RP McMurphy

$100 for Wooden plugs. What now?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

16 mins ago, Southcoastphil said:

You started it?  

Phil, he didn't start it...my guess is he meant he "got involved in" this thread. Please let's keep it on topic, you already accused the OP of trolling and didn't answer me when I asked how. Please let the discussion remain on topic - thanks :)

TimS

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

You started it?  

And this thread was doing so well just funning around passing the time in a time of so much negativity & Doom & Gloom. And this is the kindest reply I could find. 

Sayings.jpg

1 hour ago, TimS said:

Phil, he didn't start it...my guess is he meant he "got involved in" this thread. Please let's keep it on topic, you already accused the OP of trolling and didn't answer me when I asked how. Please let the discussion remain on topic - thanks :)

TimS

Thank You And I was about to go Off-Topic About Boats.  

3 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

Avast, a shot across my bow!  
I can assure you, the OP’s intentions were honorable when starting this discussion. Information was being sought, and info was generously shared. (Maybe more than I bargained for). 

Think of it we had some fun and some even being serious you need not explain. If you ever need an Old Fiberglass rod Just PM me. I got some real Dandies Even a 12 ft Conventional Penn surf rod I rebuilt 100% a real brute.  Free to a good home.   

I remember an article from the Fisherman weekly back in the 1970's telling you to keep your old spark plugs. If you got snagged while bottom fishing the said to hook the plug over the line, close the gap and let it slide down to the snag, the extra weight might free it up.

Never tried it.....

On 8/2/2020 at 2:17 PM, Cheeckakoe said:

Thanks for playing along I started this thread as a Whim poking fun at a subject full of BS from what Was, and is Now & how fishermen are hooked more than the fish. How marketing sucks Pockets clean of $$$$ The hype of Must-haves and Brand Loyalty. There is one driving Factor to the haves Quality Reliability Accessible user friendly. One brand with many levels of Quality mostly again Hype. Lures costing Penneys to make add the Hype - Autograph - Fancy Packaging - and they become $12-$20 $ Lures. To think this all started over a 100 Year Old Wooden ( Cedar  ) Plug ( Lure ) That caught fish and still does.  I started Suff fishing with a Homemade Calcutta Pole Free spool reel with a Leather thumb Drag Linen Line.  Hand cast single hook Sand Eel & Flat Squider lures . and made the Big Jump to a Hopkins making the number of Lures in my bag to 6. 

Every time I see a question posted -- What is the Best --be it Rods Reels Waders Lures ------ I Laugh and am amazed at all the OPINIONS and reasoning. Like asking what is the best Boat when the only commonsense reply is ((( Someone Else's )))) :worms:  

The way many of us learn is by asking questions and in asking which is the best thing to get I think most people are simply trying to eliminate lots of trial and error and perhaps save themselves a little money by eliminating unnecessary purchases.

Nothing wrong with that.

I think fisherman are also superstitious creatures of habit.

Catch one good fish on a blue plug and you’ll be carrying a blue plug with you forever. 
Then you’ll be telling people blue plugs are the best.

I got a kick out of your best boat comment. 

I couldn’t agree more on that one, LOL.

Try some of the smaller beachmasters. Medium Danny, lil guy, Atom Junior , Spin atom. You can also catch a ton of fish with floating so minnows, mag darters and just about anything super strike makes.

I always carried.

surface swimmer

Deep swimmer

Poppers

Jigs

Heavier tins such as crippled herring for distance cast.

Covers most situations.

Nothing beat a herring with a balloon for a bobber . live eels are close and easier to get.

On 8/1/2020 at 1:21 PM, Kent I said:

Can’t find this...got a link?

Kent - I looked around, and was able to locate on you toob - searched for "tools of the trade #11" 

It was a fun/informative video - I've been checking out his other vids as well.

51 mins ago, RP McMurphy said:

Kent - I looked around, and was able to locate on you toob - searched for "tools of the trade #11" 

It was a fun/informative video - I've been checking out his other vids as well.

found it! Thanks. Don’t know why I didn’t head for YouTube in the first place.