RP McMurphy

$100 for Wooden plugs. What now?

Rate this topic

59 posts in this topic

I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to catch a striper on a wooden plug.  I started doing some research, and was plunged headlong into a sea of manufacturers and styles that had my head spinning.  I've read about Gibbs, Mike's, CCW, RM Smith, Afterhours, Beachmaster, and I'm learning terms like Danny, Pikie, Atom 40, Darter, Bottle Plugs, Metal Lips, etc...

Then I thought, the SOL community is probably the best resource for this.  After all, the SOL motto is "We'll help you catch more fish."

So, if I have $100 that I've dedicated to wooden plugs, what's my move?  In case it helps, I fish primarily from shore, sometimes from jetties in MA/NH.

I'm thinking used, because my research has shown me that some of these plugs are expensive!  Been trolling the BST, but admit that I don't really know what I'm looking for. 

Knowing what you know (since it is more than what I know), what manufacturers, styles and colors are recommended for a guy in my situation?

Buy yourself a couple of Daiwa SP Floating Swimmers, 1 oz about $20. A couple packs of Rubber Swim Shads, Storm Tsunami, whatever, 1 and 2 oz., another $10. A Kastmaster in 1 and 1 1/2 oz -$15. A  Yozuri Mag Darters, 1 oz. $15, 2 Smilin Bill Buctails 1 and 2 oz. $10.  Take the leftover $30 and make sure you have a headlamp, pliers, skeeter repellent, some pre- tied leaders , 40# , 3 ft. long with a swivel on one end and Duo-Lock Snap on the other. 

Waders are almost a must unless your fishing from a rockpile, beach fishing without them will surely mean wet and cold and miserable. Have fun. 

I would suggest not limiting yourself to just wooden plugs.

There are plenty of great  plastic plugs on the market and I believe good quality plastic plugs will outlast most wooden plugs.

However, If you insist on wood then I’ll suggest you find a Gibbs pencil popper in white or yellow, a metal lip swimmer( Lots of good makers out there , so you decide which one you like), a Finnish minnow from Rapala and a sinking needlefish( again there are list of good makers to choose from).
That handful of plugs will allow you to fish much of the water column  so I thinks it’s a pretty good start.

I think you need to figure out a few things first before even purchasing a wooden plug. Goes for all plugs really.

1. Where are you fishing? what are the conditions? Are you doing a front beach situation, inlet, or back bay? How deep is it? Does it have strong or weak current?

2. What your rod and reel setup can handle. You got a 10 footer with a vs200......covers a range of lures. Buy lures you can use/throw with your rod. I got multiple rods, so i have a range of lures.

3. Match the hatch. What bait is swimming in your area? Do you need a thin profile? Or a big one? And don't get too too caught up on paint schemes and colors. I have a few plugs that have fancy paint but, most of my plugs are yellow, white, yellow and white, or blurple....There are a few blue ones during mullet season.

I think thats enough to give you an idea of what you're buying instead of blinding purchasing plugs you don't need.

Calm conditions or little current = atom jr, danny or needlefish.

Rough condions or strong current: darter, bottle plug or needlefish.

Keep the colors simple.  Black or blurple at night or white or yellow during daylight.  I suspect there may macks mear you, if so match the hatch.  I think wood fishes better at night or low light personally. 

Fish them slow and when you think your are slow enough, cut it in half.

If availability was not an issue and sticking to $100, I would get would get one RM Smith Peanut, one atom jr and one danny.  Cant go wrong with beachmaster, afterhours or rm smith.  If fishing during daylight, a pencil popper would be good and afterhours makes a great one..

My favorite needles, daters and bottle pligs are all plastic and made by the same manufacturer....

Good luck.

6 hours ago, RP McMurphy said:

I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to catch a striper on a wooden plug.  I started doing some research, and was plunged headlong into a sea of manufacturers and styles that had my head spinning.  I've read about Gibbs, Mike's, CCW, RM Smith, Afterhours, Beachmaster, and I'm learning terms like Danny, Pikie, Atom 40, Darter, Bottle Plugs, Metal Lips, etc...

Then I thought, the SOL community is probably the best resource for this.  After all, the SOL motto is "We'll help you catch more fish."

So, if I have $100 that I've dedicated to wooden plugs, what's my move?  In case it helps, I fish primarily from shore, sometimes from jetties in MA/NH.

I'm thinking used, because my research has shown me that some of these plugs are expensive!  Been trolling the BST, but admit that I don't really know what I'm looking for. 

Knowing what you know (since it is more than what I know), what manufacturers, styles and colors are recommended for a guy in my situation?

Save your money.

you can have this lot of plugs and tinny's, I moved to northern Maine and have no intention of surf fishing , gave my surf rods away 3 yrs ago. Found this bucket of lures in the basement.

I have an Orvis lure bag too, probably filled with lures, somewhere in the basement, you can have it if I can find it, none of this crap is any use to me.

20200730_231538.jpg.0c2fc4f39786f3fa22f5ef50591c170a.jpg

found it, more plugs and hodgman stocking foot waders, just wear boots or sneakers.

PM me your address and I'll toss it all in a box.20200730_234338.jpg.3458bc6bd7ffd69586cf74aa58771eb3.jpg20200730_234354.jpg.850750b6c4e4f34b6fbb8c2a151d73f9.jpg

Posted (edited) · Report post

Where have you been Doc! $100 wooden plugs have been around for some time  now....

5544D5EF-EBD6-46E4-AAEC-35943E24AA50.jpeg

Edited by Tailslap

2 hours ago, Tailslap said:

Where have you been Doc! $100 wooden plugs have been around for some time  now....

5544D5EF-EBD6-46E4-AAEC-35943E24AA50.jpeg

One GRS plug and he should be good to go

You are right, it is a lot of fun to catch on handcrafted wood plugs. These plugs are the result of the time and effort of one individual most of the time which is why they are "expensive".

I think it is natural to move from plastic to wood over time and use both. The wood will take some finesse to get the correct wiggle that the fish are looking for.

With 100$ I think it is reasonable to find 5 used plugs in good shape on the BST. Post a wtb thread. If you want to cover the basics youll want a pencil, danny, a subsurface. CCW Jetty swimmers and Canal Swimmers are my favorite metal lip which can be tuned to swim on the surface or subsurface. BM makes a reliable danny. Pencils are a dime a dozen but they're are PLENTY of duds out there. When in doubt, buy Gibbs Danny, Gibbs Pencil, GIbbs bottle, Gibbs Popper. The Gibbs plugs are excellent proven fish catchers however their finish leaves a lot to be desired.

Make sure you have the the right gear for the job so that you can toss the weight comfortably. An SP is a lot light than a CCW Canal swimmer. You should also be hyperaware of the bait in your area and what you are trying to imitate with these plugs. 

Edited by DragonsLax48

You might want to check out Gerry Audet's video, "$150 Challenge...Could you Do It?"  It is #11 in his "Tools of the Trade video series.  He lives in MA and fishes a lot of BFs.

Although he starts with a $150 budget, he performs further triage to get to $100.  

EDIT:  And to $50.

Edited by TimS
Phil, please don't send folks to commercial websites - thanks :-)

I love to work metal jigs, especially smaller one's with an assist hook that has some teaser on it. 15 - 30 g shore casting jigs made by megabass, CB1, Shout. These work very well in all situations and cost 10-15 each. 

If your set on wood plugs than you can get some rm smith, these are tried and true swimmers that catch and is pretty cheap in comparison to other custom makers. 

On 7/30/2020 at 5:20 PM, RP McMurphy said:

I was thinking, wouldn't it be fun to catch a striper on a wooden plug.  

The member asked a simple question about a wooden Plug & than goes on to describe his research.  And the responses are to look into Plastic. And Wood ( Cedar  ) is for the pros long learning curve. I stared with them many my Grandfather made from pcs of a Broom Handel to small ones from Clothes Pins. Balsa Plugs were the norm. Plastic something they were talking about. There were a few carving Cedar Plugs most the same shapes and the Carvers had their following as Collectors do today.  Asbury Park Show dedicated to them. Fishing has turned from catching fish to catching fisherman with all the BS of Must-haves $400 rods $600 reels $10 - $50 plugs lures with someone's autographed endorsement. 100 of Lines. 1000s of rod styles. Fisherman will argue over what will do a better job of catching fish. A tackle shop was a place to buy what you needed with personalized service within a small footprint. To massive department stores filled with stuff to catch fishermen and with Oh Yea Fishing Pros. to separate your money from your wallet. 

Fishing is Fishing nothing has changed fish were caught 3 steps Hook, Reel Cook. A Bamboo Rod Glass Eyes simple Reel Linen Line Cork Bobber Simple Hook maybe a swivel a Sinker either lead or a Spark Plug and you were fishing. Today Holy S+++ everyone is an expert with opinions & sold on $1000s on equipment. And accomplish no more than what was necessary 100 years ago.  It is seen be seen on an ego trip of got to have who has been hooked the fish or fishermen.  Just My Opinion and having fun with the obvious don't get all flustered remember it is a Fun Sport shared with other like-minded Sportsmen and Woman.   

Forgot my answer--- Yes McMurphy it would be fun to catch a Striper on a Wooden Plug.  

Edited by Cheeckakoe

Stop turning the guy away from wood! If youre looking into wood and dont want to spend an arm and a leg I would pay close attention to the BST plugs want to sell section. Bunch of good deals to be had especially from reputable builders. Cant go wrong with any of the names you mentioned. I always enjoy the strikes you can get from a danny being worked slowly on top. Dannys are always a good bet because they stay on top so are less likely to get hung up on rocks like some of the deeper diving plugs.

Greetings from the West Coast.

There is a lot of good advice here.

Number one, follow Highlander’s advice and just go buy some lures that should work in your area, at this point, nothing fancy!

Number two, turn off your computer, and actually go fishing. Resist the urge to go back to your computer and keep fishing! 

Number three, have fun...

Four.. After you have been to the same beaches a few times at differed tides, maybe start talking to the folks that you have seen once or twice on that beach. DONT RUN UP TO THEM - THEY’LL SPOOK EASILY!!! Talk with them (in a calm and congenital voice) about what they use and what you have been using. You will probably learn a few things.

Five...Patronize your local shop that has a passing knowledge of surfcasting. This could be easier in your area than where I live in California.

Six... keep fishing

Seven ... Find out who the local builders are. They will build plugs for your area. 

Seven... Continue to have fun. 

Eight ... Keep fishing!

Nine ... Keep in mind that a successful trip fishing may not be strictly predicated on wooden plugs from local builders OR plugs made by slaves in China. It will be a mixture. When I look back on the memorable fish I’ve caught over the last 3-4 years, quite a few of those have been caught by on local builders, Winch & Mike Fixter. However, the majority of fish have been caught on diamond jigs, sp minnows, Shimano coltsnipers, swimbaits, etc...

Yes, I’m looking forward to the day that I’m getting lots of memorable fish solely on local wood.

Ten...  I’m not there yet

Edited by Alferd Packer