dannyplug1

MARKERS FOR FLY TYING RECOMMEWNDATIONS

Rate this topic

8 posts in this topic

I am thinking with the corona I might be spending more time tying flies next winter and fall.  I  tie salt water and largemouth flies and have a good air brush.  Was thinking of getting a set of copic sharpie or pantell markers.  Any one out there have any recommendations?  thanks Charlie.

For basic colors like red and black Sharpies are fine just get a couple different tip sizes. 

For a wider range of colors I like the Pantone pens that have two tips. One on each end fine and broader. 

Posted (edited) · Report post

Hard to beat the color options with the Copic pens.  They also offer dual ended tips and they're easy to refill if you want to purchase bulk ink.

HT

20200730_204451.jpg.a3bfd349eb9e8c4a72512d445331339f.jpg

Edited by HillTop

Posted (edited) · Report post

I have used Chartpak AD markers for probably 15 years - it is hard to get a variety of colors in Danville Flat Waxed nylon thread, so I by white and color it with the Chartpak markers.  I like to secure the Tail Hackles, as well as the bucktail ends with Loctite water resistant super glue and a few wraps of thread (before veiling the collar or wing of the Flatwing Fly).  I have colored the thread with sharpie pens, but find that some colors are affected by the glue. This does not happen with the Chartpak pens.

Edited by FlatWing

Going to go with the sharpies.  They come in three point types chisel, fine point and extra fine.  What kind do you guys recommend thanks again Charlie 

I like to buy by color, if I like it I get it. My daughter bought me a pack of "Neon Sharpies" that are killer. Go to an art supply store and buy what you like. Home Depot once had an orange Sharpie promotion works great.

I have a bunch of different brands.  Prismacolor and Sharpies, which aren't alcohol based,  are my favorite since I'm able to blend/fade colors into each other easier than the alcohol based markers.  I have three different brands of the alcohol based markers, Copic, Artist's Loft and Art Marker.  One thing I like about the alcohol based markers is that they come in fluorescent colors and bright colors.  

The only color I've had issues with interacting with super glue is yellow and mainly with the alcohol based markers.  It bleeds a nice bright red.