fixxer12

Reels and recommended line strength

Rate this topic

6 posts in this topic

Hello all.

I do alot of creek fishing with ultra light rods, so naturally, I've got some small reels paired with these. Most of these reels only listed rating for 2#, 4# and 6# mono line. However, if I decrease the yardage, can I also use 8# mono line? I'm finding that tying knots using 6# sometimes is more difficult that I'd like (line gets stretched easily). Thoughts?

You can use any pound test you want. The thicker the line the less you'll fit on the reel and the shorter your casts will be. In a creek I don't imagine casting distance is too much of a problem. Try it, not much risk ;)

TimS

Line lay can get weird when you greatly exceed specifications. Going one size outside the advertised range shouldn't hurt anything.

4 and 6lb test aren't too challenging to tie, IMO. Are you wetting your knots? Lighter lines overheat really easily.

I do a lot of perch fishing. My set up is 8# braid with about 6' of 8# mono. I use a uni to uni knot and get great casting distance and it's easy to change lures.

I'd stay with 4 or 6. You can also try florocarbon. I just started doing braid with a florocarbon leader and love how more sensitive it is. You gotta get good braid though or it's a nightmare. KastKing is making some really good line lately. 

23 mins ago, Bendmar18 said:

KastKing is making some really good line lately. 

True, heard that many times.