Capecod365

Line snapped

Rate this topic

19 posts in this topic

Spent a a good six hours at the canal today. A light rain pushed people back into their cars between 6am and 7am. 

Bait fish were in the area but luck for me. Every-time I’m down there I know it’s a learning curve and I expect to lose a jig or plug at some point based on inexperience. I lost a buck tail after fighting to save it for about 20 minutes. A few minutes later I tied up another lead (50 pound mono), angler clip with a swivel of the braid. After about 30 casts with a SP the line snapped and I was down another lure. I don’t think my guide is cracked because I haven’t had an issue with this particular setup all season. I imagine the knot was tied poorly and or the lead was to short. 

I hope Sunday off the beach brings more luck, either I was fortunate to spend the morning outside. Hopefully others have better luck this weekend. 

Have to be careful about the knots used when tying to braid. Always cut back the braid after having to break off, the last few feet are probably scuffed.

There are certain knots that don't perform well with braid  - Roland Martin - The "SON!!!!!" guy from Bassmasters back in the day has a great youtube video about good knots for braid.  Might be a good idea to pick a couple and practice.

6 hours ago, Capecod365 said:

Braid with a mono lead. 

Until I was good with knots I used a barrel swivel & a palomar knot (very easy to tie) to connect my mono to braid.   Never had a breakoff there.   But that was after I lost some good tackle due to bad knots.  

I use a Alberto knot now. Easy for me to remember. 

If I think about it I tie only 4knots. 

Improved cinch

Palomar

Alberto

Uni to Uni (usually only when I tie braid to braid) 

My shortterm memory is all messed up with meds, so those 4 I know well.  

Check out **** dot com.  Great source of info for me with gifs of tying. 

11 hours ago, Capecod365 said:

... I imagine the knot was tied poorly...

CC 365.......for that extra ounce of safety, when I pretied either mono or braid, I always took a cigarette lighter flame to the tag end. 

Be careful not to singe the knot itself.  Just put a little nub on that tag end so that if the knot slips, the nubbed tag end will not slip through the knot.

Give it some thought.....suggest you practice first .  Some guys use glue.  Either way....you want to minimize the possibility of your knot not holding.    

all I use for line to line is the reverse Albright. simple not to remember and hasn't failed me yet. I see all these videos about fg knots and stuff but in the field with fish being caught and in a rush trust me you want something quick easy and reliable.

Bimini to a Ball Bearing Swivel (black) and if I feel the need for a longer leader I use a Wind-On (when casting to Tuna). The Bimini just does not brake. I have broken more swivels than had a Bimini fail (most often when hong on the bottom). In the dark, you can hear/feel the knot hit your tip-top guide so you can stop before the swivel hits you a guide. For my clients that can't seem to figure it out, it only takes me a minute or two to loop off the swivel and add a rubber bead to protect to the tip-top. I know of many nice fish caught with a braid to leader knot and I know of many that have been lost. Even if the knot starts out strong it does not always stay strong. To each his own, but for me, I catch plenty of fish with a shorter leader and I don't have braid to leader failers... I have long lost count of the number of clients that are using their own gear and when I give a pull/yank on their braid to leader knot and it parts in my hands (I had to start testing them after all the fish lost). Many will tell me that the shop tied it for them or I never had that break before, but then you find they had never caught a fish that really tested it. That "big" fish is the one I am tieing my knots for.

The palomar is both an idiot and an idiot proof knot---any idiot can tie it, and it's almost impossible to tie it incorrectly. :laugh: 

Palomar to a swivel was all I ever used with braid. Improved clinches on the leader. Key to the leader knots is, reduce the number of turns with thicker mono.

6 mins ago, Ditch Jigger said:

The palomar is both an idiot and an idiot proof knot---any idiot can tie it, and it's almost impossible to tie it incorrectly. :laugh: 

There will always be some idiot either not paying attention, or tying too quickly,  that will end up criss crossing the two lines in the eyelet.   :wag:

Been there a few times myself.