RP McMurphy

$100 for Wooden plugs. What now?

Rate this topic

57 posts in this topic

44 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

The member asked a simple question about a wooden Plug & than goes on to describe his research.  And the responses are to look into Plastic. And Wood ( Cedar  ) is for the pros long learning curve. I stared with them many my Grandfather made from pcs of a Broom Handel to small ones from Clothes Pins. Balsa Plugs were the norm. Plastic something they were talking about. There were a few carving Cedar Plugs most the same shapes and the Carvers had their following as Collectors do today.  Asbury Park Show dedicated to them. Fishing has turned from catching fish to catching fisherman with all the BS of Must-haves $400 rods $600 reels $10 - $50 plugs lures with someone's autographed endorsement. 100 of Lines. 1000s of rod styles. Fisherman will argue over what will do a better job of catching fish. A tackle shop was a place to buy what you needed with personalized service within a small footprint. To massive department stores filled with stuff to catch fishermen and with Oh Yea Fishing Pros. to separate your money from your wallet. 

Fishing is Fishing nothing has changed fish were caught 3 steps Hook, Reel Cook. A Bamboo Rod Glass Eyes simple Reel Linen Line Cork Bobber Simple Hook maybe a swivel a Sinker either lead or a Spark Plug and you were fishing. Today Holy S+++ everyone is an expert with opinions & sold on $1000s on equipment. And accomplish no more than what was necessary 100 years ago.  It is seen be seen on an ego trip of got to have who has been hooked the fish or fishermen.  Just My Opinion and having fun with the obvious don't get all flustered remember it is a Fun Sport shared with other like-minded Sportsmen and Woman.   

Forgot my answer--- Yes McMurphy it would be fun to catch a Striper on a Wooden Plug.  

hahaha, true, at the end of the day its all just broomsticks , wired and spray painted.

Used to fish downtown Boston opposite Polcaris, in the North end, locals made broomstick plugs, no swimming action, just slow retrieve, looked like a water rat, blues loved to hit them, if it moves its food.

Wonderful feedback.  Very much appreciated.  Some have made the very fair point that more homework is needed, and some have shared their knowledge so I'll be in a better position to make good decisions once that homework is further along.  Jonesg was kind enough to send me some equipment.  I'm humbled by that kind of kindness. 

I'm also a big believer in getting out there fishing, and having fun.  Was out of the house at 4am this morning.  Threw everything I carried with me (SP, deadly  dick, rapala, point jude, magic swimmer, Charlie Graves). 

I ended up catching a little guy on a Charlie Graves.  And I had a blast. 

Thanks again, my SOL friends, for sharing your time, knowledge, and generosity.    

Posted (edited) · Report post

1 hour ago, RP McMurphy said:

Wonderful feedback.  Very much appreciated.  Some have made the very fair point that more homework is needed, 

I ended up catching a little guy on a Charlie Graves.  

Things can only get better Homework is good, On the Job Training is better Fishing is a start catching is the reward. This was my start over 70 years ago with a Little Guy Note the Bamboo Rod Wood Butt. 

Me Snapper Blue.jpg

Edited by Cheeckakoe

If there were skeptics about the post of My grandfather making cloths pin lures hope this makes believers. If it moves pisses of a fish they will attack.  

clots pin.jpg

cpldiy.jpg

On ‎7‎/‎30‎/‎2020 at 5:20 PM, RP McMurphy said:

I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to catch a striper on a wooden plug.  I started doing some research, and was plunged headlong into a sea of manufacturers and styles that had my head spinning.  I've read about Gibbs, Mike's, CCW, RM Smith, Afterhours, Beachmaster, and I'm learning terms like Danny, Pikie, Atom 40, Darter, Bottle Plugs, Metal Lips, etc...

Then I thought, the SOL community is probably the best resource for this.  After all, the SOL motto is "We'll help you catch more fish."

So, if I have $100 that I've dedicated to wooden plugs, what's my move?  In case it helps, I fish primarily from shore, sometimes from jetties in MA/NH.

I'm thinking used, because my research has shown me that some of these plugs are expensive!  Been trolling the BST, but admit that I don't really know what I'm looking for. 

Knowing what you know (since it is more than what I know), what manufacturers, styles and colors are recommended for a guy in my situation?

first what is your gear and rod weight ratings?,,,line,,reel size ect,,then you can get a detailed explanation.

if you still want to look around,check out gibb's lures on aamazon,use the link that on this site.

HH

Edited by Heavy Hooksetter

My "new to me" Rod is 10'6", 2-6 oz., and I picked up a used VR175 on BST (upgrade from my 25+ y.o. Penn 105C).  Gear ratio appears to be 4.8:1.  50 lb braid with 30 lb Ande leader. I occasionally go chucking with one of my brothers.  I know this is likely a mistake, but I was looking for a set up that I could use for lures (when I go by myself) and also for the occasional chunking with my bro. (now he gets the 105c).

I know the rod is beefy for SPs and such, but I've been using it for those anyway.  That said, I had some casts that felt right with Charlie Graves and Point Jude tins.

I'm not looking for any spot burning (truly) but I'm still scouting locations, so it's a bit challenging to answer the questions about conditions and current.  The CC canal is a bit of a drive (and damn crowded when I drove through ~3 weeks ago) so the locations I've found so far are from beaches and rock piles.  There are some jetties in the area so that'll be in the mix for me.  So regular tides, but no significant currents, so far at least.

50 mins ago, Cheeckakoe said:

If there were skeptics about the post of My grandfather making cloths pin lures hope this makes believers. If it moves pisses of a fish they will attack.  

clots pin.jpg

cpldiy.jpg

Cheeckakoe - great pics and thanks for sharing the story.  Your grandfather even had a little spinner at the end.  It is art, but he was thinking about catching fish.  I picture your grandmother saying "who keeps taking all my clothepins?!?"

I don't fish in your area but I would mention Super Strike Lures on LI. A majority of the plugs I have are Superstrike - they are plastic but cast and swim perfectly. Most of my other plugs are Bombers & SP Minnows, still a favorite along the Jersey coast. 

31 mins ago, RP McMurphy said:

My "new to me" Rod is 10'6", 2-6 oz., and I picked up a used VR175 on BST (upgrade from my 25+ y.o. Penn 105C).  Gear ratio appears to be 4.8:1.  50 lb braid with 30 lb Ande leader. I occasionally go chucking with one of my brothers.  I know this is likely a mistake, but I was looking for a set up that I could use for lures (when I go by myself) and also for the occasional chunking with my bro. (now he gets the 105c).

I know the rod is beefy for SPs and such, but I've been using it for those anyway.  That said, I had some casts that felt right with Charlie Graves and Point Jude tins.

I'm not looking for any spot burning (truly) but I'm still scouting locations, so it's a bit challenging to answer the questions about conditions and current.  The CC canal is a bit of a drive (and damn crowded when I drove through ~3 weeks ago) so the locations I've found so far are from beaches and rock piles.  There are some jetties in the area so that'll be in the mix for me.  So regular tides, but no significant currents, so far at least.

ok,have a look at gibb's site.

a danny in medium size would work with your rig,add a pencil and as said,check out super strike lures.

HH

On 7/31/2020 at 6:44 AM, DragonsLax48 said:

The Gibbs plugs are excellent proven fish catchers however their finish leaves a lot to be desired.

IF you are referring to the newer Gibbs, I completely agree.  Some of THE worst "finishes" I've ever seen from a commercial builder/company.

BUT, the finish on the old Gibbs plugs is bombproof.  I could just about pound nails with some old 3 oz swimmers (commonly referred to as "bottles").  I think that the most common colors were navy blue/silver/white (Pichney called this "mullet".), yellow/white with sparkles, all yellow, all black, redhead (I love that warm red color!), olive/white ("bunker"?).  The colors are lustrous, deep and rich.  The surface is glass smooth, and looks like you could reach into the paint up to your elbow.  

The white paint will have morphed into anything from off-white light cream to almost tan in color over the decades, which doesn't seem to have any negative impact.

If one wanted a Danny or bottle, I'd be hard pressed to suggest anything other than their 6" Danny, 4 1/2" Danny and 3 oz. bottle when it comes to time-proven fish catchers, ultra-durable and cheap.  Excellent used examples can easily be bought for $10-$15 each.  Many of my friends and I carry the 3 oz bottle for horrible weather.  They made at least two smaller sizes (1 1/2 oz and 2 1/2 oz, IIRC), but they don't perform anywhere near as well as the 3 oz in bad winds.  (I'd get a SS or Northbar bottle if I wanted something in that size.)

Their Polaris poppers are good, especially in the 2 1/4 and 3+ oz sizes, and cheap ($8-$12 each, used), and I use them at times, but I use my SSs in 2 3/8 oz more often because they cast better and do a better job with subsurface swimming IMO.  I have some 1 oz that I plan to test with funny fish very soon.  (Note that this size has screw eyes.)

Their 3H darter has gotten accolades for decades.  It also has screw eyes, which I've never found to be a problem, other than the line tie screw eye.  (Those little basstids rust, then break when I try to unscrew them!)

LIFISHINVT darters are superb.  Find them used or new (private sale) from $12-$18.  IMO, there's no better wooden darter at those price points.

For pencils, I suggest a used Guppy.  It's also time proven and bombproof.  I think you can find them for ~$15 used.

HTH

12 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Stop turning the guy away from wood! If youre looking into wood and dont want to spend an arm and a leg I would pay close attention to the BST plugs want to sell section. Bunch of good deals to be had especially from reputable builders. Cant go wrong with any of the names you mentioned. I always enjoy the strikes you can get from a danny being worked slowly on top. Dannys are always a good bet because they stay on top so are less likely to get hung up on rocks like some of the deeper diving plugs.

The BST will save you a lot of money. Get the repaints too, and paint your own.

On 7/31/2020 at 11:19 PM, Southcoastphil said:

You might want to check out Gerry Audet's video, "$150 Challenge...Could you Do It?"  It is #11 in his "Tools of the Trade video series.  He lives in MA and fishes a lot of BFs.

Although he starts with a $150 budget, he performs further triage to get to $100.  

EDIT:  And to $50.

Can’t find this...got a link?

And the list and opinions go on about what lures are best - To Catch Fishermen )  Sorry it is amusing to me when I go into a Tackle shop and seeing the 10000s available. when there are a few proven Killers. The last 2 posts are Absolute Killers.   Keep in mind Fish are color blind So Colors don't matter or they say. 

store.jpg

wall.JPG

lure blast.jpg

makers mark.jpg

27 mins ago, Kent I said:

Can’t find this...got a link?

Search for

Tools of the Trade #11: $150 Challenge...Could you do it?

Edited by Southcoastphil