Bendmar18

Favorite Rod Weight

Rate this topic

40 posts in this topic

Salt, favorite is a 9. Most useful is a 10 tho.

fresh, I’m so new to it that my opinion will change but now it’s a 3 euro type rod. I want a 2 at some point though. 

On 8/8/2020 at 4:24 PM, ifsteve said:

12wt.

Because if I am holding a 12 wt there is a good chance I am tarpon fishing and I'd rather fish for them than anything!!!

Haha that was one of my criteria before I got into 11 wts...it is a very versatile rod, I've used it for years from tarpon to big dorado to sailfish to mako sharks.  Now of course the state of the art, for me, is an 11 - the lightness of a 10 with the strength of a 12 (at least my old 12).

Depends on the wind & fish.... Stripers on the outflow I fish rarely go over 28", most are in the 16" - 22" range. No point isn using a 9wt unless the wind is howling.  I've used a 6wt TICRx with 6wt Ambush line sometimes with no regrets. One roll cast & then shoot...

If there could only be one weight, which I think was the OP's question, then for me and for the fishing I can access within driving distance (which is 95% of my fishing every year, and 100% in 2020), it'd be a 7 weight, graphite for salt, glass for fresh.  

For salt, unfortunately I've not seen a striper too big for a 7 weight in years.  And yes, if it's really howling a 7 is  a challenge.  But if it's really howling the fish are also as likely to be at your feet as they are to be 60 feet out.

For fresh, I love throwing streamers for trout, LL salmon, LMB, pickerel, etc.  And I've yet to hook a carp, but I'm confident my glass 7 (Tom Morgan blank) could handle it.