JohnP

What can go wrong - the most common errors of inshore fly fishing

Rate this topic

45 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

I’ve been taking people out fishing now for a number of years. As I think back to the folks who probably catch more fish than average (and the guys who catch fewer fish than average) these are the most common factors.  What do you think?

1 the ability to consistently make a 60 foot cast With 2-3 false casts. So many times I’ll put the nose Of the boat into breaking fish and watch a caster doing the “Albie choke” or realizing they should have spent a few days on the lawn working on line handling and simple casts. Sometimes the line wraps around their neck they don’t want to use a basket or line tamer.  It’s no big deal, they almost always hook a fish or two, but in most cases they could have ironed a few things out before the trip 

2 unwillingness to use a heavier sinking line  Everyone likes the visual. Lots of folks fish mostly freshwater. When those breaking fish go down more often than not they are 10-30 feet beneath us and will still eat. I often show them the sonar to illustrate what’s still down there. A heavy sinking line will keep them Into fish. 

3 not being prepared with 2 or even 3 fly rods rigged and ready to cast if the rod they are using has a bite off or some other failure. How many times we are into fish, they have a bluefish bite off. They take out another rod and begin a long process of rigging up as fish are still breaking. I hand them a new rod but they insist on using their own special rod -still in the tube - they brought for just this kind of day. Oh well I just sit and watch the fish breaking. 

4 the flexibility to adjust the trip a couple of hours earlier or later at times to get into a better wind or tide window  If you have to be back at the dock at 5 otherwise your wife will be mad, well then maybe sometimes it’s worth it to have her be pissed off. Blame it on me. Lol  

5  Insistence on using a fly they be just made and is in love with It, instead of using a fly I give them because it has been working every day of the week   Not much more to say here. Once in a great while someone brings a new fly that does work great. But then theres all the rest of the times

Edited by JohnP

The albie choke is a good one. It can obviously be skill based and nerves or nerves alone. But the site situations are easy to choke on. 

Accuracy is an important skill. You can never be too accurate but I don’t think pinpoint accuracy is needed for most on our fishing here in the NE. But...elsewhere it matters. I was humbled when I went to Belize. Inaccurate casting definitely cost me shots. 

John

Not everyone’s intensity and passion  is the same. They would not see it as an error strewn day in all probability. Just a day out on the water. Some guys are very happy tackle tinkering  it is an integral and important part of their day.

Be happy that you made them very happy. That can never be an error.

Thats kindness and friendship. Hats off to you.

Mikey

Not pointing the rod towards the water / fly when retrieving. I constantly remind some people to do that but they revert to having their rod parallel to the water or higher.

That and the trout set.

I added one more

leaving fish to find fish

this is often a captain error. 

the desire to find greener grass instead of seeing that the fish that are feeding might turn into something on a larger scale which so often is the case 

1 hour ago, DAQ said:

Not pointing the rod towards the water / fly when retrieving. I constantly remind some people to do that but they revert to having their rod parallel to the water or higher.

That and the trout set.

lol then you don’t get a good lookup. 

I watch guys do that and learn a ton of new curse words 

1 hour ago, Mike Oliver said:

John

Not everyone’s intensity and passion  is the same. They would not see it as an error strewn day in all probability. Just a day out on the water. Some guys are very happy tackle tinkering  it is an integral and important part of their day.

Be happy that you made them very happy. That can never be an error.

Thats kindness and friendship. Hats off to you.

Mikey

that’s kinda true but then I get the boo boo face when we are ready to come in and they didn’t hook very many 

Then they are just cheap. Many a guide will have experienced this.

It reminds me of ****** corporate behaviours.

John you gotta be more selective.:howdy:

Mikey

My two biggest problems (while biting my tongue)

(1) Knots, line wrapped around feet,  rod and reel handles, rod tips, body, parts of boat, other casters.

It seems 15% of the fishing time is spent on solving technical problems.  

(2) Simply just not ready to fish.

Most often when action happens, they have no clue to have the line paid out, coils on deck, already being in position.

That's the time they grab their rod out of the holder, strip all the line on the deck, finally make their 1st cast a few feet, now stop,

and undo the line knots from the under coils.

Drives me crazy. I try to explain the actions doesn't last long in most cases. Quickness and getting the cast off is so important,

if you want to keep the catch numbers up.