scoobydoo

I have a few of the NEW Daiwa BG MQ reels....added video

Rate this topic

36 posts in this topic

In regard to the BG 3500 & 4000, why  in your opinion did Daiwa use the same body & rotor on both reels. The line capacity is the only difference. Inshore fish  rarely spooI your reel. 

If the 4000 seems to big for a 7' ST Croix Mojo inshore MHF , will the 3500 feel the same. The 3000 feels slightly small overall, & no power handle . 

12 hours ago, Sevendust111 said:

I plan on pairing a BG (probably the 3500) with an Airwave Elite 9’6 for my first serious dedicated plugging rod. Didn’t even know these were coming out. You guys are way more knowledge than me about the materials and inner workings of reels so what I want to know is if I should wait and get one of these or get the current model.

As a back up rod (it sits in my sister's basement up north) I found the Airwave Elite paired with the BG 4000 to be quite good. The BG 4K is the same body & weight of the BG 3500 (as you probably know) ... but holds more line. About 275 of 20lbs PP Slick 8 braid.

When these BG MQs come around I expect I'll upgrade ... and from reading specs that might be the BG MQ 6000.

Just an opinion. 

1 hour ago, gonfishin said:

In regard to the BG 3500 & 4000, why  in your opinion did Daiwa use the same body & rotor on both reels. The line capacity is the only difference. Inshore fish  rarely spooI your reel. 

If the 4000 seems to big for a 7' ST Croix Mojo inshore MHF , will the 3500 feel the same. The 3000 feels slightly small overall, & no power handle . 

There are other advantages besides preventing being spooled. A larger spool accommodates thicker lines, produces longer casts (with less friction), & is less effected  by increased drag pressure by keeping off the bottom of the spool. All that plus additional spooling insurance with almost no increase in weight.

I question why anyone wants the smaller spool on the same body? Unless you are dealing with very small, very close guides, I see only disadvantages to the 3500 vs 4000. As a inshore false albacore angler, I can tell you, being spooled is a real thing too.

58 mins ago, KironaFly said:

As a back up rod (it sits in my sister's basement up north) I found the Airwave Elite paired with the BG 4000 to be quite good. The BG 4K is the same body & weight of the BG 3500 (as you probably know) ... but holds more line. About 275 of 20lbs PP Slick 8 braid.

When these BG MQs come around I expect I'll upgrade ... and from reading specs that might be the BG MQ 6000.

Just an opinion. 

So I didn’t realized this is the BG “MQ” I thought they were just updating the BG. This is a totally different reel. Oppps. Yea this reel is 100$ more putting it in the range of a lot of other reels. The regular BG blows everything in its price range out of the water. I will never buy a Battle 2 again.

1 hour ago, gonfishin said:

I held the 3000 and 4000. I am no expert, but I wouldnt pair the the 4000 with anything less than an 8 foot  and even then it would be a little too big. I think the 3000 would be nicely with a 7.

Excellent points..thank you. On the Mojo Inshore 7' MHF , the 1st guide is on the smaller side, so the 3500 may be the correct reel. I'm considering the 3000 too , smaller reel holding 190 of 30lb braid.  I'm fishing from a kayak and rely on the  drag to do the work, the 3000 may be fine , except for the smaller handle. 

Question for you.  How does the length of the stem, consequently  the angle the line  comes off the  reel effect performance and feel. Does it make the reel seems "bigger" ?

12 mins ago, Sevendust111 said:

I held the 3000 and 4000. I am no expert, but I wouldnt pair the the 4000 with anything less than an 8 foot  and even then it would be a little too big. I think the 3000 would be nicely with a 7.

I use a 4000 sized BG and Catalina on my 7 footers all the time. Not seeing any drawbacks at all. I have a BG 3000 which I use less on the 7 footers, mainly because the retrieve speed is too slow and the casting distance is a little less.

1 hour ago, Sevendust111 said:

How does reel size have anything to do with rod length? I've used 10k's on mh 7' and it worked like a charm.  I've put hundred of hours on an 8' oz rated 11 footer with a 12oz 4k/6k sized spinner.

On 31/07/2020 at 7:20 AM, canary said:

Rotor is zaion (from old saltigas...

I doubt the rotor is Zaion. It doesn't have that appearance, looking at the reels in the Tackle Advisors vid & other images of them. 

44 mins ago, Steg said:

I doubt the rotor is Zaion. It doesn't have that appearance, looking at the reels in the Tackle Advisors vid & other images of them. 

I was thinking the same but Daiwas site does say Zaion. Maybe they painted it?

^It would be a shame to paint it. I like the way it looks - the resin with its streaky grain looks a bit like polished fossil wood.

My bet is that the site is wrong about the rotor material.

5 hours ago, Steg said:

It's not

2 hours ago, Steg said:

^It would be a shame to paint it. I like the way it looks - the resin with its streaky grain looks a bit like polished fossil wood.

My bet is that the site is wrong about the rotor material.

It's graphite not zaion