Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Capecod365

Atom ??

21 posts in this topic

I recently got into collecting, to me this looks like an Atom 40. Can anyone confirm? The paint job makes me a little nervous, I haven’t seen any look like this before. 
Thanks 

29959462-7613-4F55-8C5E-C823F15EAFB4.jpeg

a little fyi, not being nasty here...but by posting your new to collecting you'll get every guy out there trying to sell you their CRAP at high prices...look at only new in the box..take your time to hunt...seek answers to how much a color maybe worth..common or rare..study history..read everything you come across about the plug you may want..Google is your friend..the best atoms are wood and plastic with brass wire...mint means not even a little scuff..no rust..no rubs...anything else is considered used..price drops a lot....the one you posted above to me is worth 3-5 dollars...just saying buyer beware.

Posted (edited) · Report post

3 hours ago, capesams said:

a little fyi, not being nasty here...but by posting your new to collecting you'll get every guy out there trying to sell you their CRAP at high prices...look at only new in the box..take your time to hunt...seek answers to how much a color maybe worth..common or rare..study history..read everything you come across about the plug you may want..Google is your friend..the best atoms are wood and plastic with brass wire...mint means not even a little scuff..no rust..no rubs...anything else is considered used..price drops a lot....the one you posted above to me is worth 3-5 dollars...just saying buyer beware.

Steve some good points however to some the old plugs still have a higher value then you posted for Atom or for any other plug as well that may have been sitting in some ones collection for many years. Any one beginning to be a collector needs a place to begin with and not all old plugs will have boxes with them any longer , which to some collectors reduces the value , and rightfully so.   I would value the above plug in the 10 to 20 dollar range and if some one wanted to begin a collection with such a plug In my opinion would not go wrong paying in That range . Value is all a matter of personal opinions .    Now for example , I have one of your signed Pencils that I value some where around the $40.00 mark . No box , since you never had it in a box .  It has been in my collection for a few years and if I was to sell it I would start at that price, Now if I had the one of the flag series plugs you make It would be over $100 some where. It is all a matter of opinions and what you could sell it for . No plug should ever be less than what it once cost unless it is a complete beater and the one shown above is no beater my friend           Peace and Prayers 

Edited by Angler #1

I understand we all start out collecting beaters because there are many to be had for cheap...but instead of buying many to collect volume which is very common place...sit back take a breath and buy the best..this is where the true value is..money wise and selling wise...good items hold for the most part good value now and years down the road...but if you want hangers to fill your garage ceiling for decoration go for it.

Steve collecting is what you make of it and having once had collections which included lead weights, eel skin rigs, rods , reels, and of course plugs . and of course like some who made fishing gear like Mr. Pond who as you found out also made metal along with plugs and Mr K who made plugs and jigs were my primary goals. However time take over and one needs to decide at some point what needs to go and what needs to stay.  I also would mention having been a collector of spoons and any thing fishing in general keeps the interest of the fishing history alive and well for the future . For me it is time to pass some of it on for the future and the basic values are what ever you deem them to be and can fairly sell to a new collector. How about answering my question on the worth of one of your signed pencils from another time?    I have sold wood Atoms from another time that for me were beaters for example that some told me that had no value and even when shown and explained what may or may not be the actual value folks were willing to pay far more than what the worth told to me me by others just so that they could say they own a piece of canal fishing history. So the value is not perhaps the plug itself but the historical value it holds that they know has the real value and that is all they wanted . Its not just the looks of something that matters in all cases.    Peace and Prayers

the fishing market can and is a very squirrely place..many factors come into play...then prices depend on who you talk too...opinions are many...today those atoms may go for 9.99 then someone dumps or finds a huge stash of hundreds and puts them up for sale...opps! they just went from 9.99 to 3.00 as in the case of the so-co swimmers from RI...time was they'd hit 7-8 hundred each..then up pops 60 new ones from a basement..now you can't get even half that price....there's only an about price today..watch the market..plug prices have bottomed out on everything...except for the very rare where there maybe only one or two known...back to plastic atom 40's..there's tons of used on the market.I've never paid more then 3.00 for any of the doz's an doz's I have found...someone new to them may pay 20.00 for one but soon learn they paid to much...do your homework first then go shopping.

that pencil I would need to see a picture to tell as to give you a fair worth...in my opinion. :]

Wow-3to5-dollars for that plug seems very low-put new hooks-no rear hook-put a flag on the rear-fish it and watch the nice action-get ready for the take--rreelman

The one statement from Steve's posts that I absolutely agree with is "the fishing market can and is a very squirrely place." 

I have met some interesting and helpful people through plug collecting, but I have also been duped into buying a "fake" box simply because I was naive. I just assumed that it was the real thing; I originally wrote "I was victimized into buying a 'fake' box" but the reality is I bought it without checking into it carefully. I spent $500 for the box and plug and never did my due diligence; yes, there's no CarFax for plugs, but shame on me for putting out that kind of money without doing everything I could to authenticate it.

Ultimately, I did some research and traced the origin of this "fake" and was really surprised and disappointed to learn what I did at how and who most likely created it and how it was passed on through other collectors.

That's why I believe the best option is to talk to many collectors and trace the history of a plug you are interested in before making a purchase. In the end, however, if you like a plug and want to add it to your collection, then after gathering all the information you can, you still decide to purchase it at a price you decide is reasonable, good for you.

Frankly, I have been surprised at the range of ethics I have run across in the plug collecting world, but as someone once told me, you can't control what others do. But I know that I can sleep at night with a clear conscience when I return someone's money in full for a plug after it is discovered not to be what I thought it was. Be up front and let someone know that you aren't sure and encourage him or her into looking for "the rest of the story."

Sorry for the rambling, but I sincerely hope that as Capecod365 progresses in his plug collecting that others will help him out and avoid some of the pitfalls that at first left me bitter, but now just make me shrug and say, "Oh, well; what are you gonna do."

Dave

My advice:  go to tag sales and flea markets. Buy anything usable that you can get for $1.-$5.00. The try to do some research and the ones that are just regular plugs use and be happy.  And if you get a real good one, great. 

Geez, you guys are wound pretty tight. To OP I’d say buy what you like but as the others have said buyer beware. Start cheap until you know a bit more of what you want, and what you want and are able to pay. It’s supposed to be fun! Don’t turn it into a job! 

unfortunately in the collecting world and this means "anything" you may collect..there's those who will pass off fakes as real or alter to make new to fool the unexpected..yes collecting should be fun and can be...I will say this I find there's more dirty dealer's then there's guy's on the up an up...wish it wasn't so but I've been around the block enough to know this is a fact..and it all has to do will making a few extra bucks to put in their pocket....these guys can put a bad taste in anyone's mouth and spoil  a good an fun thing...I learned fast after buying one bridge..lol.