ermghoti

Good-Ass Deals at Wally World

Rate this topic

23 posts in this topic

On 7/31/2020 at 9:21 PM, cashews121 said:

I unfortunately had to go to Walmart in Carle Place today...while I was there I ran over to the fishing dept..shelves are just decimated...90% gone...seriously.

LOL was literally gna take a ride there today. Always looking for a deal 

Edited by RyanJ_88

On 8/3/2020 at 6:39 AM, RyanJ_88 said:

LOL was literally gna take a ride there today. Always looking for a deal 

Honestly, I think the only deals I ever got at Walmart we’re when I stumbled across something that had no price on it or it was out of the package. 
That’s when the manager/clerk  just shoots some random number at you and asks if you’ll take that thing for cheap.

I got a little Penn skirted spool spinning reel  for $5 that way. 
It had no packaging or paperwork but it was a USA made reel and everything was there. Could not pass it up for 5 bucks.

Another time I got this neat telescopic spinning rod made by DAM.

Again, there was no packaging or hang tags on the rod. In fact, they couldn’t even find any information on the rod in the store computer. 
Once again, they asked if I’d take it for $5. How could I refuse?

Other than that, it’s hit or miss at Walmart but I always cruise through their fishing tackle aisles for a quick “check.”

Edited by valentine

I don't know what happened. Through the late 90s-early 2000s, they focused on US made items, and I used to walk out of there with $100+ worth of fishing bits every time, whether I intended to or not. Now I'll go in for a specific, basic item in a pinch, and usually walk out empty handed. They were already dominant back then, a shame they felt they had to cheap out instead of just crapping on their suppliers.

24 mins ago, ermghoti said:

I don't know what happened. Through the late 90s-early 2000s, they focused on US made items, and I used to walk out of there with $100+ worth of fishing bits every time, whether I intended to or not. Now I'll go in for a specific, basic item in a pinch, and usually walk out empty handed. They were already dominant back then, a shame they felt they had to cheap out instead of just crapping on their suppliers.

Lots of manufacturers and retailers are guilty of this.

Everyone wants to buy for less and sell for much more.

Unfortunately, American companies discovered the savings in offshore manufacturing and we’ve now become used to an abundance of imported goods which are often poorly made with limited life expectancy.

I’m still hopeful that USA manufacturing will rebound but I’m not counting on it.

21 hours ago, valentine said:

Honestly, I think the only deals I ever got at Walmart we’re when I stumbled across something that had no price on it or it was out of the package. 
That’s when the manager/clerk  just shoots some random number at you and asks if you’ll take that thing for cheap.

I got a little Penn skirted spool spinning reel  for $5 that way. 
It had no packaging or paperwork but it was a USA made reel and everything was there. Could not pass it up for 5 bucks.

Another time I got this neat telescopic spinning rod made by DAM.

Again, there was no packaging or hang tags on the rod. In fact, they couldn’t even find any on the rod in the store computer. 
Once again, they asked if I’d take it for $5. How could I refuse?

Other than that, it’s hit or miss at Walmart but I always cruise through their fishing tackle aisles for a quick “check.”

Yeah same but unfortunately never had that good of luck. Im always looking for cheap mag darters or whatever else they have for 50% less retail lol. 

On 7/31/2020 at 5:47 PM, ermghoti said:

My local store has tons of fishing crap on clearance, because obviously nobody is ever going to fish in August through September [/sarcasm]. I stocked up on a few things that were cheap anyway, plus a buck or two off, but there were also some pretty startling prices.

Examples: bone Mag Darter 5" $3.25, yellow pearl SP Minnow $2.00, small Bombers in various colors $0.65-$1.00, etc.

nice score and proper use of the hyphen, haha.