ace4570

SS Needlefish

Rate this topic

14 posts in this topic

I was at my local tackle shop and I saw one of these. Curiosity got the best of me and I decided to buy one. How are you supposed to fish these lures? I was looking at it and thought you fish it like a walking bait. I realized that its best to ask this question here before I actually try to throw it.

No retrieve is wrong. However, a good rule of thumb is slow with a slight pause and/or jerk to the lure periodically.

YMMV.

Im in the process of putting in time with the needlefish. So far I've found success throwing the plug into a moderate sweep with a straight retrieve and slight lift of the rod tip to keep it off the sand. Good luck learning a new plug :howdy:

1 min ago, CMSTRIPER said:

No retrieve is wrong. However, a good rule of thumb is slow with a slight pause and/or jerk to the lure periodically.

YMMV.

Thank you that cleared up a lot of questions. Im actually excited to try it out now.

Dont think they work north of cape cod canal but ive had success on the block and rhode island with them. Fish at night near rock bars. Fish them extremely slow with a little jerk hear and there. Think they imatate an actual needle fish. If you ever watch one they don't do much. They just kinda keep along and dart out a baby bait every once in a while.

Tons of vids on the ol youtubes about this. I was fishing it wrong for about a year before I started having any real success. My only advice, in current when you think youre working it slow enough, slow it down more. 

On 7/30/2020 at 0:47 PM, stripedbassjeff said:

Dont think they work north of cape cod canal but ive had success on the block and rhode island with them. Fish at night near rock bars. Fish them extremely slow with a little jerk hear and there. Think they imatate an actual needle fish. If you ever watch one they don't do much. They just kinda keep along and dart out a baby bait every once in a while.

All this is good advice, except for the bit about not working north of the canal. Couple of slow cranks and a twitch. 

On 7/30/2020 at 0:47 PM, stripedbassjeff said:

Fake news needles absolutely work north of the canal and everywhere else for that matter 

Everyone left out the most important part, needles excel at night!! Yes you may catch fish with them in the day but nothing compares to  fishing them in the wee hours, true surfcasters know that a needle is not the first plug out of your bag when the sun is up, can I get an Amen!!! :D

5 hours ago, captahab416 said:

Fake news needles absolutely work north of the canal and everywhere else for that matter 

Yep, I use them on the north shore all the time, always have a couple. Especially the red eyes (heavier ones) in rough water. The bass must hate these things because they get hit hard.

Try the 3oz ones. They cast wicked far.   My favorite is parrot color.  I love throwing it out to sand bars with big surf crashing on them then fizzling out into deep water.  Drag that needle off sand bar into that deep water and feel for that tap.  Hold on tight!   

Edited by Aaron Barmmer