nfnDrum

Outback Hull new vs old anyone with thoughts

14 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

So the big question is the new Outback hull that much better then the old hull? Is it faster, is it more stable, is the rudder better? I have not settled on anything yet. I'm hoping they solve all the warranty issues that have popped up first. I have not ruled out other models. I'm really hoping they come out with a updated sport to wet my whistle. 

Edited by nfnDrum

I’ve got an ‘18. From what I’ve heard through people that own the new hull. It turns better and is much easier to stand in. Haven’t heard anything about speed or ability to cut thru current with any less fatigue. 

That bump drive offered in the 2020s tho is very interesting. I’ve had my fair share of problems with the standard 180, although I think I am at least slightly to blame. I can’t see the bump drive with all the small moving parts not having its issues after extended use. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

7 hours ago, Local24 SSP said:

I’ve had my fair share of problems with the standard 180, although I think I am at least slightly to blame. 

You absolutely are not to blame.  Hopefully your third spine (?) makes it through the season.

Edited by Rick67

2019 is much better the 2018. I’ve put in many many hours on both. A bit faster, more stable, the rudder.... its more nimble, like the compass, but my big concern was that it’s more prone to damage vs the 2018 and vs the PA. It comes with a rudder guard, necessary for loading and unloading. Mine got chewed up a bit but was functional. Unfortunately the rudder lines are not accessible since Hobie decided not to put in access to the hull in the rear so if one breaks...

otherwise imho the 2019 is far better than The 2018 

5 hours ago, Rick67 said:

You absolutely are not to blame.  Hopefully your third spine (?) makes it through the season.

Yes, third spine now. Also the only one that hasn’t “creaked” while peddling since day one. 

Spine number one I had landed on the beach and across sand bars with the drive in the well but in the “up” position a few different times. Allowing sand to get into the bearings on either side of the sprockets. 

Spine number 2, I honestly couldn’t tell you. Was peddling in one night, 2-3 miles from the launch the sprocket in the spine snapped. I was still able to peddle in tho. 

So far so good with numero tres. Only common occurrence with all three spines is the nut for the forward chain backs out constantly. Blue loctite fixed the issue, but it drove me insane. Kept a 7/16 open end out and ready to tighten it every trip. 

The 2019 is definitely more stable, faster, turns tighter, tracks better (normally), and paddles easier then my previous outback (2014). It does splash more water making it a wetter ride, but it’s kayak fishing so personally I don’t care.

i also have not had the front hatch leaking problem a lot of others have had. Been in rough water taking it over the bow on some occasions almost all day and minimal water gets in the hull. Not to mention it’s so much more fishable then the older models. By the means of the rails and how customizable it is.

I unlike the bum who posted before me, have not had any problems with my drive.... knock on wood. I also like the Guardian transducer mount. Makes it really easy to instal side scan... which is a game changer while bass fishing IMO.

Edited by Pma531

3 hours ago, nfnDrum said:

Anyone with a 2020

Pretty sure it's the same hull as the 2019. 

I can only compare my 2020 Outback to my i11s...and so far with about 20 trips under my belt, I want back in the inflatable lol. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

The inflatable? really thats interesting. 

I can only compare my 2020 Outback to my i11s...and so far with about 20 trips under my belt, I want back in the inflatable lol. 

8 hours ago, buddha162 said:

Your learning how all over again. All new routine, annoying isn't it?

6 hours ago, Rick67 said:

Your learning how all over again. All new routine, annoying isn't it?

Lol exactly...

The i11s is about 2x more nimble on the water, all the other logistics of car-topping an 85lb hull aside. The Outback also feels very cramped, whereas the i11s is sort of a magic carpet ride. Obviously the OB is more seaworthy and I won't sink from a porgy spine through the hull, but it's certainly less than I expected (granted I expected a lot)

Yes 2019 -2020 are the same hull but Hobie is know for tweaks so if anyone knows of them I'm all ears.

Id be interested in Compass hull performance vs Outback. 

A i imagine we are going to see a redesigned Revo soon which will throw another temptation in the mix. 

Edited by nfnDrum

20 mins ago, nfnDrum said:

A i imagine we are going to see a redesigned Revo soon which will throw another temptation in the mix. 

I heard there are "interesting" new stuff coming for 2021. I'm waiting to see that announcement...they usually do the big reveal come Fall. 

1 hour ago, buddha162 said:

Lol exactly...

The i11s is about 2x more nimble on the water, all the other logistics of car-topping an 85lb hull aside. The Outback also feels very cramped, whereas the i11s is sort of a magic carpet ride. Obviously the OB is more seaworthy and I won't sink from a porgy spine through the hull, but it's certainly less than I expected (granted I expected a lot)

If you still have the inflatable I would use that for small waters and the Outback for big water.