Justinj

Fireline crystal question

Rate this topic

12 posts in this topic

Ive been using 6lb Fireline a few trips now on a light rod. Is it normal for this stuff to look fuzzy/frayed looking? I’ve been pulling on it and the knots seem to be holding fine and haven’t had any breaks but I’m used to power pro

Posted (edited) · Report post

13 mins ago, Saltfruit said:

Was the coating not that thick off the spool?

Crystal usually feels almost waxy even with use. You either got a bad spool or are shredding it.

Yes it was waxy but after using it 6-8times the coating is slowly starting to wear off and fuzzy looking. This is two separate spools as well.  From what I’ve read so far from old posts it’s fairly normal. The uglier it gets the softer and better it performs 

Edited by Justinj

Good to know.  1st year using crystal. Always used reg.   

Bought crystal and the 8 one this year.   So far I like the crystal. Not sure about the 8.  Reminds me of bankline. 

1 hour ago, Justinj said:

Yes it was waxy but after using it 6-8times the coating is slowly starting to wear off and fuzzy looking. 

6-8 isn't as fast as I thought you meant.

I thought you meant only 1-3 trips, super fresh.

I like Fireline, but dislike when it gets fuzzy because it absorbs more water and sinks.

I reverse the line, use the back end and tie the fuzzy end to the spool.Then I'll cut it in half and retie the fuzzy ends together.

Never had any problems with the frayed parts breaking more easily.

All Fireline gets fuzzy after using it a few times. Some people do not like it because of this but it doesn’t bother me. The fuzz does not compromise the strength of the line. Of all the “super lines” on the market today, Fireline is the strongest of them all and also the most abrasion resistant.

12 hours ago, Flip n Dip said:

All Fireline gets fuzzy after using it a few times. Some people do not like it because of this but it doesn’t bother me. The fuzz does not compromise the strength of the line. Of all the “super lines” on the market today, Fireline is the strongest of them all and also the most abrasion resistant.

All braid including fused braid like Fireline get fuzzy and they ALL lose 20-30% of it's original strength when it's fuzzy. I was shocked when I couldn't remember what line I had on the reel and retest the worn section vs the relatively smooth section. Worn section not only lose 30% of the original ABS but also gain more mass by picking up debris after the smooth coating wears off.

2 hours ago, aquaholik said:

All braid including fused braid like Fireline get fuzzy and they ALL lose 20-30% of it's original strength when it's fuzzy. I was shocked when I couldn't remember what line I had on the reel and retest the worn section vs the relatively smooth section. Worn section not only lose 30% of the original ABS but also gain more mass by picking up debris after the smooth coating wears off.

I never noticed Fireline losing that much of its strength after becoming fuzzy. I have some old Fireline on some of my reels and it’s still very strong. 20-30 percent of its strength is a lot to lose. Maybe I never noticed this because Fireline is a lot stronger than its pound test rating. I’m gonna have to test this myself on a scale one day to see how much strength the fuzzy line loses compared to new line.

13 mins ago, Flip n Dip said:

I never noticed Fireline losing that much of its strength after becoming fuzzy. I have some old Fireline on some of my reels and it’s still very strong. 20-30 percent of its strength is a lot to lose. Maybe I never noticed this because Fireline is a lot stronger than its pound test rating. I’m gonna have to test this myself on a scale one day to see how much strength the fuzzy line loses compared to new line.

It over test by more than double. That's why you're not noticing it. 10 lbs Crystal breaks around 28 lbs when new. Fuzzy section near the terminal end still test 20 lbs. FG knot went from 24 lbs to 16 lbs also. Good enough for the occasional 10 lbs Tripletails that likes to crash your small mangrove snappers party.20200728_124032.jpg.396ffd418075947e9fe01d2ee52f3729.jpg20200728_123948.jpg.70fbd0d3d30a623753f8fe38a431b52d.jpg