RP McMurphy

$100 for Wooden plugs. What now?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

Posted (edited) · Report post

12 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Stop turning the guy away from wood! If youre looking into wood and dont want to spend an arm and a leg I would pay close attention 

I agree and when with a little imagination DIY is rewarding and cheaper. any broom hand is a lure in progress.

Wood_broom_handle.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

7 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

And the list and opinions go on about what lures are best - To Catch Fishermen )  Sorry it is amusing to me when I go into a Tackle shop and seeing the 10000s available. when there are a few proven Killers. The last 2 posts are Absolute Killers.   Keep in mind Fish are color blind So Colors don't matter or they say. 

store.jpg

wall.JPG

lure blast.jpg

makers mark.jpg

fish are colorblind?

tell us how you know.

they have limited color vision but they surely are not seeing everything shades of grey.\

everything that can see has some kind of color vision,thats my idea on it.

HH

Posted (edited) · Report post

10 hours ago, Heavy Hooksetter said:

fish are colorblind?

tell us how you know.

First I sleep at Holiday Inns The rest is published. :hooked:And I read the Book. Notice the Word Intelligent in the Title of the book I will never say fish are smarter than a 5 YO. :thanks: 

chart.jpg

chart 2.jpg

book.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

3 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

First I sleep at Holiday Inns The rest is published. :hooked:And I read the Book. Notice the Word Intelligent in the Title of the book I will never say fish are smarter than a 5 YO. :thanks: 

chart.jpg

chart 2.jpg

book.jpg

from what I see they do see color.

I mean from the graph.

HH

Thanks for playing along I started this thread as a Whim poking fun at a subject full of BS from what Was, and is Now & how fishermen are hooked more than the fish. How marketing sucks Pockets clean of $$$$ The hype of Must-haves and Brand Loyalty. There is one driving Factor to the haves Quality Reliability Accessible user friendly. One brand with many levels of Quality mostly again Hype. Lures costing Penneys to make add the Hype - Autograph - Fancy Packaging - and they become $12-$20 $ Lures. To think this all started over a 100 Year Old Wooden ( Cedar  ) Plug ( Lure ) That caught fish and still does.  I started Suff fishing with a Homemade Calcutta Pole Free spool reel with a Leather thumb Drag Linen Line.  Hand cast single hook Sand Eel & Flat Squider lures . and made the Big Jump to a Hopkins making the number of Lures in my bag to 6. 

Every time I see a question posted -- What is the Best --be it Rods Reels Waders Lures ------ I Laugh and am amazed at all the OPINIONS and reasoning. Like asking what is the best Boat when the only commonsense reply is ((( Someone Else's )))) :worms:  

1 hour ago, Cheeckakoe said:

Thanks for playing along I started this thread as a Whim poking fun at a subject full of BS from what Was, and is Now & how fishermen are hooked more than the fish. How marketing sucks Pockets clean of $$$$ The hype of Must-haves and Brand Loyalty. There is one driving Factor to the haves Quality Reliability Accessible user friendly. One brand with many levels of Quality mostly again Hype. Lures costing Penneys to make add the Hype - Autograph - Fancy Packaging - and they become $12-$20 $ Lures. To think this all started over a 100 Year Old Wooden ( Cedar  ) Plug ( Lure ) That caught fish and still does.  I started Suff fishing with a Homemade Calcutta Pole Free spool reel with a Leather thumb Drag Linen Line.  Hand cast single hook Sand Eel & Flat Squider lures . and made the Big Jump to a Hopkins making the number of Lures in my bag to 6. 

Every time I see a question posted -- What is the Best --be it Rods Reels Waders Lures ------ I Laugh and am amazed at all the OPINIONS and reasoning. Like asking what is the best Boat when the only commonsense reply is ((( Someone Else's )))) :worms:  

now,I'd buy that for a dollar!

HH

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

I wonder if this is the first time we've been trolled by @RP McMurphy?

No doubt it will be the last.

I leave the room for a moment and up pops this post What did I miss about McMurpys post that bothered you.  Amuse me :howdy:

11 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:
said:

Avast, a shot across my bow!  
I can assure you, the OP’s intentions were honorable when starting this discussion. Information was being sought, and info was generously shared. (Maybe more than I bargained for). 

1 hour ago, Southcoastphil said:

Not following Phil...what did he do to troll us? He seemed sincere, he seemed thankful, he's been polite :huh: 

To the question in the OP - I second what a lotta guys have said - look for stuff in the BST Forum. Stick to stuff in the 1oz - 2 1/2oz range, you don't need to start out throwing giant lures. You'll get more bites on smaller stuff most of the time. See if you can find some smaller Gibbs deep diving danny plugs - I think they are 1 1/2oz. Yellow over white, green over white or solid white are reliable colors.  Find some 1oz and 2oz Gibbs bottle plugs (casting swimmers) - same colors...mackerel wouldn't hurt up where you are. Other really good, generally lower priced stuff from Gibbs that has universal fish catching appeal are their 1-2 oz Danny plugs, 1 1/2-2 1/2oz Polaris poppers and their pencil poppers...but those have a steeper learning curve than swimmers.

Stay away from 'designer' plugs to get the most bang for your buck. Lotta very pretty plugs out there...the fish don't care, they'll continue to eat white, yellow or black stuff for a long, long time :)

TimS

2 hours ago, Southcoastphil said:

I'll admit that I'm a little stressed about the direction this discussion took.  If I've offended anybody - then I sincerely apologize. That definitely isn't my intention.  In case it helps, my SOL story is straightforward.  I've fished for years. Mostly freshwater. My family and I vacationed down the Cape in late June.  I fished and caught a couple stripers, and I wanted to do more salt water fishing.  I joined SOL, got some advice, and upgraded my old surfcasting rod and reel.  Now I'm salt water fishing much more often.  I went yesterday, and got a little guy. My family and I went to a beach today.  We swam. I fished and got blanked. 

I'm just a guy trying to have some fun fishing, and trying to learn from people on SOL that know a lot more about it than I do.  That's it. No other agenda.  Phil - I'll PM you in hopes of getting this cleared up.  I think/hope there's some misunderstanding.

3 hours ago, Cheeckakoe said:

You started it?