Stripernut1

No Q boat rentals

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Sorry if this sounds like an out of touch question...and I'm probably aging myself (since it's been a very long time since I rented a skiff)...but does 'Q' mean Quabbin  (as in the freshwater res) or Quincy (as in like the flounder fleet)?

Not sure...I know of a few that have stopped renting (Macos in Wareham for example)...But in saltwater, (way in the past), I've rented from Macos, Mary's boathouse in Marshfield/North River, Quncy and Salem Willows...not sure which ones may still be in operation...also rented skiffs in Quabbin what seems like 100 years ago

When I was a kid my dad and I would rent a skiff in Glouchester for flounder, good times... It had been a long time since they did that.

You can put your own boat on the Q with regulations or rent a boat with a motor, but this year with the virus no rentals. They were going to start the rentals again, but it looks like at the last minute they stopped.

According to the Quabbin website, boat rentals are starting up again as of today.  I also saw a picture that a friend posted who had just walked into one of the boat launch areas and there were rental boats lined up for use.

Yup. Boat rentals started today. I was there Wednesday and again yesterday. Skipped today for obvious reasons :)

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, Stripernut1 said:

Word is they have changed their minds on the rentals. I have not confirmed it yet, so best check before you go!

Yes, they changed their minds last minute.

The rentals were supposed to start today, Saturday, 8/1. However, the DCR pulled the plug last minute on Friday evening.

I didn't try to rent this weekend because I figured there'd be a rush. Glad I didn't. I would of been mad, after getting up in the wee hours of the morning, then driving 1 1/4 hours to get in line.

Hopefully they open them soon. August & September are good fishing months up there.

They had a few rules to rent. You had to bring your own PFD, rather than using the Q's. Only 3 people in a boat, but only 2 if they were not from the same household. Wearing masks when getting your boat then again when docking and leaving, etc.

I wonder if MA's new rule had an influence that out-of-staters, from certain states that are spiking, had to self quarantine for 14 days. I don't know if any border states are part of the quarantine list.

Hopefully they figure this out. I'd hate to lose a whole season at the 'Q. I've been fishing there since I was a kid, starting around '79.

Edited by zak-striper

I only fished the Q a couple times, and it was great.  But I used to explore the area frequently. Beautiful underutilized part if the state. Don't ever allow it to become like the canal.

All New England states, as well as NY (and for some reason) Hawaii are on the exception list in terms of not having to self quarantine...For me, that's a good thing since I fish in RI a lot

I noticed a small uptick in cases - MA still doing ok, but have jumped from 200-300 new cases a day to 400-500 cases...Not sure I'd agree if this played into their decision to reverse course. I pretty much believe most of the state (and metro centers in the US) has already been exposed and are/were asymptomatic...Especially if you believe the suggestion that there are actually 10x times the cases than what's being reported...the math would suggest this is true

10 hours ago, ged said:

Yup. Boat rentals started today. I was there Wednesday and again yesterday. Skipped today for obvious reasons :)

WTF???

I was the last boat off the water Friday and talked to the guy for a while about the opener and decide against going. 

They had decided “last minute” to allow rentals on Tuesday, even paying OT and rushed to get the boats ready, just to cancel last minute?

18 hours ago, ged said:

WTF???

I was the last boat off the water Friday and talked to the guy for a while about the opener and decide against going. 

They had decided “last minute” to allow rentals on Tuesday, even paying OT and rushed to get the boats ready, just to cancel last minute?

Nothing makes sense in this Covid World. What safer place is there than out on a giant lake? How hard would it be to disinfect the rental boats? Just wipe off the tiller handle and you’re good to go.