CLFish5

Setting the hook on a Fluke

Rate this topic

39 posts in this topic

Starting to hate my rod for sure. What rod should I look into? I have a Lexa 300 to pair it with

25 mins ago, pakalolo said:

Not enough backbone with the rod you’re using ! IMHO of course. You need to move the bucktail and the fluke when you set the hook! 

53 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Just checked with manufacturer and the hooks are 6/0 siwash swing hooks. Brand new and real sharp

I like the swing hook action and I think it’s helping me get the bites but maybe making it tough to set the hook?

Ive heard that term before “crossing their eyes” but in actual theory what does it mean?

Means as hard as you can! Chances are your fluke rod has a fairly soft tip. It takes a lot of power to get a good hookset. Don't be bashful about it. Someone else recommended a stinger hook. Definitely will help. A stinger hook has an eye big enough to put the jig hook thru. Then a very small piece of tubing or rubber band to keep it from sliding off.

Usually it feels (to me) like something scraping on the line to which I then lift slightly feeling for weight, if I feel the weight set it hard and keep the line tight. Slack on a fluke is like a guaranteed lost fish.

Tight lines!

36 mins ago, ThrowinPlugs said:

Usually it feels (to me) like something scraping on the line to which I then lift slightly feeling for weight, if I feel the weight set it hard and keep the line tight. Slack on a fluke is like a guaranteed lost fish.

Tight lines!

Thanks Plugs. I do think at some point I’m mistakenly giving slack..just gotta figure out where...

Make sure you talk to the mates about stinger hooks if you are on a party boat, I've seen a few stinger hooks buried in fingers when the mate doesn't know it's there.  I don't think you need it though, sounds like the fish are eating the whole bait but your rod is too soft to really set the hook good.  Find something with a faster action that can hold the size bucktails you are using and that should help a lot.

Posted (edited) · Report post

2 hours ago, nateD said:

Make sure you talk to the mates about stinger hooks if you are on a party boat, I've seen a few stinger hooks buried in fingers when the mate doesn't know it's there.  I don't think you need it though, sounds like the fish are eating the whole bait but your rod is too soft to really set the hook good.  Find something with a faster action that can hold the size bucktails you are using and that should help a lot.

Hey bud. Thanks!

this is the model rod I’m using: tsspj701xh. Not sure if it’s slow or fast

you think that is the issue? 

Edited by CLFish5

36 mins ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey bud. Thanks!

I think I remember people saying these rods weren't like traditional slow pitch but it still has a moderate-slow action so that could be your issue.

qwwdfghhnmnmmmbvv.JPG

3 hours ago, CLFish5 said:

Hey bud. Thanks!

I fish Montauk and shinnecock every week ...

IMHO There's no issue with your rod..or reel... I have that same rod and many others like it and use them religiously for deep water fluking and wreck fishing... I use baitcasters on all of them (the Lexa 300 is a great all around reel for bay and ocean fluking)... infact, about half the time I'm using the 6'6 M model of that rod paired with a daiwa coastal 200 and #15 main line. This combo has half the backbone of your 7'6 XH, and still I almost never loose a fish...

I've heard stinger hooks suggested a few times above... They have a place, and for me it's when I'm using really large/long baits for big doormats. I'll attach a small stinger to a strand of titanium wire and set it about ¾ of the way down the bait. I use a small owner stx I do this only to pick up fish that are short biting..

Here's what I'm dropping...

High/low rig with a naked 6/0 hook about 12/14" up from my bucktail.. I use gulp or home made strips only, I never use regular bait, ever.. usually a 6" grub snipped off for the bucktail on the bottom. Top hook gets something to match what their feeding on (gulp shrimp, gulp swimming mullet, gulp spearing, gulp sand worm etc)...

My technique works extremely well for me and others I've taught that fish with me. I rarely, if ever loose a fish before it hits the net.. touch the bottom and jig intermittently with relatively frequent lifts and redrops.. obviously if the fish slams it then you set the hook and reel, but often it's not a slam and more of a peck peck peck..When I feel a peck I will usually release my spool and allow the fish to inhale and eat my bait for a moment. Then I re-engage my spool, lift firmly (not slow or too fast), and crank at a slow and even pace. I set my drag low enough that if a good fish starts to run a bit, it can pull drag but not too easily.. drag too tight or too loose and you'll loose it to a head shake. You want to control the tension u have on the fish. On larger fish I will pump a bit but always while maintaining the proper amount of pressure.. too much pressure and your likely to pull the hook on a head shake.. too little pressure and the fish will be able to get slack and spit the hook.. it's a  steady, constant, even lift. 

You will develop a feel for it sooner or later, and once you do it will be easy. But I will tell you again, it's not the rod. 

Hope this helps 

On 7/31/2020 at 10:03 AM, Dan Tinman said:

7/0 to 9/0 hooks are fairly big for the average size keeper fluke.  The mouth on a fluke is basically sideways so a smaller hook is easier to get into the fish's mouth.  I actually make a line of bucktails for one customer with the hooks rotated offset to 45° for just that reason.  A stinger hook of a smaller size might help.

Do you have a pic of the rotated offset. Ty

53 mins ago, squidder 329 said:

Do you have a pic of the rotated offset. Ty

I'll have to take a couple pictures.  Don't have any right now.  Hopefully tomorrow.

Posted (edited) · Report post

Shore fluking 3/0 bait holder with gulp, 4/0 -5/0 on bucktail. For boat 5/0-7/0 bait holder chicken rig depending on brand of hook ( eagle claw bait holder 7/0 =6/0 gamakatsu baitholder) little fluke will hold tails on big bait. From shore I go 5” grub and 4” mullet. On the boat you gotta let em eat then slow lift. 

FC416FA3-9930-4B1A-A88B-7AB223BFADAB.jpeg

Edited by JBay718

A flukes mouth isn't very strong.  The reason nets are used. Ya wanna set the hook but ya don't wanna pull the hook out of its mouth :howdy: