achase

portable generator recommendation

Rate this topic

18 posts in this topic

Guys,

Can anyone recommend a portable, duel-fuel (propane/gas) generator for a small house w/out alot of wattage requirements? I know they all work when they're working so looking for reliability plus good customer service if/when needed.

I did a search but want some more recent opinions.

We rarely have long outages but they do happen and we want to at least be able to run the fridge, lights and sump pump (we are flood-prone). Everything is on 110V except washer/dryer.

Thanks in advance, I really appreciate any insight you can offer.

Andrew

Posted (edited) · Report post

You can't go wrong with either the Honda or Yamaha inverter generators for portable.  You can get and carburetor conversion kit to make just about any portable run dual or tri-fuel from uscarburetion online.

Edited by bass-o-matic

I’m not sure if they offer a conversion but I would look into the harbor freight predator inverter generator. The engines are Honda clones which most companies are doing now.

i am in heavy construction and I’ve seen companies starting to buy the predator 3500-4000, whatever the size is. Guys are telling me they work great. In an every day use setting. That’s for a portable type. Like a guy can’t wheel it over to where they are working or whatever.  The bigger machines they are still

buying the good stuff.

if You don’t want to support them, I get that. Buy a big name. A Honda, Yamaha or whatever. 

Honda eu 3000. It sips fuel and is super quiet. After Irene and Sandy it ran 25ft fridge, 20ft freezer, TV , a few lights and the heating and microwave when needed. It ran all day and night and used about 3.5 gals in 24 hrs. To run a hair dryer unplug a few Appliances.

I’m on board with the Honda suggestion as well. I parallel two eu 2000, so I can store and move them around a little easier. Also 1000 watts more than the eu3000 if you need them. 

I have a duromax 4400 watt generator. 4 gal can on it and I get 10-11 hrs. 

I have 2 refrigerator and freezer, plus counter outlets for coffee maker, the normal tv, Internet, lights, garage door opener and a window shaker AC it runs fine. 

Watch those bigger units believing you need 10k or bigger sized only to have them burn through fuel when you could have gotten away with smaller and more efficient. 

Check out generators direct, you can do comparisons between units. 

8 hours ago, saltfisherman said:

Check out generators direct, you can do comparisons between units. 

thanks, will do.

49 mins ago, Kml said:

The honda is quiet I have always said that is my next move. But I have not needed one since sandy. 

Sandy destroyed the area before we got our house. Figured it would be good to get one before we needed it.

Gotta run them dry after use and use them regularly.  My general 8k has been great. Going to do a whole house 16k checks itself, soon.