotates about half way then kicks in. I'm wondering if the two are related. Time to take it apart.

Really encouraging to see how much bait there is in the river.

Fished Sunday 5:00am-10:00am multiple spots out front.  Decent southerly wind was pushing bait to shore by late morning. So we stayed within 100 yards of shore most of time.  There were huge blitzes of chub mackerelTotal of 3 striper, 1 mackerel, , 1 blue.  Chub took a small epoxy and stripers/blue hit mackerel pattern lure. 

FE81AE9C-8CC6-45B9-A176-BFABF1CE3051.jpeg

0D6F009A-50E9-4ADF-A758-CEBA5E21B0AE.jpeg

0804DA2F-A399-49F5-B2A1-FEE163E715A2.jpeg

15 hours ago, Bassomatic 76 said:

Fished Sunday 5:00am-10:00am multiple spots out front.  Decent southerly wind was pushing bait to shore by late morning. So we stayed within 100 yards of shore most of time.  There were huge blitzes of chub mackerelTotal of 3 striper, 1 mackerel, , 1 blue.  Chub took a small epoxy and stripers/blue hit mackerel pattern lure. 

FE81AE9C-8CC6-45B9-A176-BFABF1CE3051.jpeg

0D6F009A-50E9-4ADF-A758-CEBA5E21B0AE.jpeg

0804DA2F-A399-49F5-B2A1-FEE163E715A2.jpeg

Nice to see some fish pics and a face to go with a name.

46 mins ago, Bwt570 said:

Against my better judgement I probably will haha. Too many striper skunks for me lately. 

Good luck! If all is quiet on the home-front, i hope to sneak out before dark so i can get a good assessment of conditions before fishing after dark.  High tide just after sunset could make things interesting.